2023 Garden Thread

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I just wanted to document my alley broccoli before the 13 degrees last night. It is a biennial purple sprouting broccoli that i bought from Territorial seed co. In about 1988 and have been growing it in different gardens since then. This one was planted in the fall of 2000. A little experiment hoping it will have survived long enough to produce some seed come April -June this year . In a week it’ll be uglier. Trying to perennialize through selection.E7476356-437B-49B0-80EE-82D639432A7D.jpeg

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
588BEF9B-29DD-45F1-8C35-468D330A618F.jpegD7A949E7-C8D3-4283-8061-064427BBE142.jpegTransplanted and moved flats up to shelves. Getting busy in the greenhouse. Will start trombocini rampicante at the end of March or first week of April. Going to start about 10 of them cuz i am putting up some cattle grating to make a big arch i can walk under to grow them on. And my other tall cage i grew them in last year. I want to donate to a food shelter.

Transplanting about 50 garlic plants in a box i built for them

Divad

Whitefish
View attachment 56834View attachment 56835Transplanted and moved flats up to shelves. Getting busy in the greenhouse. Will start trombocini rampicante at the end of March or first week of April. Going to start about 10 of them cuz i am putting up some cattle grating to make a big arch i can walk under to grow them on. And my other tall cage i grew them in last year. I want to donate to a food shelter.

Transplanting about 50 garlic plants in a box i built for them
Boy those purple LEDs bring back memories. Around 2010 the tech was booming and it was highly controversial if they actually helped mj. Then correct lenses for the LEDs was the discussion.

Hot topic amongst growers, I had a couple from Planet Natural in the finishing room. Cool to see you using them on starts.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Boy those purple LEDs bring back memories. Around 2010 the tech was booming and it was highly controversial if they actually helped mj. Then correct lenses for the LEDs was the discussion.

Hot topic amongst growers, I had a couple from Planet Natural in the finishing room. Cool to see you using them on starts.

Allican say right now is Wowsah!

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Allican say right now is Wowsah!
The light arrays are switchable. Each light array has a bloom and vegetable switch just shy of 180 each plus the 4 outlet switchable thermostat(70) and able to contol mats temps to a degree. Thermostat wand is placed in one of the flats. Which works great as long as there is watering going on and there is daily. This was a big investment for me.

Last edited:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
72 Russian White Mulberry Tree, seeds cold stratified in freezer for 6 months, 72 Violetta Artichoke, 72 Green Globe Artichoke.
20230308_153319.jpg
I should of started the Artichoke earlier so the starts can vernalize outside when it still gets below 50 degrees at night. I'll just put them in the walk in cooler for 10 days. 10 days below 50 will trick the plant into fruiting the first season.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yep, next season though. The powdered food didn't provide enough, or the right nutrients to fully develop the silk glands. They will get copiced eventually and the following year should produce a lot of fresh shoots and leaves.
Let us know how they come along please

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
First rhododendron bloom of the year - 'alba' which is a white flowering variant. These are very hardy, early blooming rhodies from Mongolia/Siberia/NoChina with small white flowers, normal variety is pink/purple.

So far the cold snap doesn't seen to have done much damage. Right in the middle of it, I had 35 big trees removed which really opens up some new planting opportunities to expand the collection.

r.dauricum_alba-03.10.23.jpg