Your One Photo - 2023

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
So we're closing in on the end of the year which means a few things: It's dark as all hell, we've made it another year (well most of us) and football playoffs are on the horizon (for some of us). But for me and my family, it's a nice time for reflection on how we spent our time throughout the year. What we did, the places we went and the people we spent time with. Every year we make a book with some of our favorite photos which is a nice tangible thing given that most of our photos are on our phones these days--over the past 5 years its evolved into primarily photos of our kid 🤷‍♂️. Throughout this book making project, I sort through thousands of photos and usually am able to narrow it down to about 100 photos (depending on how I lay it out). It's a lot of fun reliving everything as we prepare to share these times and experiences with our family.

In doing this I thought I'd try to challenge myself to pick my ONE favorite photo from the year. I gave myself a couple ways to go about it: It could be the photo that best represents my year personally, represents my year with family, or it could just be my favorite art photo. I put one caveat that it had to come from my good camera (not my phone) otherwise it's just Pandora's box of how many I had to sort through. The picture doesn't even have to be good, it could represent a time, a place or a moment.

Well. This is where I landed.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 10.23.59 AM.png

It took me WAY to long to pick it out (I guess that was the point). Is it the best picture? NOPE. But it means a lot. This was a big year for me and my family. I quit my job and became this kids primary caregiver and we got to spend a lot of time together this summer before Kindergarten. This spot was particularly nice (some in Central Oregon may recognize it). It was just a mellow family hike and we stopped here for lunch and some 3wt dink fishing. It was perfect. It had a little damned in pool for my kid to play in while I rock hopped around. I could catch dinks and bring them back to the pool for my kid to see. This day perfectly encapsulated our summer. We spent a ton of time together at creeks and rivers throwing rocks, making sand castles and passing a 3wt back and forth. While things will likely change for the better--I'll never have this time back. Which makes me even more thankful for the time I had with her this summer without looming deadlines, briefs and print deadlines clouding my brain.

So what's your ONE photo for 2023. I'm serious. challenge yourself to pick one. Don't say you couldn't decide and post two. Don't make me report you, Evan will be pissed if I start reporting you all.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Man, trying to pick an event from/to represent 2023 is hard, and picking 1/125th of a moment is even harder, but here's one.

2022 sucked, and the first part of 2023 was horrid, but through it all we worked to build a canoe we could take adventures with. Pictured below is the moment the canoe left the shore on our first true adventure in it. Dog, kids, and I climbed into the boat and paddled for a long weekend of much-needed R&R. The weather was perfect, the bugs were absent, and the memories we made and talk about bring grins to our faces. This photo and that weekend kicked off a summer of trips we couldn't have otherwise taken, to locations we couldn't have otherwise visited, and marked the upward turn in our lives.

IMG_2999.JPG

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Man, trying to pick an event from/to represent 2023 is hard, and picking 1/125th of a moment is even harder, but here's one.

2022 sucked, and the first part of 2023 was horrid, but through it all we worked to build a canoe we could take adventures with. Pictured below is the moment the canoe left the shore on our first true adventure in it. Dog, kids, and I climbed into the boat and paddled for a long weekend of much-needed R&R. The weather was perfect, the bugs were absent, and the memories we made and talk about bring grins to our faces. This photo and that weekend kicked off a summer of trips we couldn't have otherwise taken, to locations we couldn't have otherwise visited, and marked the upward turn in our lives.

View attachment 94594
I never said it was going to be easy :)

But still, good choice.

Last edited:

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Well, the kids are not "kids" anymore, but we have a long standing tradition of going on family outings together with them, which we all still really enjoy.

This was from an outing up in the hills for a few days at our son's place about ten days ago. A great cap-off to what has been a challenging year for us!

1702409275927.png

Little Fork

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I love this thread.
Last January my daughter told me that her New Year’s resolution was to learn to fly fish. It was a surprise. Though she’s fished gear since she could hold a rod, neither of us had ever cast a fly rod.
I like this photo because it shows my daughter at the end of a long day of rock hopping, wading, and catching cutthroat on dry flies.
1702413764966.jpeg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
View attachment 94603
It was hard to pick a favorite, but this one edged out the competition.
I know right? It's not like you lose anything if you pick the wrong photo though :). I've been thinking about this thread since the end of summer. Originally I was going to start with just picking your favorite photo between Memorial Day and Labor Day, but then @Stonedfish wouldn't play because he hates Summer. He's like the Grinch of warm months.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I love this thread.
Last January my daughter told me that her New Year’s resolution was to learn to fly fish. It was a surprise. Though she’s fished gear since she could hold a rod, neither of us had ever cast a fly rod.
I like this photo because it shows my daughter at the end of a long day of rock hopping, wading, and catching cutthroat on dry flies.
View attachment 94602
Are you to both learning to fly fish at the same time? That rules.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood...
Sunny, no wind, clear and mild temps for December.
All the things he hates...well to be honest Notre Dame isn't here, and no Cowboys around, and the Humpys are gone... but I did see a float plane.
😁