NFL 2022 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Kelce is a stud…might be the best tight end ever to play the position…sorry Gronk…
Well, the best ability is availability, and Kelce has been waaaaaay more reliable in that dept over the years.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Well Howabout those Chiefs - now that was fun!!!!

Yeah, and Kielce is probably the best ever, what a stud!!

Cheers

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Kelce is not in the same league as Gronkowski. Gronk blocked like a tackle. Kelce is a fantastic player and much better at fantasy football, but in real football it is not close. Never seen kelce block anything like this:

So yah, Gronk missed games but he was asked to block 300+ lb players multiple times every single week in the run game. He did it at the higjest level. He was worthy of the hall of fame as a run blocker alone.

The pats rushed for about 15 million yards behind his wham block. It was his signature play with the Pats. I've never seen a better blocking tight end. It is not even close. Gronk was twice the player Kelce is.

As far as the game went:

Andy Reid is a bona fide offensive genius. He is the greates offensive mind in the history of modern football.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Well, the best ability is availability, and Kelce has been waaaaaay more reliable in that dept over the years.
Yes availability is important…but talent may be just as important, and f not more…first ballot HOF

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
TE
Kelce is not in the same league as Gronkowski. Gronk blocked like a tackle. Kelce is a fantastic player and much better at fantasy football, but in real football it is not close. Never seen kelce block anything like this:

So yah, Gronk missed games but he was asked to block 300+ lb players multiple times every single week in the run game. He did it at the higjest level. He was worthy of the hall of fame as a run blocker alone.

The pats rushed for about 15 million yards behind his wham block. It was his signature play with the Pats. I've never seen a better blocking tight end. It is not even close. Gronk was twice the player Kelce is.

As far as the game went:

Andy Reid is a bona fide offensive genius. He is the greates offensive mind in the history of modern football.

Kittle is a better blocker than Gronk ever was.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
TE

Kittle is a better blocker than Gronk ever was.
I've heard that Kittle is excellent. I watch very little 49er football being a fan of an AFC team.

I have seen Kelce enough to know that he is closer to Jimmy Graham than Ben Watson. I mean Kelce just doesn't really block at all.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, Kelce is very much a receiver vs an extra lineman, much like ol Grimmy Jam. Kittle is also excellent, but another who tends to spend more time hurt than on the field much like Gronk did.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I've heard that Kittle is excellent. I watch very little 49er football being a fan of an AFC team.

I have seen Kelce enough to know that he is closer to Jimmy Graham than Ben Watson. I mean Kelce just doesn't really block at all.

This seems to be a very popular, but false narrative:

"Heading into Sunday's win over the Carolina Panthers, Kelce's name was atop the leaderboards in several other statistical categories. He led all tight ends with at least 200 snaps played in Pro Football Focus' grades for run blocking (79.5), receiving (89.6), and overall offense (90.3), putting up better grades than he ever has. His level of play isn't just elite — it's all-time great."

"It was particularly difficult this week to not notice how aggressive Kelce was in hunting out blocks to open up teammates for open-field opportunities. This especially applies given the popular narrative that he isn’t much of a blocker."

"Make no mistake: Kelce still does plenty of down-in-the-dirt blocking, the stuff often overlooked and underappreciated,"

NFL Network analyst says Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce's best skill might be blocking. By Pete Grathoff.

"Kelce’s blocking has always been vastly underrated and that seems to be showing up again here. Last season, Kittle did oust Kelce as a pass-blocker, but Kelce’s run-blocking grades were far superior."

Do we need more? I will provide if you want

Cheers

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm not saying Kittle is a better TE thank Gronk. But I am saying Gnonk had a better QB......
My comments are actually about Kelce…even though he is the enemy, I admire his playing ability…he is one tough sucker to get down after he catches the ball…

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This seems to be a very popular, but false narrative:

"Heading into Sunday's win over the Carolina Panthers, Kelce's name was atop the leaderboards in several other statistical categories. He led all tight ends with at least 200 snaps played in Pro Football Focus' grades for run blocking (79.5), receiving (89.6), and overall offense (90.3), putting up better grades than he ever has. His level of play isn't just elite — it's all-time great."

"It was particularly difficult this week to not notice how aggressive Kelce was in hunting out blocks to open up teammates for open-field opportunities. This especially applies given the popular narrative that he isn’t much of a blocker."

"Make no mistake: Kelce still does plenty of down-in-the-dirt blocking, the stuff often overlooked and underappreciated,"

NFL Network analyst says Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce's best skill might be blocking. By Pete Grathoff.

"Kelce’s blocking has always been vastly underrated and that seems to be showing up again here. Last season, Kittle did oust Kelce as a pass-blocker, but Kelce’s run-blocking grades were far superior."

Do we need more? I will provide if you want

Cheers
I’m glad you posted this , it’s unbelievable some of these posts , obviously some don’t watch a Chiefs game very close . Kelce mixes it up with the best of them .

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I’m glad you posted this , it’s unbelievable some of these posts , obviously some don’t watch a Chiefs game very close . Kelce mixes it up with the best of them .
just watching that game last night and you can see that he's a pretty decent blocker....and he's also an exceptional route runner. Mahomes/Reid/Kelce really should have more rings. I'm sure they'll get more, but I certainly hope not.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Perhaps…but if blocking is the number one priority, just put a lineman in there…having the threat of a possession receiver on critical third downs and a go to option in the end zone trumps blocking for me…
All of the above TE's mentioned are a nightmare for any DC. A really good TE (exceptional blocker and receiver) puts more stress on a defense than almost any other position. A TE lined up in his traditional position (end man on the line of scrimmage) creates an additional run gap that has to be defended so that forces the run strength to his side. A TE is a better physical matchup (better than an OL) for run blocking defensive ends as they are, often times, mirror images athletically.

If that same dude is a threat in the passing game, then he's a matchup nightmare because anybody athletic enough to run with him is likely a smaller secondary type of body. Anybody big enough to matchup with him probably isn't fast enough to run with him. A good TE is an invaluable weapon!

Status
Not open for further replies.