2022 Garden Thread

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Electric toothbrush pollination vibration everybodies doin it. Going to have to. Cuz our better living through all those wonderful chems had killed a lot of pollinators. I have a thousand mason bees. They only un mud themselves for a short 6 to 8 weeks too early to help pollinate tomatoes or later crops . More flowering attractors to plant. Pollination has been a noticeable issue here on the wet side for a few years now

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Successful Croptober
For planting neglected seedlings in early August they did surprisingly well, should be enough to keep the misses happy all winter😎 which means less guilt sneaking away in the mornings for winter steel.
BC God bud, Green Mountain Grape, Blue Cookies, Lebanese X OG Kush
It can rain now ☔ bring on the Chantrells.
20221007_114213.jpg
20221003_100649.jpg
20221003_095715.jpg

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
For the first time since I bought my home some 12 years ago my walk about yesterday am revealed that I now have become the not so proud landlord of at least one mole and perhaps more. What is the conventional wisdom as to attempting to discourage their continued presence?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
The corn looks like there was very little pollination, not much made it from the tops to the silks.
Yep, I had some space issues so I planted 3 stalks, then accidentally broke a few tops off before the pollen was ready. I tried shaking the tops on the silks but it evidently wasn't ready.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Endless summer has been great for my tomatoes. They got a really late start, then exploded and I doubted I'd get many ripe before the end of the season. However the gift of fair weather for an extra month allowed them to get there. This is my harvest from the last week, minus a few that I ate fresh off the vine. Only 2 plants, one big rainbow, one super fantastic. They're gonna become tomato soup tonight.
IMG20221008112722.jpg

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yep, I had some space issues so I planted 3 stalks, then accidentally broke a few tops off before the pollen was ready. I tried shaking the tops on the silks but it evidently wasn't ready.
Note: A 10 x 10 foot square of space for your Three Sisters garden is the minimum area needed to ensure good corn pollination. If you have a small garden, you can plant fewer mounds, but be aware that you may not get good full corn ears as a result.

I have planted 3 sisters grids a half dozen times. Great results but takes up a lot of square feet. It is smart farming. Corn benefits from nitrogen nodules on bean roots, squash shades soil and attracts pollinators. The ground shading acts like a living mulch to retain moisture. Layout spacing and timing of when elements are planted matter greatly. A cluster of corn seed get planted in a 10-12 inch mounded circle 3 feet apart first. This establishes the planned spacing . When corn sprouts and to 4” tall thin the circle to 3-4” apart(they support each other with intertwined roots.) plant squash ( small amended mound between ) when corn grows to 10-12” plants pole beans around corn. Keep it all watered regularly. Enjoy the harvest.

Last edited:

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Note: A 10 x 10 foot square of space for your Three Sisters garden is the minimum area needed to ensure good corn pollination. If you have a small garden, you can plant fewer mounds, but be aware that you may not get good full corn ears as a result.

I have planted 3 sisters grids a half dozen times. Great results but takes up a lot of square feet. It is smart farming. Corn benefits from nitrogen nodules on bean roots, squash shades soil and attracts pollinators. The ground shading acts like a living mulch to retain moisture. Layout spacing and timing of when elements are planted matter greatly. A cluster of corn seed get planted in a 10-12’ circle 4’ apart first. This establishes the planned spacing . When corn sprouts and to 4” tall thin the circle to 3-4” apart(they support each other with intertwined roots.) plant squash ( small amended mound between ) when corn grows to 10-12” plants pole beans around corn. Keep it all watered regularly. Enjoy the harvest.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
If its bitter it’s a spitter!

I made a mistake this year. It was dumb. Small yard trombocini and jenny lind melon too close and sure enough. A bite and a very bitter bunch of little melons. It was planted on a whim … did fantastic though! 😉

: Cucurbita moschata 'Tromboncino'

Cucumis melo ‘Jenny Lind’ melon

Shared as an example of what can go wrong.

Last edited:

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hot sauce season i make up new recipe variations some very hot others more palatable for the less insane.

I always name my sauces, this one Bulgarian Cannon Fire
Others named in the past 25 years-
Capt’n Insanos Flaming Death Peppers
Whisker Sauce
Aji Moto
I have fun

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Pepper harvest for us today...
Anaheim, Nardello and few oddballs... Going to be doing some pepper stuffing and canning some pepper relish.

Serrano, Poblano, Aji Rico and Jalapenos next week...lots of them from the container grown plants.

Got a bunch, very good pepper year...

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Pepper harvest for us today...
Anaheim, Nardello and few oddballs... Going to be doing some pepper stuffing and canning some pepper relish.

Serrano, Poblano, Aji Rico and Jalapenos next week...lots of them from the container grown plants.

Got a bunch, very good pepper year...
One of my better pepper years. Bulgarian Carrot, Blot, Lemon aji, White Fantasy aji, Purple Marconi, Lipstick, Bishops Hat, Orange Leysa, Corno d’ Toro and Corbaci