Deer hair floatant?

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
I have fished for smallmouth bass my whole life, growing up in the Finger Lakes Region of NY. However, I only dabbled in fly rodding for them. Now that I am spending 90% of my fishing time on the "big" rivers around the Tri-Cities gear fishing for bass it is about time to go after them with a fly rod. One thing I haven't been able to find much information about is using floatant on spun deer hair flies. Years ago I heard folks talking about spraying spun deer hair flies with Scotch Guard. Do you warmwater guys use floatant on spun deer hair flies or just change flies with they get waterlogged? Thanks.

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
A well tied deer hair bug will float forever with no help from a flotant. They will eventually float lower in the water which seems to only make them fish better. Steve, I will tie you a few prior to spring.
Thanks Rich! Been wanting to get back out on the river, but just can't handle the cold anymore.

Divad

Whitefish
Agree with @RichS I tie poppers thick with deer and never apply any floatant. Foam underbodies can change the level of floatation along with hook weight.

I can’t imagine a floatant that would stay put for the task. I’ve learned enough about scotchguard that dispersing a bottle in the lake every trip isn’t on my list.

Reactions: Zak

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've been using Albolene cream (the same $5.00 tub for about 5 years) as floatant. I learned about it from a guide working out of Red's. Seriously... it works well as a floatant and is a moisturizer. After constant exposure to river water leaches all the oil out of my hands my skin begins to crawl (especially on a multi-day trip!). I load up a small Loon bottle, refilling it when it gets low. It works well at about 5% of the cost.

I'm being quite serious, despite the similarity to the old Saturday Night Live spoof commercial: 'It's a floor wax... No - it's a dessert topping... Wait - it's both!

rattlesnake

Steelhead
A well tied deer hair bug will float forever with no help from a floatant. They will eventually float lower in the water which seems to only make them fish better.
My sentiments as well. I’ve heard of some guys doing the scotch guard deal and also heard about guys using UV flies on the belly of flies to make em sit higher. My experience is what rich said and I’d rather not do that.

Chucker

Steelhead
Scotch guard is a one time thing. You spray the fly and let it totally dry before the first time you use it and it helps stop it from getting waterlogged after a lot of use. No point in using it at the lake.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I sometimes swing deer hair poppers on t17, they always pop back up even after being fully submerged for a whole minute l.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I've been using Albolene cream (the same $5.00 tub for about 5 years) as floatant. I learned about it from a guide working out of Red's. Seriously... it works well as a floatant and is a moisturizer. After constant exposure to river water leaches all the oil out of my hands my skin begins to crawl (especially on a multi-day trip!). I load up a small Loon bottle, refilling it when it gets low. It works well at about 5% of the cost.

I'm being quite serious, despite the similarity to the old Saturday Night Live spoof commercial: 'It's a floor wax... No - it's a dessert topping... Wait - it's both!
I took a trip with that same guide a few years ago. He had a tub of that stuff and I've been trying to remember what it was.
Guide's name was Chris I believe.

Rio Grande King

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I took a trip with that same guide a few years ago. He had a tub of that stuff and I've been trying to remember what it was.
Guide's name was Chris I believe.
Tony Schoonen, one of the prime movers behind Montana's Stream Access Bill and long-time guide on the Big Hole was a big proponent of Albolene. Tony - 1.jpeg

Florida Man

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

Been doing this for years.