2023 Garden Thread

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Sounds like a perfect stew, rabbit included.

This rabbit has been hanging at my place since it was a wee one earlier this spring. It shows up multiple times per day, including just now.
SF

IMG_3754.jpeg

Smalma

Life of the Party
SF -
Based what I see in my garden I would think your plantings would be of low interest to the rabbits. Over the last 6 or 7 years I have "issues" with rabbits eating various small plants in my vegetable garden. On the list of preferred spring foods (at least in my garden have been peas, broccoli, beans, and kale. I regularly grow a various of "squashes" both summer and winter varieties (as well as corn, potatoes, onions, to tomatoes, peppers) without rabbit grazing issues. I suspect the degree of garden grazing might depend on what other food sources they have. Will be interest what others have seen in their gardens.

BTW -
Picked the first strawberries over the weekend - going to be a bumper crop.

Curt

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Stonedfish,

Given the way traffic works over that corner, anything you plant will end up squash.

Unfortunately, so are likely correct Sg.
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
View attachment 67047

One of these placed carefully, and train the Squash and Cukes up it...
Problem Solved
:)

That would work.
Waste Management took the corner out twice. Both times required a tow truck to get the garbage truck out of the ditch....yet I received no note from them either time regarding their landscaping attempts with two sets of dually wheels. :ROFLMAO:
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Yeah garbage trucks did a number on one of my jobs also, several times. Never could get them to pick up a phone and get back to me when calling them about it. Finally they ran over the water meter, and the PUD was able to get their attention.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have been picking kale leaves and something called perpetual spinach. Kale is volunteers from last year anf the perpeual spinach is something new for me. I have been just seeding Bloomsdale long standing for 4 decades but this new stuff is wonderful

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
So I have been doing a lot of driving and I see everyone's gardens going in and there are distinct styles that people plant in. I have seen a lot of really mounded rows with deep valleys between, a foot or more tall. I have seen and understand melons and squash and other vining plants on a mound, but never whole rows for the entire garden. What's the advantage for doing the entire garden like this?

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So I have been doing a lot of driving and I see everyone's gardens going in and there are distinct styles that people plant in. I have seen a lot of really mounded rows with deep valleys between, a foot or more tall. I have seen and understand melons and squash and other vining plants on a mound, but never whole rows for the entire garden. What's the advantage for doing the entire garden like this?
My belief is the mounded soil heats up faster
Like a raised bed but no walls holding it together

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Drains better, I know several folks with clay soils who 'garden on top' of the poorly draining soils this way, also soils heat up faster, and less weeds also I guess. They add the organics to last years mounds, shape 'em up, and plant.
Sometimes gardeners just do what works, and a combination of fast warming, well draining fertile soils is hard to beat...

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Drains better, I know several folks with clay soils who 'garden on top' of the poorly draining soils this way, also soils heat up faster, and less weeds also I guess. They add the organics to last years mounds, shape 'em up, and plant.
Sometimes gardeners just do what works, and a combination of fast warming, well draining fertile soils is hard to beat...
I can see the drainage issue around here. The specific gardens I have been watching from the road have mounded the existing tilled soil. One guy has his tomatoes planted on huge mounds, probably pushing 2 feet taller then the surrounding soil. I have also seen several doing the no till, placing straw or mulch down then laying the row of rich soil/compost on top. Then theres one garden I drive by daily where they just till and plant, always have huge tomato plants.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
Feels like no garden thread would be complete without mentioning invasive Japanese knotweed (https://www.nwcb.wa.gov/weeds/japanese-knotweed). I have a little bit on my property and have been fighting it for years, mostly because my next door neighbor sucks at taking care of their property.

Maybe everyone knows this already, but for me at least I was really surprised to hear it is a) edible (https://www.phillyorchards.org/2020/04/22/japanese-knotweed-edible-medicinal-invasive/#:~:text=Mature shoots are much tougher,the trend for foraged foods.) and b) super medicinal, in that it is crazy high in resveratrol - a potent antioxidant found in the skin of red grapes, and, as it turns out, found in super high concentrations in knotweed.

Here is just one of many studies on resveratrol (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5435979/).

Another weird cool fact about resveratrol - studies are showing that consumption can help reduce the probability of sunburn. As a lifetime surfer, getting some sunscreen “from the inside out” would be great. Given that resveratrol is also found in red grape skins….glass of red wine, anyone?

Still don’t want knotweed in my yard, but at least now I yank it out with a respectful nod.

Also, say hello to my new supplement. I have a surf trip coming up later this month….will I come back looking more like George Hamilton? Who knows?

E66E2F2A-07C7-41E5-87EB-A7D44D9A1AF7.jpegCEE6D471-C8B1-437A-A440-47485F87D122.jpeg

Last edited:

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Feels like no garden thread would be complete without mentioning invasive Japanese knotweed (https://www.nwcb.wa.gov/weeds/japanese-knotweed). I have a little bit on my property and have been fighting it for years, mostly because my next door neighbor sucks at taking care of their property.

Maybe everyone knows this already, but for me at least I was really surprised to hear it is a) edible (https://www.phillyorchards.org/2020/04/22/japanese-knotweed-edible-medicinal-invasive/#:~:text=Mature shoots are much tougher,the trend for foraged foods.) and b) super medicinal, in that it is crazy high in resveratrol - a potent antioxidant found in the skin of red grapes, and, as it turns out, found in super high concentrations in knotweed.

Here is just one of many studies on resveratrol (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5435979/).

Another weird cool fact about resveratrol - studies are showing that consumption can help reduce the probability of sunburn. As a lifetime surfer, getting some sunscreen “from the inside out” would be great. Given that resveratrol is also found in red grape skins….glass of red wine, anyone?

Still don’t want knotweed in my yard, but at least now I yank it out with a respectful nod.

Also, say hello to my new supplement. I have a surf trip coming up later this month….will I come back looking more like George Hamilton? Who knows?

View attachment 67198View attachment 67197
Battles fought and primarily organically over 40plus years.
Himalayan blackberries- grub hoeing and later crossbow
Ivy- made me realize I amhighly allergic to-it
Jerusalem artichoke. Meh! Took me 5years of digging and sifting. Contemplating borrowing a hog
Bind weed and morning glory. 2’ trenches and sifting
Aclepsia- butterfly bush and salal they appear everywhere here. Along with grape hyacincth and bluebells- always digging up bulbs.
Rue -0- grace- used to have a medicinal herb garden with it in it. That sheet now can send me to the emergency room!

There are a lot of other volunteer battles. I grow dandelions now. I have learned that they are pretty. No lawn anymore. I grow pink dandelions and put the leaves in salads.