SFR Yeti skillet

Sorta fishing-related

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
It's more that its size and durability are what make it worth it. It's $40. I've spent more than that replacing cheap hardware store buckets just in the last year.
But can you get a Seahawks logo screen printed on it ;) ?

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Lol as a fabricator in my off-hours, I wouldn’t bring a 5” flap to a knife fight. Dremel flaps are more than adequate, but to be honest the mouse sanders take the cake.

Done a couple pans now and doesn’t take long at all.
I’ve also sanded down a couple Lodge pans…with a palm sander…about two beers each…

headduck

Steelhead
Not quite sure how one would be conspicuous (show off) a frying pan... flava flav style maybe? Reminds of "OG'd" or "overgold'ed" from I'm gonna get you sucka.

But if you got the money to spend $400 on a skillet, i'd say life is good. Not my bag though.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Ok help me out here. I have several cast irons, most of which I've had most of my adult life. Never once crossed my mind to sand the bottoms smooth. What exactly does that gain me?

Reactions: Zak

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ok help me out here. I have several cast irons, most of which I've had most of my adult life. Never once crossed my mind to sand the bottoms smooth. What exactly does that gain me?
A smooth bottom… we are talking about the cooking side, right?

Lodge pans come from the factory with a “non stick finish”…I think they call it pre-seasoned…it needs to be removed, sanded down and seasoned correctly to have a true non stick pan

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
A smooth bottom… we are talking about the cooking side, right?

Lodge pans come from the factory with a “non stick finish”…I think they call it pre-seasoned…it needs to be removed, sanded down and seasoned correctly to have a true non stick pan
ah, got it. I think I've used mine with a metal spatula long enough, scaping the bits off the bottom, to get it smoothed out that way.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a new Lodge carbon steel 10'' pan that I am trying to train to be non-stick. It has that stippled kind of surface and so far has proven to be a recalcitrant little bastard despite several attempts. It is a serious candidate for the palm sander treatment.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
ah, got it. I think I've used mine with a metal spatula long enough, scaping the bits off the bottom, to get it smoothed out that way.
They’re just a little bit more non stick. I started with Lodge and graduated to hand me down machined pans and some bought wagners. The texture of lodge just holds a bit more crust and what not, particularly when you’re say, frying eggs.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Don't even need to dig and hope at the goodwill. Lodge 12" is $25 new

Actually the older ones are better..

You want the ones with the smooth cooking surface. The new ones are rough from the casting. New ones however can be fixed with a bit of grinding and polishing.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
A bit of a thread drift, this is a thrift store find. It looks like someone tried to start seasoning it and failed, it’s chipped and peeling. What’s the best way to start over? I read one can spray with oven cleaner and bag it…

This is all new to me.

17F349AA-4BE5-4BAE-94C3-879CD3BB0480.jpeg

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Not quite sure how one would be conspicuous (show off) a frying pan... flava flav style maybe? Reminds of "OG'd" or "overgold'ed" from I'm gonna get you sucka.

But if you got the money to spend $400 on a skillet, i'd say life is good. Not my bag though.
You get the sticker for your truck :)

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
What’s the best way to start over?
I don't know about the oven cleaner, but you could start with that. I don't see how it could hurt. Then you're going to want to get after it with your orbital palm sander. There are You Tube videos of this. Maybe take an hour or so. I saw one guy begin with 80 grit aluminum oxide and go down to 300. He ended up with a super smooth, better than new, cast iron frying pan.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Considering my new house cleaner was nice enough to run two of my Lodge cast irons through the dishwasher two weeks ago, maybe it'd be a good time to bust out the sander myself.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
A bit of a thread drift, this is a thrift store find. It looks like someone tried to start seasoning it and failed, it’s chipped and peeling. What’s the best way to start over? I read one can spray with oven cleaner and bag it…

This is all new to me.

View attachment 68767
When we get "new" ones we soak them in a lye bath for a couple days, this essentially strips them down to raw cast iron. Then we wash one time with soap and water then immediately dry it thoroughly to avoid rust then season it with canola oil or the lodge seasoning spray. Then it's ready for use and as long as you don't wash it again with soap. It will keep getting better and better with each use..