Backyard Wildlife

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I didn't get any pictures, and it wasn't my backyard, it was about thirty miles away. But I saw six antelope on Friday. I should have turned around and got pics. They were only sixty yards from the road. It was my first time seeing them in Washington.
Very cool animal to see , anywhere.

I wasn’t aware we had any in WA that far north. I saw my first Washington antelopes in the hills south of Yakima a few years ago. Was pretty exciting to see them there.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
From my "backyard" trails this weekend.

Yesterday Buffleheads

1649007692221.jpeg

Awuugaa ... awuugaa ... Dive dive dive:

1649007764897.jpeg

1649007799178.jpeg

1649007818674.jpeg

1649007848736.jpeg

This Golden snuck up from behind, just turned and he was there, so not the greatest shot, worried for a second he might try and take our Coco

1649007945716.jpeg

1649008078746.jpeg

Today's Osprey:

1649010348601.jpeg

Divad

Whitefish
59473FB4-9EB1-470F-8911-CA0C06CF0FAC.jpeg
Mrs. Mally visits now every day three springs in a row stabbing her beak into the lawn for worms. Of course on occasion she finds sprouting bread crumbs somehow.

Last year she had 9 little ones with daily eagle, bass, and fortnite encounters taking all but 1. 🤞 for her this year, them little ones better have some strong DGH.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I didn't get any pictures, and it wasn't my backyard, it was about thirty miles away. But I saw six antelope on Friday. I should have turned around and got pics. They were only sixty yards from the road. It was my first time seeing them in Washington.
Are antelope native to Washington? I never thought of this being home to antelope. But then who would think a moose would swim across (Sun Lakes chain) Blue Lake?

RichS

Life of the Party
This is not my backyard. My daughter had bought a two night stay at a fancy resort on the Oregon coast for my wife and I as a retirement gift and we went over on Saturday to start with a tulip festival. Then we went to the coast at Lincoln City. Let's just say it was a bit windy there. So windy that it was hard to hold the camera still even braced against a rock.
IMG_1550.JPG
Cold and wet too. This put a damper on beach walking. We went to Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area twice. Common Muir on a big rock above the waves.
IMG_1592.JPG
Seals in the protected cove.
IMG_1561.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG
Inside of the Jetties at Newport we saw a number of common loons. With the long, into the wind runway that they need to take off they appeared to be stuck and frustrated by it. Plenty of head wind, but too rough for them to get any kind of running start. I haveseen this situation on Lake
Superior as well.
IMG_1595.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG
We also saw any number of Herons, Egrets, Bald eagles, Osprey, Gulls and the usual assortment of waterfowl- buffleheads, Canada Geese, buffleheads, Coots, etc. As we were leaving the coast we made a final stop at Siletz National Wildlife Refuge. The we saw Anna's Hummingbirds and a pair of Ospreys chasing a golden eagle. I wish that I had been able to get pictures of that.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
This is not my backyard. My daughter had bought a two night stay at a fancy resort on the Oregon coast for my wife and I as a retirement gift and we went over on Saturday to start with a tulip festival. Then we went to the coast at Lincoln City. Let's just say it was a bit windy there. So windy that it was hard to hold the camera still even braced against a rock.
View attachment 10850
Cold and wet too. This put a damper on beach walking. We went to Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area twice. Common Muir on a big rock above the waves.
View attachment 10851
Seals in the protected cove.
View attachment 10852
View attachment 10853
Inside of the Jetties at Newport we saw a number of common loons. With the long, into the wind runway that they need to take off they appeared to be stuck and frustrated by it. Plenty of head wind, but too rough for them to get any kind of running start. I haveseen this situation on Lake
Superior as well.
View attachment 10854
View attachment 10855
We also saw any number of Herons, Egrets, Bald eagles, Osprey, Gulls and the usual assortment of waterfowl- buffleheads, Canada Geese, buffleheads, Coots, etc. As we were leaving the coast we made a final stop at Siletz National Wildlife Refuge. The we saw Anna's Hummingbirds and a pair of Ospreys chasing a golden eagle. I wish that I had been able to get pictures of that.
Very cool, did not know Loons frequented the salt.

cheers

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Looking forward to birding season here. I'm already hearing different calls.

This from my TR yesterday. I didn't realize these guys nested in the tress by the river but I saw at least a half dozen nests.

DSC_8953(1).jpg

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Nice, Rich!

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Great photos, Rich. I'll be taking photos vicariously for a while.