Search results

1. JayB

Anyone missing a "Fly Fishing Rod" (NIB Burkie 8134-4)

Could be perfectly legit but not the way anyone I know who bought a Burkie for their own use would go about listing it for sale. Thought I'd post just in case someone has a "Fly Fishing Rod" with that serial number that's gone missing.
  2. JayB

So - you found a bait ball....

Rolled up on an astounding conglomeration of birds, bait, and seams this past Friday (water was literally boiling with bait) and found myself thinking "Okay - so now what?" Didn't think matching the billion baitfish would be the best approach, so I stuck with a pink-over-white clouser, cast to...
  3. JayB

Steelhead Counts at Bonneville: 80 Years of Data

These numbers probably require some pretty generous error bars, particularly in the early years, but I thought they were still pretty interesting nonetheless. https://flyfishusa.com/blog/Columbia-River-Steelhead-Runs-80-years-of-ladder-counts Year Total Steelhead Unclipped 1938 107003...
  4. JayB

Oops! Fiberglass Hull Repair Question.

Made a boneheaded mistake on the way to the water today and wound up with a nice little puncture/crack just under the waterline. The official Whaler repair guide suggests a pretty involved repair that requires cutting out the fiberglass around the damage, removing a thin layer of foam from...
  5. JayB

Bad News for Skeena Steelhead - Again.

"Right now Skeena Steelhead are in serious trouble, trouble like they have never experienced before. The Tyee Test Fishery is presently showing the stock is at one of the lowest run sizes in the 68 years of operation...."...
  6. JayB

Camping Gear Recommendation Thread

I'll start. Easily the best bang-for-the-buck addition that I've added in the past few years has been the Coleman camp oven. It's basically just a collapsible sheet-metal box that sits on top of your camp stove with a door/thermometer and a rack to set things on. I was dubious, but for the...
  7. JayB

Who is Wrong on This One?

I'm trying to settle a debate with my wife regarding the futility or non-futility of my efforts to target coho with a fly rod. She's heard several other people that do fairly well gear-fishing declare that it's somewhere between impossible and a waste of time. My comeback is that it's neither...
  8. JayB

Line Counter Reel + Rod Recs for Diver-Trolling?

Finally making a concession to the pleas of my wife and cats to try to bring home more fish. When casting seems pointless, I'll be running divers instead of downriggers from my small whaler, and I'm planning on picking up a line-counter reel and pairing that with a suitable rod so that I can...
  9. JayB

"Managing to Zero: The Thompson-Steelhead Travesty" By Bob Hooton

Probably won't be a very merry read, but might contain a few lessons worth heeding. Or at least contemplating. If nothing else, it'll ensure that the Thompson steelhead don't disappear without an epitaph to commemorate their existence. "In the space of a single human lifetime and perhaps only...
  10. JayB

NFR Bird Watching for Beginners?

As a non-bird-watcher, my understanding of bird-watching can be reduced to: look up, note presence of birds, potentially identify birds, repeat. If left to my own devices, that's all I'd ever know, but things change. In this case, what's changed is that my 10-year old has spontaneously taken a...
  11. JayB

Interesting FF Listings on Craigslist

No affiliation with the sellers - just happened to be looking and saw a couple of entries that might be of interest to folks here. 1. https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/spo/7537005341.html "Collection of bamboo fishing rod sections non-matching pieces for parts or repair. These pictures are...
  12. JayB

Bulk Tungsten Line for Stupid Deep Rigs

$0.99/foot https://www.ebay.com/itm/133404149361?hash=item1f0f81c671:g:HqgAAOSwX7lesxVw
  13. JayB

Fish in Coolers - How Long?

On the rare occasions that I've actually caught salmon with my fly rod, I've always been able to put them in a cooler and then process them a few hours later (at most), vacuum pack the fillets, and get them right in the freezer. I may go on a trip later in the month where I'd be camping out...
  14. JayB

AI Generated Fly Fishing Art Thread

I've been seeing a few images that folks have generated using text-to-image AI software so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm impressed in many ways, but after plugging in "Steelhead trout chasing an artificial fly in a river flowing past an ancient coniferous forest beneath majestic mountains"...
  15. JayB

NFR: Age Test - Folger's Crystals

The last time I was getting ready to go fishing I found myself mixing up one of those Starbucks instant coffee packs, and it made me remember the "Folger's Crystals" hidden camera commercials that I found entirely convincing as a kid *and* the epic Chris Farley SNL skit spoofing them that I...
  16. JayB

Fleece Lined Pants Back at Costco.

17. JayB

General Sekiu Info

I've been toying with the idea of heading out to Sekiu with my boat ('75 13'6" Whaler Sport with a 2018 30HP E-tec) ) to fish for a few years now, and for the first time it looks like there might be a hole in the space-time continuum that'd give me the chance to head out there for a short (2-3...
  18. JayB

Coho by Boat: Survivor Edition

Imagine that you wake up and find yourself motoring away from at a boat ramp on the Puget Sound, 30 minutes before first light. You've never launched there before, and your mission is to find catch coho on the fly. What visual clues and geographic features do you home in on? Here's what I've...
  19. JayB

2022 Salmon Chatter

Heard some interesting chatter on the 6/10 Fish/HuntNW podcast. Relevant Segment 45:18-50:00. Sounds like the folks in the ocean are already encountering coho? Predicting many more coho this year than last year. How does that jive with other forecasts, intel?
  20. JayB

Spey Tips that Actually Helped

Any tips that actually helped your casting? My casting is still very much a work in progress, but I think the one tip that's helped me more than any other was Travis Johnson's suggestion (in the vid below) to keep your thumbs on both hands in line with the reel. I'm not sure why, but I this made...