Yakima River question

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
For the past few years, I have taken a multi-day fall trip to the Yakima Canyon and always floating the lower canyon, usually Red's to Big Pine or Umtanum to Lmuma. It is about time I try another section or two. I've never floated (solo) above Umtanum, a couple of guided floats Big Horn to Lmuma and KOA to Ringer. I've only fished above Ellensburg once on foot. Would like to hear about your favorite section to float/fish, either higher in the canyon or above the canyon and why. Thanks, Steve.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Before relocating to Hood River I would often float the Yak solo in a raft. I have no qualms in recommending the float from Ringer to Mahre even if you've never done it before. The worst that would happen is that you'd miss your takeout, but good directions from someone at Red's would easily solve that.

I knew I'd be floating solo most of the time, and also figured that it would be tough to row and fish simultaneously, so I'd probably have the occasional close encounter with rocks. Fortunately in the canyon there aren't any spots where boat handling is a matter of life and death, as if is on faster, more technical waters. In fact I ended up buying a raft so just so that I could generally ignore the rocks.

This also meant anchoring often, either to stay on a particular spot or to allow me to play and land fish. This suggests the importance of having an anchor that is compatible with the river bottom. (I use a chain anchor, but I can pretty much guarantee that you'll be able to find a number of differing opinions and suggestions there...)

I've also floated from Cle Elum (putting in at both State and the ballfields) to Green Bridge (although never solo). I much prefer the canyon.

If you are at all in doubt, consider a guided trip before you set out on your own. Chalk it up to 'continuing education'.

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Koa to Ringer there is a drop off that you may have to walk around to avoid the back eddy if water high, Irene-Rhinehard park is another put in with lots of places to get out fish from land I had a great day one Veteran's day float pull 3-4 fish out of every stop my best ever, even had a chance to hook a metalhead.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I guess I’m just not that adventurous anymore, I never leave the lower canyon. I guess maybe it’s just the closest for me driving and I figured why leave fish to find fish… I do love the canyon!

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
I guess I’m just not that adventurous anymore, I never leave the lower canyon. I guess maybe it’s just the closest for me driving and I figured why leave fish to find fish… I do love the canyon!
I know what where you're coming from, but I guess I'm going through a phase in my old age where if I give up on wanderlust completely, I'll admit to being a geezer. Probably should just embrace geezerhood and stick to what I know. My trip higher in the canyon did really show me anything new and exciting.

RCF

Life of the Party
The Yak can be so fickle, perplexing, and frustrating as well as lights out.

Day 1 was lights out --> over 50 to hand. People stopping at the pull out and taking pictures of me catching fish (unnerving).
Day 2 fished the next day, same weather, temps, wind, sun, time etc. on the 'same rock' and got my ass handed to me on a big platter.
Day 3 lights out again.

BDD

Steelhead
The Yak can be so fickle, perplexing, and frustrating as well as lights out.

Day 1 was lights out --> over 50 to hand. People stopping at the pull out and taking pictures of me catching fish (unnerving).
Day 2 fished the next day, same weather, temps, wind, sun, time etc. on the 'same rock' and got my ass handed to me on a big platter.
Day 3 lights out again.
I have heard this scenario play out quite often, particularly on the Yakima. Makes me wonder if Yak trout have binge feeding behavior in that they can skip a day of feeding. Seems odd that is the case if insects are their main forage but I believe musky do the same thing with larger prey, hence part of the reason they can be challenging to catch because they are digesting and recovering from their last meal.

RCF

Life of the Party
I have heard this scenario play out quite often, particularly on the Yakima. Makes me wonder if Yak trout have binge feeding behavior in that they can skip a day of feeding. Seems odd that is the case if insects are their main forage but I believe musky do the same thing with larger prey, hence part of the reason they can be challenging to catch because they are digesting and recovering from their last meal.
Interesting thought. Never considered it before. Thank you for bringing it up.

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Trout are territorial pretty much come back to same spot on the river, as in example I floated Rhinehard to Ringer most always found trout in this one spot under a cut bank you could three cast to try an hook after that move on.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Salmonids digest their food quite rapidly. They don't lay around sated very long. Salmonids are also well adapted to going long periods without feeding. My guess is that has something to do with them "going off the bite" at times. Why they would not feed when there is forage around and their belly isn't full above my pay grade.

BDD

Steelhead
I don't really think what I wrote earlier about Yak trout is a real thing. But it is interesting to think about and it does remind me as a kid, we had hard-copy encyclopedias at home (yeah, it was a long time ago). The only book I really paid much attention to was the one on animals. I still recall seeing pictures of pythons, alligators, and other critters that would swallow a whole meal, to the point that its prey was visible within the extended stomach. That left an impression on my memory from some 45 years ago.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't really think what I wrote earlier about Yak trout is a real thing. But it is interesting to think about and it does remind me as a kid, we had hard-copy encyclopedias at home (yeah, it was a long time ago). The only book I really paid much attention to was the one on animals. I still recall seeing pictures of pythons, alligators, and other critters that would swallow a whole meal, to the point that its prey was visible within the extended stomach. That left an impression on my memory from some 45 years ago.
1698173707066.png

DobashDog

Freshly Spawned
The "Farmlands" has become very tenious with the water the lowest I have ever seen. The words of Clint Eastwood " A man has to know his limitations" comes into play.
Sorry, late to the party. I just found this site. Where exactly is the Farmlands and where can someone wade?