NFR 2022-23 ski season. Let's Go!!!!

Non-fishing related

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
I haven’t skied for several years because my 71 year old knees can’t handle it. I do miss skiing. Skied Snowbird and Alra a lot wgen I lived in Utah for 5 years.
However, about 17 years ago I dropped my son and his buddy off at Snoqualmie to snowboard. I brought my skis, but continued on to the Yakima river to fly fish.
After landing about three decent size trout from swinging streamers, I returned to the ski area. I skied 4 runs with my son and his friend before driving back home. That was such a fun day for me.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My favorite ski stoke memory from last year:
My son was a fifth grader then, riding the bus back and forth to school. On his route there is a little band of cliffs on some federal land between the house and school. He had been eyeballing it for years and it filled in perfectly last year (it is low in elevation). One day he asked mom to pick him up instead of the bus and to please bring his skis because he was going to hit the drop. So they hiked up after school and both skied it, just the drop and a biiiigggg turn across the tops of the sagebrush to get it under control before the road. I can just imagine him looking out the bus window every day, salivating over that line.

Chris Bellows

Steelhead
March in Europe should be pow, not corn!!!

I’ve had plenty of pow trips at this location but never a corn snow trip with really long touring days on lightweight gear. Sounds crazy to many, but a man wants what he wants… which means it will be pow. I tend to get the opposite of what I expect on trips booked well in advance. Luckily touring is fun almost always regardless of conditions (a couple icy January BC days would disagree)

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ve had plenty of pow trips at this location but never a corn snow trip with really long touring days on lightweight gear. Sounds crazy to many, but a man wants what he wants… which means it will be pow. I tend to get the opposite of what I expect on trips booked well in advance. Luckily touring is fun almost always regardless of conditions (a couple icy January BC days would disagree)
Yes, with ski trips booked in advance you'll get what you get and like it! :ROFLMAO: As for those icy touring days, if there's even a hint of question I'll throw the ski crampons in the pack. They have literally saved my ass more than once.

I'm kicking tires on ski trips to BC in early December and Japan in January, and a snowboard trip to Iceland in late April/early May. We'll see if any of it happens.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Mtns around SW Montana picked up another 4-6" overnight with more coming this weekend.

We are off to a great start.

xyL7sZiv_o.gif

Chris Bellows

Steelhead
Yes, with ski trips booked in advance you'll get what you get and like it! :ROFLMAO: As for those icy touring days, if there's even a hint of question I'll throw the ski crampons in the pack. They have literally saved my ass more than once.

I'm kicking tires on ski trips to BC in early December and Japan in January, and a snowboard trip to Iceland in late April/early May. We'll see if any of it happens.

The only time I’ve even thought about needing ski crampons was one day skinning Japan in January 2020…. and who would ever think you’d need them there in January.

Good luck in your trips. Hope BC works in December as that bodes well for snowpack in January 😉.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The only time I’ve even thought about needing ski crampons was one day skinning Japan in January 2020…. and who would ever think you’d need them there in January.

Good luck in your trips. Hope BC works in December as that bodes well for snowpack in January 😉.
That's pretty funny! Japan in January is definitely not where I'd be thinking about ski crampons.

On the other hand, Europe at any time of the season and the pnw during spring/volcano season are where I'm bringing ski crampons, especially if I'm aiming for corn snow. Before the surface ripens to corn it'll be bulletproof! I put them on as soon as I think I might need them because if I wait until I really do need them it's too late.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We are supposed to get ski season crunk this week but the 4 footer forecasted is acting weird. hopefully it comes through today. (Sierra)

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Cold and clear for the next 7-10 days here. Not getting an early opening day this season it seems.