NFR Got any Herp pictures?

Non-fishing related
Yes, finally!
1000026208.jpg1000026269.jpg
 
Eastern Milk Snake. He/She (no introduction) was on the edge of the road trying to make the hill side on one of the busy roads in the park. After seeing quite a few turtles that had been killed by vehicles while migrating across the same area earlier this year, obviously by reprehensible bastards, I figured this may be the first trip to the rocky, denning area to the east for it. Had one driver get impatient with my crossing guard act so I ended up picking it up @clarkman style and depositing into the tree line. I slept better last night.
IMG_4017.jpeg
 
Eastern Milk Snake. He/She (no introduction) was on the edge of the road trying to make the hill side on one of the busy roads in the park. After seeing quite a few turtles that had been killed by vehicles while migrating across the same area earlier this year, obviously by reprehensible bastards, I figured this may be the first trip to the rocky, denning area to the east for it. Had one driver get impatient with my crossing guard act so I ended up picking it up @clarkman style and depositing into the tree line. I slept better last night.
View attachment 193822
To me that looks a lot more like a juvenile (perhaps young of the year) gopher or pine snake (Pituophis sp.). Whereabouts was it found?
 
South Central PA.
Did Google lie to me? 🫪
It may have been 15” in total.
 
South Central PA.
Did Google lie to me? 🫪
It may have been 15” in total.
Possibly, but maybe not in the direction that I originally thought. While a Pine snake would be incredibly rare there, from that pic above, it REALLY looks like a juvie Pituophis. My next best guess would be a juvie Eastern Rat snake as their head markings (especially as juveniles) look pretty similar.
 
It might be the angle of camera to subject with the bright sun casting an elongated shadow….see the head vs shadow. I think the colors have been distorted somewhat as the road is not that light color shown in the image and the “saddle sections” on subject matter were not that near black. But I’ll defer as you’re the in-house Herpmeister.
OAN I’m sending you a DM in a minute.
 
Back
Top