2022 Salmon Chatter

Bagman

Steelhead
Anyone know if they will revise the estimates for Puget Sound kings like they do for Columbia River fish? Once the get a count could more opportunity be granted?
Wouldn’t that be nice, If Im reading the July 1 2022- June 30 2023 sport fishing rules we are going to have a full 6 days of fishing in marine area 9, maybe they will add a Wednesday or two in just to keep us retired old farts happy🤨

Smalma

Life of the Party
ThatGuyRyuRy -
No real mechanism to update the PS Chinook run size for the marine recreational fisheries. That is due in at least part because those fisheries are mixed stock fisheries that are limited by the weakest stock.

Bagman
My read of the new pamphlet for the MA 9 summer Chinook matches what was agreed to in NOF. That is during the period July 14 to July 28 the fishery is limited to Thursday through Saturday (6 days) then continues daily July 28 through August 15 until the MA 9 harvest quota (4,700 Chinook) is reached. No really expects the fishery to last until the 15th but you could see a few more days of fishing.

Curt

headduck

Steelhead
For what its worth... we've been hitting coho and kings about 50/50 in the strait... the coho are decent sized and feisty.... the kings the opposite. Ironic.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
I fished a well known MA 11 beach on Sunday. There were several boats offshore which were clearly trolling for... salmon? The regs state:

Open Wednesdays through Saturdays only. Chinook - min. size 22”. Other salmon species - no min. size. Daily limit 2. Up to 1 Chinook may be retained. Release wild Chinook and chum.

Who can tell me what's the story?

headduck

Steelhead
I dont fish 11 but in general... Folks aren't that bright ... some just dont care... some actually dont know... some are allowed to fish whenever however they want... look at creel reports and you'll see all sorts of out of season fish ... the last group dont get counted.

Bagman

Steelhead
I took a walk with my son and grandson at a MA area 9 beach today. Happen to see a bug chucker fishing. There were birds working a spot just off shore. Never saw the guy hook anything. But it really looked to me like he was fishing for salmon.