NFR Bird Watching for Beginners?

Non-fishing related

JayB

Steelhead
As a non-bird-watcher, my understanding of bird-watching can be reduced to: look up, note presence of birds, potentially identify birds, repeat. If left to my own devices, that's all I'd ever know, but things change.

In this case, what's changed is that my 10-year old has spontaneously taken a keen interest in observing the birds in our yard, identifying them, drawing pictures of them, learning the latin names, telling me about the characteristics of the males vs the females, customary behaviores, etc. She's been exposed to fishing, and someday she might develop an interest in it, but as things stand now it's not on the menu. I've been keeping my antennae tuned for other outdoor-oriented activities that she might have an intrinsic interest in that we can do together locally, so that I can log some quality father-daughter time in the outdoors and potentially foster what seems like an almost surreally healthy and wholesome interest for a young person.

If someone wanted to get their kid into fishing, skiing, kayaking, climbing, camping, etc and asked me for input I'd have at least a few ideas about how to make the experience more fun, and a longer list of things that I wouldn't do unless the goal was to make them hate the activity forever right from the outset.

As someone who knows nothing about bird watching other than what I've stated above *and* the fact that there are millions of avid/fanatical bird watchers out there, I figure there might be at least a few suggestions that veteran bird-watchers might have to offer. Places and times of year that offer particularly good bird-watching opportunities, short hikes that might do the same, books, "scavenger hunt" style books where you can record sightings of relatively common NW birds, etc.

I'm not going to go overboard on this since it could very easily turn out to be a passing fancy, but there's an opening here to potentially develop an active, multifaceted outdoor hobby that can be enjoyed for a lifetime so I figured I'd be remiss if I didn't invest a bit of time and effort in fostering it.

On the off chance it "takes" - one obvious potential upside of the hobby would be as a "hook" to motivate her to participate in other outdoor activities that she might not otherwise want to participate in. "Hey - I saw a bunch of (check notes)...diving buffleheads...when I was fishing yesterday, you should come out next time. We can spend most of the time looking for birds and I'll bring my rods just in case we see some fish while we're at it."

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.!

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Get apps Merlin and eBird and start documenting your sightings and reading about other people's sightings in your area. Merlin is like Shazam for birds; it'll tell you what you're listening to even if you can't see the bird. It'll also ID from photos and/or descriptions. Both are free.

Not free but important: Binoculars, camera with a decent zoom, Sibley's guide to western birds or other reputable bird guidebook.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Second the recommendation of the Skagit flats. This time of year (now until spring) large numbers of swans (tundra and trumpeters), snow geese, various other waterfowl and shorebirds, bald eagles and other raptors are all potential "finds". A visit to the WDFW Skagit headquarters and walking the dikes with has the potential to add smaller species.

If have access to a moderate sized boat with motor the Snohomish delta can be fun in the late spring/early summer (June) with nesting cormorant and osprey as a variety of other bird species. Without a boat the restoration efforts there are some trails to be hiked or even visit to the Everett boat launch can be found with a variety species on the mud flats north of the launch and the nesting blue herons on the pilings at the east end of the parking lot.

All the above are great day or part day trips and when coupled with a lunch or snack can be a fun outing for any budding "birder".

One of the great benefits of a birding interest is that activity is a natural adjunct to other outdoors activities such as fishing.

curt

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
If the opportunity arises, participate in local bird walks and bird count activities. There are a variety of bird watching videos on YouTube.

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
My daughter who's now in graduate school developed a big interest in birds and birding as a teen, in addition to random outings one thing we did together which was really fun and allowed us to feel like we were/are part of a bigger picture was participate in the annual Audobon bird audit or survey. Happens every year in December and local birding groups gather to designate and divide up areas or regions to survey by groups, individuals etc and you go out, tromp around and take note of all the different birds you see then turn in your survey and all that data gets rolled up to provide a look at how our birds are doing. It was great fun for us out together in some beautiful country and just really slowing down and seeing what's out there to be seen, highly recommend.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Fantastic, budget oriented pair of compact, waterproof, Binoculars, are the Nikon Trailblazers 8 X 25. Mine are always on me fishing, hunting, woods roaming and car trips. Ive got more expensive binocs, but these are the ones I use 90% of the time. About 100 Bucks but worth their weight in gold to me. You can find them on sale, for a lot less at times.

Im hard on my gear and the Trailblazers have held up very well. Might make a good Christmas present for both of you.

Enjoy your time together. They grow up incredibly fast.

Bob

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Here is a website from Cornell University's Lab of Ornithology.

I used it to determine whether the species of the hawk I had seen on my roof and hanging out in my neighborhood was a Cooper's hawk or Sharp-shinned hawk.

Last edited:

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Consider getting her a subscription to National Wildlife Federations kids publication “Ranger Rick”. It’s national in scope, but both our kids enjoyed it when they were young. It helped to instill a life long appreciation in all things nature in both of them.

Binoculars are a wonderful idea. But just make sure someone takes the time to show them how to adjust them. Otherwise they can be frustrating and a big turn off.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Not sure about the environmental ethics on this....what about backyard bird feeders? We use seeds in the Winter, and homemade, clear, sugar water for the hummers in Summer.

Agree on good glass making a difference.

Grear hobby for her to be interested in because it easily dovetails into any trip you might take.

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
There is a weekly walk with very experienced watchers at the Nisqually delta every Wed. Great spot, lots of variety and wonderful members.

tkww

Steelhead
As mentioned, finding a local organization (usually a chapter of the Audubon Society) and joining/participating in their activities will give you both locations and knowledge from other birders. Yes to the Merlin app. And while I'm not the biggest facebook fan, there are some useful things there too. Most of the local chapters will have a page, and there are several other group pages that can be state or regional. (The Raptor ID group can be fun too.)

eBird is Cornell's/All About Birds siting/list tracking site. One thing you can do is bookmark your county's page and check the trip reports, which usually also give you pretty detailed location information. You'll start to notice a lot of reports are from the same location(s), which might be places you'd want to visit yourself.

A couple thoughts about binochs: You don't have to buy a $1500 pair of Leica or Zeiss binochs, but you should absolutely skip over the $25 Tasco or whatever garbage. I don't recommend going above 8x power, as 10x can be pretty hard to hold steady. And lastly, make sure the eyepieces come together enough enough for a smaller face. Some of them are too wide for narrow faces even when they're completely "closed."

JayB

Steelhead
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions - and please keep them coming if you're reading along and have more.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
In addition to a good set of binocs, take a listen to local bird songs. That can also hep immensely. Back when I took an Ornithology course in college, I bought a CD set of Western Bird songs that we had to learn for the course. I still remember many of those well enough to where when I'm driving down the road with the family and hear a bird song, I'll often tell wifey and kiddo, "oh, that's a so-and-so". I can't believe I still remember some of that stuff. Bottom line though, it really helps when you're out in the field. I don't go on birding only trips ever, but I'm pretty aware of species around me when I go fishing or camping. I'm actually thinking about a new set of binocs as my old minis (I think they are low end Pentax which optically were great in their day, but not super durable) are on their way out (actually have been for the last 10 years).

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Here in Butte we have a wide porch railing. It's about 6" wide. My wife put bird seed out for them. We have birds all winter long. We have a shit pot of Sparrows, Two Doves and sometime a damn Crow.. Yesterday she spotted a Woodpecker in the tree. We put out sugar water but never see any Humming birds. Even had a Mountain Bluebird this summer. The birds line up at chow time. Most of the time is in the afternoon time.