General Sekiu Info

JayB

Steelhead
I've been toying with the idea of heading out to Sekiu with my boat ('75 13'6" Whaler Sport with a 2018 30HP E-tec) ) to fish for a few years now, and for the first time it looks like there might be a hole in the space-time continuum that'd give me the chance to head out there for a short (2-3 day) trip. I'm mostly looking for general information about how people like to run their trips out there, such as, if paying for moorage is worth it for a weekday stay to avoid an early-AM ramp cluster, etc.

I've run this boat in the Sound for the past few years, tend to be fairly careful about when and where I take it, and have all of the normal navigation/safety gear and a couple of extras (like a radar reflector that I can suspend ~12ish feet high on a tethered push-pole, ACR-rescue beacon) and would be staying relatively close to shore. From what I gather Sekiu tends to have conditions that are safe for smaller boats, but if I've got the wrong impression, please let me know.

Other than that - any other feedback, suggestions, are welcome. In the absence of any feedback or suggestions when it comes to fishing, if I make it out there I'll be running the same highly unsuccessful algorithm that I've been putting to use on the Puget Sound, but if I can summon sufficient willpower I'll overcome my natural inclination to take my place in the herd of morons mindlessly schooling together...

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
It’s been years since I’ve been, but I would think a Boston Whaler, even that small would work awesome at Seiku. Especially with good emergency equipment like you mention. People use 10 ft aluminum car toppers there (not that I would)!

Some one told me once that Seiku translates to “The Calm Water”.

I have stayed at Olsens marina and we paid for moorage there. Makes it nice to just head out and hop in you boat at first light.

Hope you get out and have a good trip; give us a report if you do.

Andy

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Spent my summers growing up running all over those waters in the old 16' rental boats from Olsens, which aren't anywhere near as well equipped or seaworthy as your Whaler. Also ran my old 15' Smokercraft a lot out there as well.

As long as the weather doesn't get crazy, a smart and capable individual like yourself would be just fine out there. Just use your head, you'll be fine.

Bob N

Steelhead
I’ve fished there for more years than I’d like to remember. 14 foot duroboat, 10 horse Honda, a pair of oars just in case, that were never used. My usual pattern, leave dock, point bow to Vancouver Island, catch fish of the size I wanted, run back to dock. Many days the island was more visible than Sekiu.

Yearly maintenance on motor to prevent problems. Also used to run to Tatoosh and point bow towards the island until I caught the size fish I wanted.

Edit: Many days, I barely got into the straits before I limited.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Fishing inside the kelp or right on the outside edge can be productive as well for multiple species.
Have fun.
SF

JayB

Steelhead
Spent my summers growing up running all over those waters in the old 16' rental boats from Olsens, which aren't anywhere near as well equipped or seaworthy as your Whaler. Also ran my old 15' Smokercraft a lot out there as well.

As long as the weather doesn't get crazy, a smart and capable individual like yourself would be just fine out there. Just use your head, you'll be fine.
-Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

-"Smart and capable" made me think of the time I plugged the ODB-thingy on my engine to check all the vital signs after I replaced the impeller and took it out for a test run. No overheating, but I saw a ton of "Failed to reach proper operating temperature" codes on the readout.

"Hmmm. Thermostat?" I took of the cowling, opened up the housing that holds the thermostat, and looked inside. "Aha! No spring!? What kind of *IDIOT* would install a thermostat and forget to install the spring you need to hold it in place! I mean seriously! [Looks down - sees extra spring in the engine part box] Oh wait......" Evidently the same kind of idiot that forgot all about swapping out the thermostat the previous year...

Smith

Steelhead
I've been toying with the idea of heading out to Sekiu with my boat ('75 13'6" Whaler Sport with a 2018 30HP E-tec) ) to fish for a few years now, and for the first time it looks like there might be a hole in the space-time continuum that'd give me the chance to head out there for a short (2-3 day) trip. I'm mostly looking for general information about how people like to run their trips out there, such as, if paying for moorage is worth it for a weekday stay to avoid an early-AM ramp cluster, etc.

I've run this boat in the Sound for the past few years, tend to be fairly careful about when and where I take it, and have all of the normal navigation/safety gear and a couple of extras (like a radar reflector that I can suspend ~12ish feet high on a tethered push-pole, ACR-rescue beacon) and would be staying relatively close to shore. From what I gather Sekiu tends to have conditions that are safe for smaller boats, but if I've got the wrong impression, please let me know.

Other than that - any other feedback, suggestions, are welcome. In the absence of any feedback or suggestions when it comes to fishing, if I make it out there I'll be running the same highly unsuccessful algorithm that I've been putting to use on the Puget Sound, but if I can summon sufficient willpower I'll overcome my natural inclination to take my place in the herd of morons mindlessly schooling together...
I used to have family vacations there and I would run a 10 ft Calipso with a 9.9 HP Evinrude. Stayed in the bay or just west of it. Sometimes with some decent swells. It was fine. Fog was the bigger issue and we always headed in when it was threatening. Caught lots of rockfish and miscellaneous bottom fish. We moored the boats. I think you will be fine.