What's in your cast iron tonight?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
This one was a "make as you go" choose your own adventure rather than a recipe. Used roasted chicken stock, dry gewürztraminer wine, thyme, sweet onion and green onion, a little bit of sweet corn, garlic, arborio rice, gouda/emmental/fontina cheeses and chanterelles. Half of the chanterelles sauteed by themselves and saved for topping at the end, half sauteed with the onion and garlic. Key is to add the stock slowly and stir. Hope yours comes out great! What mushrroms are you using?
View attachment 90406
View attachment 90408
View attachment 90409
My wife decided to make Japanese hamburger steak (hambagu) with sauteed matsutake as a side dish. Your rissoto looks absolutely delicious!

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So I was getting some salmon out of the freezer for smoking tomorrow and forgot that we brought home a couple of mackerel from sekiu this year. We never tried it fresh, but might was well smoke it as well.

Pulled it out of the freezer bag and my dad had marinated it before freezing it with just some herbs, garlic and salt.

It was lunch anyway so I sliced off a small portion and into the skillet it went for a sear and all I can say is wow....

I originally took the locals advice and cut one up for halibut bait, which worked too! But now I mean that need to find a new bait.

PXL_20231121_201036969.PORTRAIT.jpg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
So I was getting some salmon out of the freezer for smoking tomorrow and forgot that we brought home a couple of mackerel from sekiu this year. We never tried it fresh, but might was well smoke it as well.

Pulled it out of the freezer bag and my dad had marinated it before freezing it with just some herbs, garlic and salt.

It was lunch anyway so I sliced off a small portion and into the skillet it went for a sear and all I can say is wow....

I originally took the locals advice and cut one up for halibut bait, which worked too! But now I mean that need to find a new bait.

View attachment 91708
What kind of mackerel?

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Pacific Jack Mackerel.

All were bycatch while trolling for coho. But they definitely would take a fly if you could sit on a school off them.

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
I just upgraded our oven to an induction top. Anyone got any tips for cooking with cast iron on one? I cooked a fried egg and I loved the even heat
That is great. I’ve not much experience with induction top stove. They seem to heat up really fast!
The first caution that comes to mind is a big #12 skillet could damage the glass top, if it got away from you!

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That is great. I’ve not much experience with induction top stove. They seem to heat up really fast!
The first caution that comes to mind is a big #12 skillet could damage the glass top, if it got away from you!
My wife bought these silicone mats that protects the glass top. We are going to give them a try.
1709088024041960012684123378882.jpg

The most exciting thing is that the new stove has a bridge burner that will be able to fit my cast iron griddle on the side. I'm super stoked to be able to use that to go and grill some steaks just on the stove or even flip it over and make a whole bunch of pancakes and eggs.

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How do you like your induction cooktop?...does ceramic coated cast iron work on it? We are in the process of designing a new house and are considering an induction cooktop...
This was my very first meal besides eggs on the top, so I can speak too much about it yet.

Pros thus far:
- I boiled 4 cups of water and 2 minutes while cooking rice last night
- I am getting even distribution to the edges of the pan which has been really great for running making a large meal
- The pan does seem to have much more even heat distribution, which is also amazing easier for cooking

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
How do you like your induction cooktop?...does ceramic coated cast iron work on it? We are in the process of designing a new house and are considering an induction cooktop...
Enameled cast iron works on induction tops.