SFR Yeti skillet

Sorta fishing-related

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Considering my new house cleaner was nice enough to run two of my Lodge cast irons through the dishwasher two weeks ago, maybe it'd be a good time to bust out the sander myself.
I suppose it's a cultural thing, but I'm always taken off guard that not everyone instinctively knows to never put cutlery or cast iron in the dishwasher.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I suppose it's a cultural thing, but I'm always taken off guard that not everyone instinctively knows to never put cutlery or cast iron in the dishwasher.
Cutlery is way more common to not know about. I feel like most people put their knives in the dishwasher without a second thought. But those are probably folks who have never spent good money on a nice knife or three.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
as long as you don't wash it again with soap
I wash mine with soap all the time. This “myth” came about when soap was much, much more aggressive. There’s no way in hell some hippie ass 7th generation soap is going to dent the seasoning that’s been baked on at 1000 degrees in my outdoor oven.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I wash mine with soap all the time. This “myth” came about when soap was much, much more aggressive. There’s no way in hell some hippie ass 7th generation soap is going to dent the seasoning that’s been baked on at 1000 degrees in my outdoor oven.

This is very interesting. I had always heard the "no soap" stuff, but I would trust most anything America's Test Kitchen had to say, honestly.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, I knew about the soap thing already. But running through the dishwasher is another thing entirely. That involves detergent, which is "aggressive," as you say.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
This is very interesting. I had always heard the "no soap" stuff, but I would trust most anything America's Test Kitchen had to say, honestly.
I mean, there’s nothing wrong with NOT using soap. I’m just much less precious than I used to be.

Yeah, I knew about the soap thing already. But running through the dishwasher is another thing entirely. That involves detergent, which is "aggressive," as you say.
100% would never run it through my dishwasher.

CRO

Steelhead
I can remember growing up that after washing the cast iron skillets i had to put them back on a heated burner to dry. Grandma and mom were from the old school kitchen and wanted those season pans to be treated just so.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I clean mine with very hot water (I have a separate water spout at the sink with 210f water that I mostly use for coffee or tea) - and then scrub with chainmail. Doesn't take much else.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
A bit of a thread drift, this is a thrift store find. It looks like someone tried to start seasoning it and failed, it’s chipped and peeling. What’s the best way to start over? I read one can spray with oven cleaner and bag it…

This is all new to me.

View attachment 68767
As @Rob Allen mentioned you can strip it down using a lye bath. I’ve done a lot of pieces this way but it’s a pretty big commitment for just one pan. I’d suggest the oven method. Place the pan in your oven and put it through a self cleaning cycle. Wait until it is cooled down before removing from the oven. All of the seasoning will be cooked off and you will be left with bare cast iron. Wash well and immediately dry and coat in oil. Canola works just fine. Wipe off the excess oil until the pan looks dry. Then proceed with several seasoning cycles in the oven.

It should be noted that your house will smell like cooked iron for several days after if you don’t ventilate properly.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
A bit of a thread drift, this is a thrift store find. It looks like someone tried to start seasoning it and failed, it’s chipped and peeling. What’s the best way to start over? I read one can spray with oven cleaner and bag it…

This is all new to me.

View attachment 68767
If you have a self cleaning over, place it in the oven upside down and run it through a clean cycle. After that, wash it with a non toxic citrus based soap an some steel wool. Dry immediately in a 350 degree oven and reseason.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on. 1000 degree oven? This has possibilities.

Zak

Legend
Ok help me out here. I have several cast irons, most of which I've had most of my adult life. Never once crossed my mind to sand the bottoms smooth. What exactly does that gain me?
Much lower decibels when the spatula slides across the pan.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

This is all new to me.

View attachment 68767
Roper - I'm new to the cast iron skillet game. I like the idea of using kosher or sea salt and a scrubber. Heat the pan on high for 5 minutes or so, add a cup or so of the salt, shake the pan to distribute it evenly and leave it on the stove for five minutes. Remove from heat and let it rest of another 5 minutes or and scrub it with a scrubber (bamboo, steel), discard the salt, put in some oil and rub it with a paper towel*. Done.

My pan is a Lodge. I didn't sand the bottom and have had a couple of sticky messes. But I think things are coming together. I cooked scratch buttermilk pancakes this morning, no sticking, nice even heat.

* haven't tried the salt method, haven't screwed it up that bad (yet?).

Zak

Legend

This is all new to me.

View attachment 68767
I used a coarse grit "flap wheel" mounted on a cordless drill to smooth the pebbly surface on my new wok. It would make short work of any crusty food bits or chipped seasoning.