Yakima Waders, it is time

wetline dave

Steelhead
The river finally dropped below 2000 cfs today and running at 1930 or so, well into what I consider safer wading flows. I will not get into others thoughts on what is safe, wading is not safe to begin with! The drop has been about 100 cfs or so a day so it is looking really good for this weekend and the rest of fall.

Better yet the temps have started to drop here in Ellensburg with day time highs in the mid to low 80's and good cool nights. Those trout feed bags will be going on shortly!

The 1930 cfw is at Umtanum so it pretty much applies from Green Bridge down through the lower canyon.

Time to go get them. October cadis pretty soon as well as crane flies. Don't forget the BWO's and the regular may flies, stone flies and cadis and stone fly nymphs.

Dave

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Well it was almost warm here in Butte this morning. 30 degrees out. Supposed to get to 28 tonight. But warm up into the 80 the next two days.. It's almost like winter time. Here in Montana, we go right into winter from summer. No fall here.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Well it was almost warm here in Butte this morning. 30 degrees out. Supposed to get to 28 tonight. But warm up into the 80 the next two days.. It's almost like winter time. Here in Montana, we go right into winter from summer. No fall here.
Sure, you have fall, I think. Fall in Montana is the time when it is like winter in the morning and like summer in the afternoon.

Edit: isn't Montana Fall also known as the last and most urgent part of Road Work Season?

Dblhaul

Just Hatched
Floated the canyon form Bighorn to Reds yesterday. Yes, flows are down and did notice a few waders out there that know the river because they were on the gavel bars that are first exposed. Hope they had a good day, we did fishing to the bank.

The river finally dropped below 2000 cfs today and running at 1930 or so, well into what I consider safer wading flows. I will not get into others thoughts on what is safe, wading is not safe to begin with! The drop has been about 100 cfs or so a day so it is looking really good for this weekend and the rest of fall.

Better yet the temps have started to drop here in Ellensburg with day time highs in the mid to low 80's and good cool nights. Those trout feed bags will be going on shortly!

The 1930 cfw is at Umtanum so it pretty much applies from Green Bridge down through the lower canyon.

Time to go get them. October cadis pretty soon as well as crane flies. Don't forget the BWO's and the regular may flies, stone flies and cadis and stone fly nymphs.

Dave
A couple of questions for you Dave, and these Qs are NOT asking to reveal any honey holes or hot spots. I am fairly new to the PNW (Montana raised), and have just been concentrating on the salt by and large. So, the questions: 1) If I am just wading, where is a good place to park and wander from. I am used to Montana rivers, where you can walk for an hour or three and explore the territory, so just looking for a good starting point on the Yakima. 2) I have a Hobie kayak that I use a ton on the sound, and am thinking about using it on the Yakima with a shuttle. Any thoughts of good stretches to kayak.
Thanks in advance for any tips. Daniel