2022 Garden Thread

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Hot sauce season i make up new recipe variations some very hot others more palatable for the less insane.

I always name my sauces, this one Bulgarian Cannon Fire
Others named in the past 25 years-
Capt’n Insanos Flaming Death Peppers
Whisker Sauce
Aji Moto
I have fun
I bought some Chocolate Bhutlah and Brazilian Starfish pepper seeds. Didn't get them planted this year but my plan is to make them into a hot sauce and call it "Flaming Chocolate Starfish" then design some horrible merchandise :LOL:

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I bought some Chocolate Bhutlah and Brazilian Starfish pepper seeds. Didn't get them planted this year but my plan is to make them into a hot sauce and call it "Flaming Chocolate Starfish" then design some horrible merchandise :LOL:
Jeebus hell! 2 million scovilles? Why? Are you making paint stripper(Choc. Bhutlah)

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Jeebus hell! 2 million scovilles? Why? Are you making paint stripper(Choc. Bhutlah)
Yea that one's a "superhot" it will probably be 99% Starfish, 1% Chocolate. I have decent collection of superhot seeds, including a naturalized to northern Florida Trinidad scorpion that's been living in a compost pile and hasn't died over winter, I think the guy I got it from said 4 or 5 years it's been wild.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
77DA6215-410A-408A-998C-0EA3C904E2B0.jpeg
Yea that one's a "superhot" it will probably be 99% Starfish, 1% Chocolate. I have decent collection of superhot seeds, including a naturalized to northern Florida Trinidad scorpion that's been living in a compost pile and hasn't died over winter, I think the guy I got it from said 4 or 5 years it's been wild.
I have a chiltepin tree . Love those little things.tasty.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Do you overwinter it in a greenhouse?
If you want a chili to be a perennial you have to bring them indoors for the winter, not necessarily a greenhouse. Prune them back and leave them near a window.
Is a good site to go down the chili collecting rabbit hole.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
A plants job is to produce. While i got trombocini all summer 2 or 3 at a time, now with cooler nights and shorter days the the squash switch is thrown and i have 15 set and growing quickly.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Ok on flavor, I think I'll do some later with more developed natural sugars. This came out fine with the low sugar pectin though. We'll see what the kids think.
20221016_123518.jpg20221016_122919.jpg20221016_131032.jpg20221016_142413.jpg

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
End of the tomato season for me.
Rain is coming this week so pulled the plug today. Decent season after a slow start.
SF

219841CF-4216-445B-97FA-581323DAAE1C.jpeg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Do you have good luck getting those green ones to ripen after picked?

Yes, I just put them on the window sill.
Some will go to the neighbors to do the same.
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Single layer works best for us.
Ripening occurs with ethylene gas, so apples or other fruits that ripen via ethylene gas can all be kept together for efficiency.
A light cover over things concentrates the gas...so ripening is faster.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I was saving this little 60” x 8”x 9” deep planter box for Lillie to dig. But Jeanne’s grandkids have not been around very often. I saw a break in the rain and dug them up. Growing since late June. One looks like an octopus missing some legs.View attachment 37996

Carrots are about the only crop that consistently work for me. I've about finished my April patch. I also planted a crop, in June, that I'll eat all Winter. Carrots keep well left right in the ground if you keep the bulb top covered. Lasted me through Spring last year..

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Carrots are about the only crop that consistently work for me. I've about finished my April patch. I also planted a crop, in June, that I'll eat all Winter. Carrots keep well left right in the ground if you keep the bulb top covered. Lasted me through Spring last year..
Yeah i decided to dig them and plant arugula, tatsoi and biennial broc all will germinate and grow into the winter season and broc beyond it