What crap do you get into?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
almost forgot...one more. This wasn't from a fishing trip, but a family camping trip. We were driving along this gravel road and I slammed on the brakes and pulled over (wife and kid were like, WTF?)...ran back and saved this little guy/gal from certain death. No sooner had I grab him/her, than a large truck came barreling down the road. Clearly it didn't give a fuck that I had just saved it....

G39odyM.jpg

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
used to tow family around the NW on kid's summer vacations in a built 78' one ton Ford Lariat Supercab 4x4 towing a lifted 23' fifth wheel...used to study maps looking for cool places to camp and fish...stopped at a ranger station to ask if it was safe to haul my rig over a gravel mountain pass road..'sure, should be okl'...made the family get out and walk at the top, sheer drop, outer wheels 2' from soft edge...after making it over pulled to the side for a much needed breather, local Sheriff rolled up in his patrol Bronco and got out to chat...'son, you've got some balls towing a trailer over that pass, my wife won't go over it in our jeep'...needless to say we took a different route when time to bail..

speaking of passes, if ever in the Mazama area during dry season, drive up the Hart Pass road to the fire lookout atop it...highest road in WA with stunning views...and speaking of drop-off's

t_law

Steelhead
almost forgot...one more. This wasn't from a fishing trip, but a family camping trip. We were driving along this gravel road and I slammed on the brakes and pulled over (wife and kid were like, WTF?)...ran back and saved this little guy/gal from certain death. No sooner had I grab him/her, than a large truck came barreling down the road. Clearly it didn't give a fuck that I had just saved it....

G39odyM.jpg
My 11 year old son is herp fanatic. I, on the other hand, am not! He's currently taking a junior herpetology certification course on-line with a bunch of other herp nerds from all over the world, it's pretty cool. He's starting the snake section of the course this week so he's pretty stoked. He's also asking for a pet snake or scorpion or tarantula, basically anything that's deadly and kills. The wife is not having it!

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A few years ago i opted to bushwhack into a new spot on the local urban fishery. Horrible decision - crazy blackberry jungle. …..
I’ll be brief on a survey topic books have been written about. When the original surveys were conducted (townships, sections, etc, mostly in the 1800s) there were various ways to mark the actual section corner (often a buried rock with an “X”) and auxiliary evidence to help locate the corners (often blazes on trees). One story often told at surveyors conventions is that some surveyors planted blackberries in the immediate vicinity.
And, as if that didn’t bore you, a distantly related story. In some surveyors discussions it was Scotch Broom. But the truth on that is that indeed Scotch BLOOM is not native here. My understanding (from a reliable source, now passed) is that a Scotsman living on Vancouver Island in the (guessing early) 1800s was homesick and sent home for seeds from his beloved bush. They flourished.
Now you have yet more worthless knowledge.
Continue.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
My 11 year old son is herp fanatic. I, on the other hand, am not! He's currently taking a junior herpetology certification course on-line with a bunch of other herp nerds from all over the world, it's pretty cool. He's starting the snake section of the course this week so he's pretty stoked. He's also asking for a pet snake or scorpion or tarantula, basically anything that's deadly and kills. The wife is not having it!
Just fyi, snakes are damn near the perfect pet. Low maintenance, generally pretty chill. I had 9 when I met my wife! I'm down to 2, but "Slither" is almost 24. Fuckin awesome animal.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
No thanks to snakes. My problem is I don’t see them, They don’t bother me if I see them first, but many of times they come upon me unexpected and I have a shit fit without the self made product in
my underwear followed by an embarrassing girl like scream, but one of these times I’ll need TP in my sling. It is a weakness that I must own. Fishing the Deschutes and certain eastern Wa waters is always a careful walk for me and what I grab on shore to help support me. What’s funny is I have no problem with spiders. They don’t bother me. They can crawl over me. Don’t want the red dotted one doing that or a couple others but they don’t give me the heeby jeebys like snakes can. 😬

Sturubu

Smolt
South Puget Sound and surroundings seems to be the blackberry capital of the world. You need kevlar waders and a machete to navigate the river banks around here. You'd think the bears would love it around here -- soft, tender meat followed by a nice blackberry dessert.
Like a natural trap for us soft humans! I learned the hard way - bird hunting with a buddy, and we cam across a huge blackberry field in a high tension line clearimg. There was a narrow trail that didn't look too threatening. My friend sighed and said we need to go around. I laughed, plowed in, and spent the next 15 or so minutes gingerly trying to unstuck myself and feeling like a fool. I think I made it a whopping 3-4 feet into the brambles. I did at the time think it was good to learn this lesson wearing jeans rather than waders...

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
In my first days on a survey crew (as #3) I recall brushing line deep in the forest, through a dense patch of nettles. Bob (# 2 on the crew) had his shirt off, it was hot. I’m no weeny but (while not a big guy) he was one tough SOB. That had to hurt, but he never flinched. A lesson in “man up” I’ve never forgotten.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
Wait. I just found a pic from a surf trip two years ago. Was exploring a pretty remote area in the BatleWagon (Suburban 4X4) and came upon something that i think fits the bill really well for this thread given the thread title (...”crap”...)

0B941BEC-8F14-4BE9-A885-4BAB23DB50EF.jpeg

I wondered who on earth just put a toilet there? Why? So many questions.

Last edited: