Your One Photo - 2023

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
1702446032324.jpeg
Credit for this pic and how this trip came together goes to @Cabezon

I’ve wanted to take a tuna on the fly trip ever since I saw it years ago on the Emerald Waters website. The gear, the flies and just how badass it looked. Well the years went by and I always thought one day I’ll make it happen. I’ve always struggled with a bout of anxiety from time to time and I’ve questioned whether or not I’d be up for the challenge of going out to sea on a trip like this. Will I get sick? Will I enjoy my company? Will I freak out and panic once the mainland is out of sight? All of these questions went through my head as a newby to the ocean game and I ran through all of the worst scenarios in my head. For sure I would be blowing chunks, fetal position in the cabin while yelling for the captain to turn the boat around 🤣

This year, when Steve sent the open invitation I pulled the trigger and booked a date. My anxiety instantly kicked in. WTF, fishing is supposed to relive my stress, not induce it.

As the “impending” trip was coming closer I found solace in tying a bunch of albacore flies which helped to reinvigorate a love of tying flies for me, something that had been waining a bit. I got inspiration from a lot of tiers on this site and dove into the East coast saltwater style patterns and techniques. Being creative/artistic has always been a form of therapy for me. Filling a box of tuna flies kept me on track mentally and spiritually so to speak.

The trip finally draws near…

Trip gets cancelled due to bad weather. Trip #1 gets rescheduled. Rescheduled trip #2 gets canceled due to bad weather. Steve pulls it together to reschedule a third and last go at it.

The weather was not looking good for the final rescheduled trip (#3). My GF and I got a hotel in Westport that weekend and dug some razors the first few nights. It was windy as all hell and there were sneaker waves reported by the locals. It was easy to see that the ocean was not in a good mood. I patiently waited to hear back from Steve to give the green light on the tuna trip while I restlessly waited in my hotel room. I thought for sure it would be canceled again and I felt equal parts disappointment and anxiety induced relief at that idea. A half day late (due to the weather) the green light came through and it was finally real. Oh shit, it’s really going down. I’m going on that boat, like it or not…

The next morning came and I met the group. My team was awesome. @Cabezon, @SilverFly and @jasmillo as fishing partners and a cool captain and deckhand. The early morning banter with the captain and fellow anglers put my nerves at ease. A few hours later we hit the tuna grounds. It was a surreal experience being that far out and seeing all of the wildlife. The images of white sided dolphins and humpback whales are forever burned into my brain. A cocktail of scopalomine and Dramamine had me feeling proper, no sea sickness for me. In fact I was feeling pure stoke all day. I can’t wait to get out there again and I’m super grateful to those who made it possible.

Dave

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
My wife and I celebrated 20 years this year. She and I roamed around southern B.C. for a week camping and paddleboarding.View attachment 94740
Congratulations on 20 years!

I thought it was impressive when after dating my wife for one year :ROFLMAO: (I was a dirt bag living in Brooklyn who hadn’t had a relationship longer than 6 months). This spring we’re celebrating 10 years (together for 12).

Clean Willy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
1702486024952.jpeg

One of many adventures we shared this past year. We were the only ones there and for a while just sat in total silence, taking it all in. Small fish were caught. Taken just a few days after our 38th anniversary. Together for 48 and after putting up with all my sh*t she still wants to hang out with me. Without question the luckiest man alive.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
View attachment 94731
Credit for this pic and how this trip came together goes to @Cabezon

I’ve wanted to take a tuna on the fly trip ever since I saw it years ago on the Emerald Waters website. The gear, the flies and just how badass it looked. Well the years went by and I always thought one day I’ll make it happen. I’ve always struggled with a bout of anxiety from time to time and I’ve questioned whether or not I’d be up for the challenge of going out to sea on a trip like this. Will I get sick? Will I enjoy my company? Will I freak out and panic once the mainland is out of sight? All of these questions went through my head as a newby to the ocean game and I ran through all of the worst scenarios in my head. For sure I would be blowing chunks, fetal position in the cabin while yelling for the captain to turn the boat around 🤣

This year, when Steve sent the open invitation I pulled the trigger and booked a date. My anxiety instantly kicked in. WTF, fishing is supposed to relive my stress, not induce it.

As the “impending” trip was coming closer I found solace in tying a bunch of albacore flies which helped to reinvigorate a love of tying flies for me, something that had been waining a bit. I got inspiration from a lot of tiers on this site and dove into the East coast saltwater style patterns and techniques. Being creative/artistic has always been a form of therapy for me. Filling a box of tuna flies kept me on track mentally and spiritually so to speak.

The trip finally draws near…

Trip gets cancelled due to bad weather. Trip #1 gets rescheduled. Rescheduled trip #2 gets canceled due to bad weather. Steve pulls it together to reschedule a third and last go at it.

The weather was not looking good for the final rescheduled trip (#3). My GF and I got a hotel in Westport that weekend and dug some razors the first few nights. It was windy as all hell and there were sneaker waves reported by the locals. It was easy to see that the ocean was not in a good mood. I patiently waited to hear back from Steve to give the green light on the tuna trip while I restlessly waited in my hotel room. I thought for sure it would be canceled again and I felt equal parts disappointment and anxiety induced relief at that idea. A half day late (due to the weather) the green light came through and it was finally real. Oh shit, it’s really going down. I’m going on that boat, like it or not…

The next morning came and I met the group. My team was awesome. @Cabezon, @SilverFly and @jasmillo as fishing partners and a cool captain and deckhand. The early morning banter with the captain and fellow anglers put my nerves at ease. A few hours later we hit the tuna grounds. It was a surreal experience being that far out and seeing all of the wildlife. The images of white sided dolphins and humpback whales are forever burned into my brain. A cocktail of scopalomine and Dramamine had me feeling proper, no sea sickness for me. In fact I was feeling pure stoke all day. I can’t wait to get out there again and I’m super grateful to those who made it possible.

Dave
Dude.... this. A million times over. Shout out to you man, keep your mentals right.

Last edited: