Search results

  1. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Lamb shoulder steak, wax beans from the garden, farro and blistered cherry tomatoes, also from the garden
  2. Gary Knowels

    Has anyone made cased sausage? Worth the trouble?

    Shit, I might even have a couple of sausage making recipe and instruction books you could have...
  3. Gary Knowels

    Has anyone made cased sausage? Worth the trouble?

    The grinder has a stuffer attachment and I typically mix large batches by hand in a JUMBO stainless food service bowl, which could also go with the grinder....
  4. Gary Knowels

    Has anyone made cased sausage? Worth the trouble?

    Also, I know that I'm not going to use the grinder for quite some time, I was planning on putting it in storage when we go to Pittsburgh. If you wanted to borrow it to give it a shot, I'd be happy to loan it to you for the medium-long term.
  5. Gary Knowels

    Has anyone made cased sausage? Worth the trouble?

    I've probably cased ~150 lbs of sausage at home over the last 15 years. Like others have said, I wouldn't do less than 15 pounds at a time considering the setup and cleanup process. Fridge and freezer space is a crucial element, when the meat gets warm the sausage quality drops. We have a main...
  6. Gary Knowels

    Spill your curry secrets

    For Thai curry pastes, I really like the Maesri brand. I always bump the flavor by frying some extra garlic, ginger, and chilies (and galangal if you got it). My favorite fat to fry in is the cream from a separated can of full fat coconut milk. Unsweetened rhubard puree (diced, cooked down with...
  7. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    Clean up is easy, rinse in cold water, which dissolves the dough and washes down the drain easily. Just make sure there aren't any bits left on the sink, they are a pain to clean after they dry. After rinsing with cold water, wash with hot water and soap like anything else.
  8. Gary Knowels

    Backyard Wildlife

    I'm having a bad aphid year. Kale, dill, and hellebore are taking the worst of it
  9. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    They'll be around for another month. I picked up 4 each of Rich Lady and O'Henry yesterday. My wife and I will eat one peach a day. Soooo good
  10. Gary Knowels

    Backyard Wildlife

    What a great image!
  11. Gary Knowels

    2026 Gardening Growing Thread

    I got my first ripe tomato today The plants are growing well at 5-7' tall and should start producing A LOT of tomatoes in the next couple of weeks
  12. Gary Knowels

    NFR Need vehicle opinions.

    This thread is timely for us. We're going to get rid of both of our vehicles and get a new one, with some sort of AWD a requirement. We're looking at something in the outback/passport/highlander class, most likely CPO. We've just started the process but that will pick up in earnest in the next...
  13. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    Thanks! The offer to bake together still stands if you're up for it
  14. Gary Knowels

    Bread Thread

    Roasted Garlic and Rosemary White Rye Sourdough. Oh my it's good and my house smells insane
  15. Gary Knowels

    Coralroot orchids

    ~3500 feet of elevation a bit east of Snoqualmie pass 1 week ago today. I only recognized it because you taught me about them through this thread!
  16. Gary Knowels

    Coralroot orchids

    @Cabezon Did I find some coralroot orchids on my hike last week?
  17. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    For a day lol. Really it was a move to clean out odds and ends from the garden and the fridge and it was the theme that seemed most unifying based on what we had on hand
  18. Gary Knowels

    The good boat deal thread

    I assumed as much, but I have to use for them and was hoping someone here would before I list them elsewhere
  19. Gary Knowels

    What Are You Eating?

    Grain bowls: Farro cooked in homemade chicken stock Mediterranean salad with cucumber, snow peas, purple snap peas, bell pepper, sweet onion, kalamatas, feta, red and white wine vinegar, olive oil, and za'atar Za'atar roasted beets Sauteed zucchini and beet greens Pork loin marinated in garlic...
Back
Top