Search results

1. Steve Vaughn

SOLD 2 Cannon manual downriggers w/ Lund brackets

Bought my used Lund with two Cannon manual down riggers w/ line counter installed. I haven't nor do I believe I will ever use them. The previous owner added attachments to the Cannon mounting brackets to fit into the Lund rail system (blue plate in the pics). Looking for $100 each or $180 for...
  2. Steve Vaughn

Decked truck bed drawer system

Looking at these as an option for my 2011 Silverado 1500. My priorities are water protection and security while fishing and camping. Doesn't seem reasonable to spend $3K on a cap for a 13-year-old truck, but I might be able to justify half that since I only have 100K miles on it. The loss of...
  3. Steve Vaughn

I have to get organized, but how?

Or stop tying, but that's not going to happen. I still have dry flies I tied for hatches back East that we don't have out here and are 30+ years old. I have about a thousand assorted Globugs from my days chasing Lake Ontario browns and steelhead. Just don't have the heart to throw flies away...
  4. Steve Vaughn

Articulated streamers question

I'm looking for advice from those of you who tie articulated streamers. I'm looking for suggestions on what material is best for making the connection. I have seen videos or read articles using Spiderwire, 9-Strand Surflon (nylon coated metal wire), and braided backing. I used 25 lb. braid...
  5. Steve Vaughn

Eyes

Heard a smallmouth guide say he doesn't put eyes on his guide streamers but does if he is tying for the shop. To me, that sounds like eyes are attractors for fishermen and not the fish. To date, the only eyes I put on my streamers are on the lead dumbells or a dot from a Sharpie. Thoughts?
  6. Steve Vaughn

Magnification

In further preparation to do more lake fishing thought I should have some scud patterns. It's been a little while since I tied down to #16 and it was an exercise in tying by feel. Just couldn't see the detail. So now I'm looking for magnification. I have used the Flip Focals on my fishing...
  7. Steve Vaughn

Dropshot nymph rigging

My go to fly fishing technique has always been nymphing, usually with indicator and two nymphs. With a heavy fly, like a Pat's on the bottom and whatever I think is appropriate above. This has served me well, so why change. Since buying a boat a few years ago and doing a lot of gear fishing...
  8. Steve Vaughn

Fly line life expectancy

How long do you expect your $100 - $130 fly line to last/perform? Or better yet, how many uses would you expect? I never gave that question much thought, usually waiting until I saw excessive wear, or the line just stopped performing as I expected it to. Considering I don't fly fish that many...
  9. Steve Vaughn

NFR Government shutdown

Does anyone recall when we had the last government shutdown were the Yakima Canyon BLM campgrounds closed? Hoping to camp in the canyon next week.
  10. Steve Vaughn

Yakima River question

For the past few years, I have taken a multi-day fall trip to the Yakima Canyon and always floating the lower canyon, usually Red's to Big Pine or Umtanum to Lmuma. It is about time I try another section or two. I've never floated (solo) above Umtanum, a couple of guided floats Big Horn to...
  11. Steve Vaughn

Looking for fall fishing/camping trip

Not having fished Idaho much (one June trip on the NF Coeur d'Alene), I'm looking to explore another river. I'm leaning toward the St. Joe or NF Clearwater. I plan on tent campingin at late-Sept to mid-October for 3-4 days. Would be interested in opinions of those with experience on these...
  12. Steve Vaughn

EPIC! SWEET! DUDE! Please stop!

OK, just a little rant from an old curmudgeon. I will admit a minor addiction to fishing-related YouTube videos. I have picked up a lot of great information that has improved various aspects of my sporting life. One of the channels I really appreciate for the videography I just can't watch...
  13. Steve Vaughn

Inspired by the nice weather...

Powerwashed the Columbia River scum line off the Lund from last season and got her ready to fish. Will be out tomorrow trying to unlock the spring smallmouth bite, which as evaded me for a while.
  14. Steve Vaughn

Deer hair floatant?

I have fished for smallmouth bass my whole life, growing up in the Finger Lakes Region of NY. However, I only dabbled in fly rodding for them. Now that I am spending 90% of my fishing time on the "big" rivers around the Tri-Cities gear fishing for bass it is about time to go after them with a...
  15. Steve Vaughn

SFR "Open Seat" postings for fishing club

I recently joined a fly fishing club. Years ago I was an active member of a TU chapter in Upstate NY. Served on the board for several years and a couple of terms at president. This cured me of joining "clubs", but now at 71 and finally admitting I should probably not fish alone as much as I...
  16. Steve Vaughn

Fire wood

Camping at Big Pine next week. Does the camp host have fire wood for sale or do I need to bring my own? Thanks.
  17. Steve Vaughn

Lower Yakima

Anyone float and fish the section from Hyde launch to Duportal launch at the current flow (~2300 @ Kiona)? Have never tried this section. Last I fished the lower Yak regularly it was Snively to Twin Bridges, but I'm getting too old to haul myself and gear out at the latter. Have done Snively...
  18. Steve Vaughn

SFR What a way to run a business...

For my recent birthday my lovely daughter gave me a $50 gift certificate at Feather-Craft and my wife a $50 gift certificate at Sportsman's Warehouse (SW). Since I had a list of ~$150 of fly tying material I wanted to get I decided to use both gift certificates toward it. Well, it appears that...