2023 Garden Thread

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I posted this on a sw wa gardening page with 3500 members, wish me luck. I do this usually in late May.

“I would like to thin out my greenhouse.Okay i started seed very early and i have tomato plants , not a ton but a couple dozen to find homes for. The thing I insist on is, if interested you have the abilty to repot into larger containers and provide a warm place to care for them until planting season which is no earlier than mid May . They are after all my progeny and I always try to find homes for them rather than the compost pile. An orphanage is way better. They are 6-8” tall. I will not place holds on varieties for you. The plants are from seed saved from 10-30 years ago. Varieties are: and many have a couple of plants per small 4” pot.

The photo is a shot of the full greenhouse. The ones i am wanting to share are there in the jungle. They have had a heated space and warm mats beneath at a regulated 72 deg i water twice a day a small amount.

Great Red(from USSR in 1991)rare medium sz
Zapotek(pleated)
Cuostrallee
Striped German
Purple Cherokee
Giant Belgian-(large pink)
Marvel Stripe(mexico-large orange w/ red)
Red currant( tomato the sz of small fingernail)
kids love them as an interactive thing”D814F1B2-EF18-4BAE-BEC4-4ED9F6F7962F.jpeg

“72 of anything is a lot. “ he said

cdnred

Life of the Party
First rhododendron bloom of the year - 'alba' which is a white flowering variant. These are very hardy, early blooming rhodies from Mongolia/Siberia/NoChina with small white flowers, normal variety is pink/purple.

So far the cold snap doesn't seen to have done much damage. Right in the middle of it, I had 35 big trees removed which really opens up some new planting opportunities to expand the collection.

View attachment 57286
I love the color of Rhodies and was planning to plant some this spring once the weather clears. Our house along the front is facing east so it gets morning sun with shade in the afternoon onwards. I was looking to plant perhaps 4 Rhodies along the front along the front of the house. I've heard that Rhodies are good in that scenerio. I was also planning on planting some Rhodies along the driveway which gets full sun the whole day. Was looking at getting some Rhodies that only grow only to about 3 ft high but will bloom throughout the summer. Do you know of any varieties of Rhodies that will bloom throughout the summer in full sun or are they best in morning sun with shade after, any recommendations..? Or would Azaleas be better suited along the driveway..? We live in Zone 6-7 nearby the Detroit, MI area..

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I love the color of Rhodies and was planning to plant some this spring once the weather clears. Our house along the front is facing east so it gets morning sun with shade in the afternoon onwards. I was looking to plant perhaps 4 Rhodies along the front along the front of the house. I've heard that Rhodies are good in that scenerio. I was also planning on planting some Rhodies along the driveway which gets full sun the whole day. Was looking at getting some Rhodies that only grow only to about 3 ft high but will bloom throughout the summer. Do you know of any varieties of Rhodies that will bloom throughout the summer in full sun or are they best in morning sun with shade after, any recommendations..? Or would Azaleas be better suited along the driveway..? We live in Zone 6-7 nearby the Detroit, MI area..

There are over 1,000 different species of rhododendron (azaleas are a sub-type of rhododendron) and a myriad of human created hybrids. If you're focused on a specific flower color, size and hardiness, I'm thinking you're most likely looking for one of the named hybrids. The 'PJM' family of hybrids are very popular in landscapes. Here's a page I found with a quick Google that might help: https://www.gardenia.net/guide/hardiest-azaleas-and-rhododendrons

My personal interest is not the fancy flowering hybrids, rather the true-to-type species plants, some of which the flowers are a let down compared to the foliage. Weyerhauser in Federal Way has one of the best collections and a nice overview here: https://rhodygarden.org/our-plants/rhododendrons/about-rhododendrons/

cdnred

Life of the Party
There are over 1,000 different species of rhododendron (azaleas are a sub-type of rhododendron) and a myriad of human created hybrids. If you're focused on a specific flower color, size and hardiness, I'm thinking you're most likely looking for one of the named hybrids. The 'PJM' family of hybrids are very popular in landscapes. Here's a page I found with a quick Google that might help: https://www.gardenia.net/guide/hardiest-azaleas-and-rhododendrons

My personal interest is not the fancy flowering hybrids, rather the true-to-type species plants, some of which the flowers are a let down compared to the foliage. Weyerhauser in Federal Way has one of the best collections and a nice overview here: https://rhodygarden.org/our-plants/rhododendrons/about-rhododendrons/
Thank you much for the leads..!! Both sites contain a wealth of information and ideas for creating colorful Rhododendron and Azalea flower beds..

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Tomatoes and peppers are getting a wee bit large. I get anxious about starting plants too. I know better than to plant too early. However, with incredible light fixtures and a temp controlled 22” x 60 heating mat and sill heat mats and others i have 7 1/2’ of trays. I was excited to get going about 7 weeks early. So bought some ever larger transplanting pots that are swell and heavy gauge and I am repotting to contain the growth.

2499EADA-7ADD-4D79-89BE-C4CBC5C230CA.jpeg

cdnred

Life of the Party
If you live close enough to Portland you should visit Crystal Springs Rhododendron Gardens

I live on the other side of the country across from Detroit, MI. I saw that there were some ever blooming varieties of Rhododendrons that blow thru spring, summer and fall. I enjoy color the summer thru so I was hoping to find some of those ever blooming varieties to plant around the house. Either that or some Azaleas..

The west coast have some great gardens and weather for growing Rhododendrons. I have a buddy that lives in West Richland and his yard looks more like it's on the Olympic Peninsula..

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I live on the other side of the country across from Detroit, MI. I saw that there were some ever blooming varieties of Rhododendrons that blow thru spring, summer and fall. I enjoy color the summer thru so I was hoping to find some of those ever blooming varieties to plant around the house. Either that or some Azaleas..

The west coast have some great gardens and weather for growing Rhododendrons. I have a buddy that lives in West Richland and his yard looks more like it's on the Olympic Peninsula..
Ireally have no idea where folks actually live on this forum. I do get caught assuming… more often than I want to in retrospect.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I always have a problem with the seedstarting mixes not absorbing water. They are pretty much hydrophobic. I found a way to premoisten the mix that actually works. Dump your mix in a bucket.

20230327_164942.jpg

Bring some water to a boil, turn off the heat and add a few drops of dawn dish soap to break the surface tension. Then pour over your mix.

20230327_165229.jpg

Seal it off to steam with a lid or whatever. It should be moist and take water readily in a few hours but I just leave it overnight.

20230327_165332.jpg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I always have a problem with the seedstarting mixes not absorbing water. They are pretty much hydrophobic. I found a way to premoisten the mix that actually works. Dump your mix in a bucket.

View attachment 59525

Bring some water to a boil, turn off the heat and add a few drops of dawn dish soap to break the surface tension. Then pour over your mix.

View attachment 59526

Seal it off to steam with a lid or whatever. It should be moist and take water readily in a few hours but I just leave it overnight.

View attachment 59527
I read the first line and was thinking "just put it in a bucket and add water for a day". Looks like you got a solution. I like 40% of the seedling mix, 40% topsoil with worm castings from the bi-mart and 20% from the maple leaf mold bin. Good luck with your projects this year.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I read the first line and was thinking "just put it in a bucket and add water for a day". Looks like you got a solution. I like 40% of the seedling mix, 40% topsoil with worm castings from the bi-mart and 20% from the maple leaf mold bin. Good luck with your projects this year.
You would think just add water 🤷‍♂️ I have put it in a bucket with plain water and the next day it was still resisting, stirred vigorously, nope, filled the starting cells and added bottom water, nope, spray bottle on the surface, nope, beads right up. The key is the dawn and hot steam I think.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For seeds I was using a product called Redi-Earth with good results
Can’t seem to find it so I’ve now been using 1 part coco coir
1 part vermiculite
1 part pumice or perlite
That’s it
Easy to hydrate and working well