Wenatchee area winter / spring fishing

Sturubu

Smolt
I am heading to Wenatchee week of 3/14 for work - aside from Rocky Ford, are there any local streams / rivers this time of year good for casual mid-late afternoon bank fishing? I've only managed to find one of my wading boots, so ideally I'd like to keep any wading to maybe knee deep...

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
I am heading to Wenatchee week of 3/14 for work - aside from Rocky Ford, are there any local streams / rivers this time of year good for casual mid-late afternoon bank fishing? I've only managed to find one of my wading boots, so ideally I'd like to keep any wading to maybe knee deep...
The only moving water close to Wenatchee that will be open is the Columbia. Rocky Ford or the Yakima are your best bets. Even in the summer, there are very few streams open for fishing near Wenatchee because most of them are mainly filled with protected endangered species.

Sturubu

Smolt
Thanks Freestone, that is what I recall from a few summers ago when the family took a trip there...I was actually a little embarrassed after rigging up my kid's and my rod, tromping down to the Wenatchee, and reading the regs as we sat on the bank. But, any chance to thrash around (legally of course) makes me happy!

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
At one time those closed skinny waters held some nice fish. I know as I fished them before they all got shut down.. It almost feels like it was a life time ago. The Mad River, The Wenatchee it's self, Nason Creek, The Entiat and several more. The Wenatchee River above the Lake. They all held some nice fish.

Then they went and planted Hatchery Steelhead, but it was closed for them anyway.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
At one time those closed skinny waters held some nice fish. I know as I fished them before they all got shut down.. It almost feels like it was a life time ago. The Mad River, The Wenatchee it's self, Nason Creek, The Entiat and several more. The Wenatchee River above the Lake. They all held some nice fish.
Well, those rivers also used to be stocked with lots of ‘catchable’ trout, just like lakes. Since they discontinued stocking catchable, there wasn’t a reason to keep it open for ‘trout’ as there are and always have been very few true resident trout (vs. steelhead and salmon parr). Those rivers and streams are not very not very productive, due to the gradient and water chemistry.