2023 Garden Thread

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
My unfertilized, never watered, 30/60/10 moss/grass/other (not dandelion or plantain) “lawn” ain’t hurtin’ nobody. And it’s a good play surface for my little kids. At this point it’s a locally adapted eco-turf.

Yeah, we realized how shitty of parents we were after we re did our backyard and left no real play zone so I had to build my kid a fort. She plays there, and digs in the mud under the deck 🤷‍♂️.

36214B77-1FED-485B-A9E5-540D1C5DECE6.jpeg

Last edited:

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'll be starting most of my pepper seads two weeks from now. My growing season is such that the varieties that take longer are going to push right up against the first frost in October so they need to be 6" tall before they go in the ground in late May to have any chance of really producing much I can use.
Starting my peppers tomatoes and shallot seed in about a week or so also…i can garden year round in downtown Vancouver. Just got a new 21”x60” heat mat and sill mats and grow lights i got last year. Have a chiltepin plant i pulled from the garde last fall and have been caring for it all winter in the heated greenhouse. It will get plunked into the garden around June 1st…

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I've been happily lawn free since 2021.

We're trying to move in that direction here in NC (we had in Bend) -xeriscaping to some degree, using mixes of miniclovers, wild grasses, and various native shrubbery - probably look like hell when we're done, but will be maintenance free (you try mowing in 100 degree heat with 99% humidity) :LOL:

Cheers

Last edited:

cdnred

Life of the Party
Seeing lots of stuff popping up and out on my daily walks around the neighborhood.
Good amount of bee activity today.
For the love of god, my lawn could almost use a mow….:geek:
SF
Have you noticed a recent uptick in the bee population..? I had heard that they were taking quite a hit on the west coast, dying off..

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Have you noticed a recent uptick in the bee population..? I had heard that they were taking quite a hit on the west coast, dying off..

The last few years, at least at my place there hasn’t been as many bees as in years past. It was good to see a decent amount of activity already yesterday with the nice weather. I’m no bee expert, but hopefully that is a good sign.
Maybe others with more knowledge will chime in on this.
SF

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
We're trying too move in that direction her in NC (we had in Bend) -xeriscaping to some degree, using mixes of miniclovers, wild grasses, and various native shrubbery - probably look like hell when we're done, but will be maintenance free (you try mowing in 100 degree heat with 99% humidity) :LOL:

Cheers

Yeah, we put in a lot of flowers, ornamental grasses etc. There's still maintenance, but we like the maintenance. Our daughter helps grow stuff from seed, etc so it's good for the family.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Lawn is a biological desert...no reason for a pollinator to waste any energy there.
The expanding white clover patch of my (non)patented "Matt B's Tough Love Eco-Turf Mix" lawn hosts lots of bees, even honey bees. Someone around here has honey bees. Just ask my barefoot kids who seem to step on one or two every year.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like a nice clover patch. Bees like it.
I tell my wife there is grass and there is lawn. We have grass which besides mowing I don’t do much else to it. We have a lot of it. A nice beautiful lawn is a different story altogether.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
i grew up in Pasadena CA
Sierra Madre to be exact
We had a dichondra lawn
My dad was into it
He had 5 weeders working for him which was definitely needed

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I have been asked to 'do something' about the back lawn where the perennial garden is. The perennial garden itself is fine, the lawn is a disgrace, somewhere between vacant lot and crackhouse that has had cars parked on it for decades. Soils are poor, compacted and rocky.

'Do something' is pretty wide open...but I am hesitant to ask for more detailed 'guidance', as that might mean being asked for my thoughts.
;)
The sad reality is, I will likely be doing a complete renovation of that area, about 1300 sq ft. Removal of existing weed patch, adding 6" of 60/40 sand/ compost mix topsoil, grading, rolling and all that, then seed...which will result in as fine a turf lawn as anyones, but one for which I will then need to water, fertilize and mow....and hate.
This is not good, so I change the subject, but I fear that tactic is wearing thin...
:)