Search results

1. S

NFR Humor

Her thumb gives me the willies.
  2. S

NFR Humor

Tokeland dinged me for almost $250 as I accelerated from 30 to 50 mph leaving town. The officer claimed I was doing 50-something. I made my donation, recommended they use the funds for either new gear or training / calibration of existing and have not been back since. 5 years and I am still...
  3. S

Book recommendations?

If it has not aready been mentioned, True Love and the Wooly Bugger was a fun read.
  4. S

We got these cicadas coming...

I remember summers in S TX when you could barely carry on a conversation outdoors. My dad and I used to sit in the back yard in lawn chairs and pick cicadas out of the tree with old Daisy spring-action BB guns. I trained my one and only retriever (really a rat terrier mutt) on cicadas one...
  5. S

NEW ARTICLE: Josh tries an origami boat - Tucktec folding kayak review

Well jeez, thanks Josh - I pulled the trigger on the 10' this afternoon! Now the wait begins...
  6. S

NFR Any actual good online "black friday" or "cyber monday" deals you found?

+1 on the Cream Ale. Never been to Rochester, but availability of half decent and affordable beer is a factor to consider when moving.
  7. S

WE GOT THESE STOCKERS COMIN IN!!

Waaay back to fishing trout stocked rivers in TX I had a "corn" fly, inspired by cans of niblets discarded along public stretches of water. Best description is an egg hook with tight yellow wraps and sparse yellow hackle. Maybe it is time to tie a few and see if they will work on these stockers!
  8. S

Why do you fly fish?

This is funny as it rings true with my experience. On my one and only try at bait casting, my gear either went straight up or straight down no matter how hard I focused (may havebeen a beer or two in though, ha). I am glad I did not give up as readily with the fly rod! I have to add - growing...
  9. S

NFR Humor

Man do I despise those disposable flossers. Not only do they litter parking lots (or worse yet indoor venues), but for some reason they have made it seem acceptable to some to actually floss at a public dining table. Floods, earthquakes, droughts, locusts, floss things...signs of end of times?
  10. S

NFR Good news!!!

When i went to college I had to drink swill beers while missing Shiner Bock!
  11. S

NFR Humor

Ha! I recall the first time I saw that sign back in the mid 90's - some sharp prankster had painted or taped over the capital K. I have never looked at the sign the same since.
  12. S

NFR Has anyone heard from Old Man Jim? Update: RIP OMJ. Give ‘em hell wherever you are!

I never had the privilege of meeting or chatting with OMJ, but like so many others here, I enjoyed the heck out of his posts. He also had good taste in baseball cap styles. How about a commemorative edition of the Old Man hat?
  13. S

NFR $5 for 5 beers buckets? Do those exist?

We had $1 Rolling Rock and$0.1 chicken wings at our ocal College bar, but that was about 30 years ago...however, Rolling Rock sells up here for something like $25 / 18 pack here and there, so maybe there is hope? It still gives me hiccups though.
  14. S

I’m sorry but can anyone tell me what these are

I'm with iveofione, looks like inclusions in something igneous. However, I crave dungeness and IPA after a closer look.
  15. S

Wenatchee area winter / spring fishing

Thanks Freestone, that is what I recall from a few summers ago when the family took a trip there...I was actually a little embarrassed after rigging up my kid's and my rod, tromping down to the Wenatchee, and reading the regs as we sat on the bank. But, any chance to thrash around (legally of...
  16. S

Wenatchee area winter / spring fishing

I am heading to Wenatchee week of 3/14 for work - aside from Rocky Ford, are there any local streams / rivers this time of year good for casual mid-late afternoon bank fishing? I've only managed to find one of my wading boots, so ideally I'd like to keep any wading to maybe knee deep...
  17. S

Riverstick Custom Wading Staffs

I got one for my dad (upper 70's), and he carries it often. Sounds like it has been great for steadying himself and handy when getting off the ground on those planned and unexpected occasions, if you know what I mean. It is super handy to just hang off a belt for those just-in-case moments!
  18. S

What crap do you get into?

Like a natural trap for us soft humans! I learned the hard way - bird hunting with a buddy, and we cam across a huge blackberry field in a high tension line clearimg. There was a narrow trail that didn't look too threatening. My friend sighed and said we need to go around. I laughed, plowed...
  19. S

NFR How's the housing market where you live?

Another very good point! Stepping off my moral high horse, dealing with local regs cutting so much slack would be much more of a headache.
  20. S

NFR How's the housing market where you live?

It may have been mentioned already, but it is scary how the suburban mentality hits rural areas. It is painful enough seeing prices within a 30-40 mile radius of Seattle skyrocket, but seeing homes in places like Three Forks going up but 500% is upsetting. My folks, an hour's drive from Bozeman...