2022 Garden Thread

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
P. stuntzii

Liked P. baeocystis better.

But they were all fun...45 plus years ago now.

Here in Western Washington (Renton) this fall harvest has been abysmal. Little to no fruit on the trees. Deer are going hungry this fall.

Anybody else experiencing this?

The cold wet spring put a damper on fruut tree pollinators, bees were in short supply during our fruut tree blossom weeks, so sparse fruit this year.

Reactions: RCF
Well, powers still out, they say it could take as long as Tuesday to come back on since they now have to inspect the lines. So, no power, no well pump, no pump, no water... So I have to haul 5gal buckets home to water my vegetables/weed... :LOL:View attachment 31477
These BC God bud were 80$ for a 10 pack and only 3 of 10 Germinated, 2 female 1 male. I got it from a Canadian company that ran cards through China so my card got shut down for fraud, once all straightened away I won't be ordering from them again with that ordeal. SO making more seed...
don't quit your day job....

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Have a couple of gallon bags of pole beans in the frig… these are dinner tonight. The mosaic dow gauk is producing. In the next couple days another 70 or so 15 to 20” ones will be picked. Though called yard long beans in all the years i have grown them maybe 2’ was the max. I pick them smaller because they are more tender .7E2DCC43-3BB5-4858-89D3-7E5360BC99E8.jpeg95F355F5-B022-424D-B556-8D987741C7C0.jpeg3EAB8507-F3B0-442A-A046-E91BE3B73C23.jpeg

Last nights dinner of roast chicken, sauteed rattlesnake, gold marie and bluelake beanswith red onion and French baked potatoes from the garden

Beans nightly and we don’t seem to tire of the endless uses. Blueberry peach pie i made

cdnred

Life of the Party
My wife has a small garden started on our double lot where she grows some nice herbs and tomatoes. We've noticed that the squirrels are feeding on our tomato crop regularly. I've been finding half eaten tomatoes around the lawn after they've been around. I did a search on squirrel deterrence here but all I mostly found was the pellet gun solution. Other then traps, pellet guns and wire fencing, is there another approach we can take to deter them from coming around..? I heard from one of my neighbors that if I plant a border of mint or onions around the garden that the smell will keep them away. Don't know if there is any truth to that..? Has anyone else come up with any ideas for a reliable solution..?

Edit; Did an internet search and found some solutions, I'll have to give that a try and see if it'll work..

Natural Squirrel Repellents
  • Spread predator urine around your garden. ...
  • Try sprinkling cayenne pepper, ground chili peppers, pepper flakes, and/or garlic pepper on and around your plants when they are ready to bloom..
Do coffee grounds keep squirrels away?
As it turns out, squirrels hate coffee grounds! It's the smell they dislike, and for this reason, using coffee grounds (especially those with a strong odor) can be useful for deterring squirrels from your yard.

Last edited:

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
My wife has a small garden started on our double lot where she grows some nice herbs and tomatoes. We've noticed that the squirrels are feeding on our tomato crop regularly. I've been finding half eaten tomatoes around the lawn after they've been around. I did a search on squirrel deterrence here but all I mostly found was the pellet gun solution. Other then traps, pellet guns and wire fencing, is there another approach we can take to deter them from coming around..? I heard from one of my neighbors that if I plant a border of mint or onions around the garden that the smell will keep them away. Don't know if there is any truth to that..? Has anyone else come up with any ideas for a reliable solution..?

Edit; Did an internet search and found some solutions, I'll have to give that a try and see if it'll work..

Natural Squirrel Repellents
  • Spread predator urine around your garden. ...
  • Try sprinkling cayenne pepper, ground chili peppers, pepper flakes, and/or garlic pepper on and around your plants when they are ready to bloom..
Do coffee grounds keep squirrels away?
As it turns out, squirrels hate coffee grounds! It's the smell they dislike, and for this reason, using coffee grounds (especially those with a strong odor) can be useful for deterring squirrels from your yard.
Get some coyote piss . I dare ya to try it. I have… once

Mossback

Forum Supporter
We grow a variety of italian peppers.
Some we pickle, and some we eat.

Variations on this recipe always are good for us.

Another thing we do with the larger ones os stuff with either sausage or chorizo (cooked) and cream cheese, then wrap with bacon and stick a few toothpicks on to hold the bacon.
Then freeze them ( bacon is raw) in a foil pain.

An hour at 375, with last 15 minutes uncovered and they are ready to eat.

Last edited:

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I brine peppers and make hot sauce…lemon aji, a Bulgarian carrot pepper sauce and others
Generally i do not use xanthum gum as a thickener. Very unruly stuff… tiny amount goes a long way. I am using my own recipes. Have created whisker sauce its called and Insanos flaming death pepper sauce to name a couple and a lemon aji sauce when i can grow enough of them

Mossback

Forum Supporter
We did some femented hot sauce last year.
Used a mix of what we grew
Seranno, Jalppeno, an Italian sweet and a few others. Came out pretty good, made 2 Pendleton whiskey bottles full.
Yeah we still have some.
;)

RCF

Life of the Party
Concord grapes are great to eat fresh. Have not seen them in stores for years. Very lucky to have them!

Last edited: