Articulated streamers question

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
I'm looking for advice from those of you who tie articulated streamers. I'm looking for suggestions on what material is best for making the connection. I have seen videos or read articles using Spiderwire, 9-Strand Surflon (nylon coated metal wire), and braided backing. I used 25 lb. braid for my first attempt (Rusty Trombone). Would love to hear what you use and why. Thanks.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
How big of streamers? For example, for my musky patterns it's always shank to shank lashed down to the hook shank. Wire will eventually wear out & with the time I invest in some of my patterns, I want them to last. For trout or bass, I typically go with 20-30lb power pro.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
For typical trout and bass stuff, I’ve not had any issues with 20lb maxima. My flies wear out or hooks get rusty before the maxima wears out. I’ve been using this for years and am good to keep doing that.

I’ve used doubled wire plenty on my
Muskie flies and never had any issues. I’ve heard about the rusting out but haven’t had it happen to me.

But I’d agree the shank to shank-tied -to-hook connection is much more bulletproof and the most robust setup. Haven’t tied Muskie flies in a while but will do this moving forward for them.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I just use the bead wire from the craft store. The 7 strand for trout, and the 49 for saltwater stuff. Haven't lost a trout, shark or barracuda yet! And, it's super cheap and is basically a lifetime supply.

G_Smolt

Legend
I've had bad luck with bead wire as well - about a decade ago, I had to throw away several hundred stinger-hook baitfish patterns with bead wire as the trailer material, as they kept breaking and my guests were losing fish. I got ahold of some good coated 20# wire (I think it went on to be Senyo/hareline branded) about that time, and that's one of the materials I use for trailers.
I use 30# mono on some, and 20# or 30# fireline on others.
For furled or wrapped flies and for all fixed-hook string patterns (leeches, etc), I use 65# or 80# spectra.
For my halibut patterns, I use a doubled strand of 120# spectra alongside 80# coated wire as a stiffener.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Haven't had one break yet with the Beadalon, but I'll take the above experiences into consideration. I'm actually surprised to hear this as I have a tough time just cutting the Beadalon to get the length I want to use.

I named an articulated fly (with Beadalon 49 strand) that I tied for Ascension Bay the Sharkuda Fly, because of the following events. One day down there fishing with my buddy Paul, I spotted a lemon shark cruising towards the boat. I grabbed my 10 wt. With the Sharkuda fly on it and cast in front of his face. He immediately inhaled it, and I played him for about 10 minutes before all of the sudden slack. I reeled in, and my fly was still on, so not sure what happened. A bit later we were on a different flat looking for Permit. All of the sudden the guides start yelling "backcast, backcast, backcast, 30 feet!" I backcast and as I am swiveling my head I see a big fish. 1 strip and it inhales my fly, and then instantly he was off. I had my permit rod in hand with a little crab pattern on it and 16Lb. Flouro. It was a barracuda! For some reason it hung around so I grabbed the 10 wt. Again, made a cast, and got him. Later that day, the guides decided to take us out to Torito flats. That is basically on the edge where the Bay ends and the Ocean starts (and Torito means little Bull...as in Bull sharks). It was appropriately named, there were sharks everywhere this day. We were looking for Permit, but after a while of not seeing any, we asked if we could cast at the Sharks. The guides said sure, and a couple casts later my buddy Paul landed a Nurse shark with the same fly. I still have the fly, beadalon wire intact, and hook bent to crap!

IMG_0178.jpg
IMG_20190228_194107_908.jpg
DSC_1100 - edit 1.jpg