NFR Swordfish

Non-fishing related
There is no "school" that you can go to that teaches this "trade". For me, it was a boat named "Outlaw" in Dana Point harbor in 1979.
Learning to throw the harpoon at kelp and various floating objects was a hoot. We had separate gear at the ready for the sharks. Good times for a long haired hippy teenager.
Were you a swordfish harpooner?
 
Matt B I have a lot of "sea stories". As a teenager anchored outside of Dana Point harbor, my friend on another harpoon boat was distraught. It seemed that his captain had been shooting the sharks, and had inadvertently shot a hole in the side of his boat. He was on a sinking boat, in blood soaked water with sharks swimming all over. My buddy was rescued that night and we drank a lot of whiskey.
 
Back then the harpoon boats were the coolest thing ever. They made good money, fishing was fun and easy. Dana Point was the place to be. Unfortunately, the gill net industry began to flourish from the Portuguese fisherman that knew how to use nets..But there is, still to this day, macho men that use airplanes, boats, flying bridges and planks to stick these magnificent fish with harpoons.
My point of this thread.... that these harpooned fish are a very special table fare.
 
"Fresh, wild-caught California swordfish typically ranges from $25 to $35 per pound."
IMHO this is a good deal. Heck, hamburger is $10 a pound. Of course you have to pay shipping,... and finding "harpooned" fish specifically, can be difficult. But I am here to tell you.... that this particular fish meat is amazingly delicious.
 
I love good and fresh swordfish steaks. Best i ever had was at No Name Seafood restaurant in Boston.
 
  • Like
Reactions: VMP
I love good and fresh swordfish steaks. Best i ever had was at No Name Seafood restaurant in Boston.
Great memories! No Name was my go to lunch place while in Boston for work, non-pretentious, large wood tables, filled with locals, right at the pier, near the boats, fish offloading nearby. Never tried their swordfish, their New England style fish chowder was the best, generous lobster rolls, plentyfull scallops, yumm. To pay you just walked to the register downstairs and just told them what you ate and payed accordingly, trust system. Sadly, I just read that they closed in December 2019 after more than 100 years around, from what I read due in part to the rapid gentrification of the Seaport district, what a loss.
 
Great memories! No Name was my go to lunch place while in Boston for work, non-pretentious, large wood tables, filled with locals, right at the pier, near the boats, fish offloading nearby. Never tried their swordfish, their New England style fish chowder was the best, generous lobster rolls, plentyfull scallops, yumm. To pay you just walked to the register downstairs and just told them what you ate and payed accordingly, trust system. Sadly, I just read that they closed in December 2019 after more than 100 years around, from what I read due in part to the rapid gentrification of the Seaport district, what a loss.
Every time I traveled to Boston first place I would go to eat. Great memories!
 
  • Like
Reactions: VMP
Back
Top