2022 Salmon Chatter

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Looks like I got a trip lined up for Sunday. Never fished 10 from the boat, but I think I am going to try launching from the slings in Edmonds. Thoughts?

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Looks like I got a trip lined up for Sunday. Never fished 10 from the boat, but I think I am going to try launching from the slings in Edmonds. Thoughts?
If you decide to go to Shilshole, get there early. The line can get long.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
For a major opener like Chinook or a derby 2+hrs or more, normal weekends 1hr or so

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Ryan,
Since you are in Tacoma, have you considered driving to Kingston?
That puts you darn near right at Jeff Head and might save you some fishing time and not having to deal with Seattle traffic heading back south.

I’ve not launched there myself but maybe others will chime in who have to see if that is a viable option for your fishing this weekend.
SF

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ryan,
Since you are in Tacoma, have you considered driving to Kingston?
That puts you darn near right at Jeff Head and might save you some fishing time and not having to deal with Seattle traffic heading back south.

I’ve not launched there myself but maybe others will chime in who have to see if that is a viable option for your fishing this weekend.
SF
Yeah, I typically would do that but we are headed up that way for a friend's 1st birthday. My wife I on setup duty so I'll get out with the kids and the father of the kid while they do all the hardwork.

JayB

Steelhead
Aside from making me want to go fishing instead of frantically removing and rebuilding 100 feet of fence while my wife is gone with the kids, this thread is reminding me that we probably have roughly the same number of boat launches that we had in 1957 - or maybe fewer - despite a population that has at least pentupled since then.

Given the lay of the land in WA, the only practical solution is to devise an ingenious scheme by which I can become wealthy enough to buy a slip and a twin-engine boat that can get me wherever I want to go in the Puget Sound in 30 minutes or less...

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Today was the MA1 salmon opener so we ran south of Willapa to see what we could find.

What we found was the best opening day salmon fishing Ive ever experienced down here. It was pretty silly. Nothing huge, as expected for this early, but good quality fish. Full limits of chinook, including for the crew, and even found a 5 lb hatchery coho.

All signs are pointing to this being a salmon season that will be talked about for years to come out here on the coast.

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Went out of Edmonds today for some rezzies. We ended up with three for the boat with one lost at the net before the wind picked up. Standard cookie cutter 3-5 lbers.

For those trying to match the hatch, they are stuffed full of Amphipods (I think) still. Here is a real zoomed in phot for you guys. Maybe like size 22 haha.
PXL_20220626_215555086.MP.jpg

Thanks for all the info on the Edmonds launch. Was a fun thing for the kids to see.

IMG_20220626_143215.jpg

EDIT: Not krill but some type on Amphipod: http://wsg.washington.edu/wordpress...ns/Marine-Zooplankton-Identification-Card.pdf

Last edited:

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
There also used to be a tackle shop in Lynnwood called Flip's that I really liked. It was just down the street from Ed's.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Pretty decent MA 10 coho catch stats.
74 coho for 98 anglers.
SF

EE71BFDB-DF99-420A-8118-9F0468399A09.jpeg
E7B12276-05FA-42C3-8D7B-FEA14C4FA183.jpeg

SJE

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Going to give MA 10 a go this Saturday. Any intel on what depth water the coho have been found in? I heard one report on the Outdoor Line that they were getting fish in the top 30 feet of the water column, and also trolling a cut plug in the prop wash produced some fish. I thought I would start with a sinking line and some smaller baitfish patterns. I will scout around and report back, but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
All my fish were caught with 75 on the wire. White Needle fish hootchie with sparkle skirt was the hot ticket. We were fishing after 8 though so that might be the difference

Reactions: SJE

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Good to see some solid MA 10 numbers. I was worried based on the lack of rezzies encountered this winter SRC fishing. Makes me excited for mid July.

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anyone know if they will revise the estimates for Puget Sound kings like they do for Columbia River fish? Once the get a count could more opportunity be granted?