2022 Salmon Chatter

JayB

Steelhead
Heard some interesting chatter on the 6/10 Fish/HuntNW podcast. Relevant Segment 45:18-50:00. Sounds like the folks in the ocean are already encountering coho? Predicting many more coho this year than last year. How does that jive with other forecasts, intel?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not the coast, I’ve been watching the MA 10 creel reports since it opened plus a couple other places I see reports. Some fish being caught. Nothing big but that is to be expected at this time of the year. Tasty little guys though.
May try a few local spots but won’t fish much until MA 9 opens. That will give them about a month to grow since MA 10 beaches suck compared to MA 9.
Will take a 9 day coho staycation sometime in September. Bummer we are losing the last week of the month in MA 9.
Hopefully 2022 isn’t the continued trend of the 3 lb PS coho…….
SF

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Can't speak to coho specifically, but I know when the spring commercial season opened on May 1 the trollers were absolutely crushing chinook out here in area 2. I have also personally put eyes on more salmon this spring than I've ever seen while bottomfishing. There were a few days in late April when I was seeing upwards of 20 jumpers a day while fishing lingcod, and one day we had several small schools of salmon swim right by our boat just under the surface.

All forecasts are calling for a banner year down here, and from what I've seen I expect that to be the case for sure.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Good reports from John at John’s sporting goods on coho. Limits nearly every trip out area 10.

Johns sporting goods? Never heard of it, looked them up and wow…in Everett too. Nice website. Thanks for the post. I’m slightly embarrassed I never heard of them.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Teds is gone. But Teds and Ed’s Surplus was a main fishing stop for me at one time. Always got my license from Ed’s. They had some cool stuff there. Both gone now.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Teds is gone. But Teds and Ed’s Surplus was a main fishing stop for me at one time. Always got my license from Ed’s. They had some cool stuff there. Both gone now.
Was that the Ed's in Mt. Vernon?

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Ted's was shangri-la to a 5 yr old in the early 70's, I loved going there, and Ed's too. I almost liked going there more than fishing, almost LOL!

skyrise

Steelhead
John is the guy to talk if your fishing gear up north here. Especially the San Juan islands. Back in the day I’d have gone to Mike (Ted’s) first about Puget sound. Mike did some guiding back then and knew the skinny on fishing the sound. Ed’s surplus was great back. As was Jerry’s surplus for many years. Family owned very nice folks.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
There used to be a sporting goods store in M.V. called Ed's ..something or other.
It was by the base of the bridge downtown.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
There used to be a sporting goods store in M.V. called Ed's ..something or other.
It was by the base of the bridge downtown.
Yeah, what the hell was that called...

The building that it was in is now a parking lot. Probably a combo of downtown MV needing more parking and the skagit flooding there multiple times back in the 90's/00's

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 8.18.56 AM.png

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Yeah, what the hell was that called...

The building that it was in is now a parking lot. Probably a combo of downtown MV needing more parking and the skagit flooding there multiple times back in the 90's/00's

View attachment 19672

Wasn’t there a fly shop that used to be in that strip of buildings that are now gone. Something like Skagit Angler?
SF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Wasn’t there a fly shop that used to be in that strip of buildings that are now gone. Something like Skagit Angler?
SF
Oh yeah, I think that's right. I guess I forgot it was a fly shop. I was remembering it more as a general fishing place.