WTF, WDFW?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
In the context of the (title of) the original post, I'd say the WDFW screws the Eastside & Westside differently, but equally. WTF for sure.
This is my take on it.

But I'm genuinely unsure if there is anything that can be done to stop it. There are powerful political forces at play that we have never been able to overcome as sportsmen. And then if you add in more well funded groups that care more about conservation than the ability to harvest... I don't know where that leaves us.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
Kinda straying off the WDFW topic, aren't we?

"east v west" BS posting here doesn't really help anything and mostly just makes people feel like they are getting shit on. I know both terrible and amazing people on the east and west side of the cascade range. Geolocation has very little to do with human quality, as far as I've ever seen.

If you want to throw a whole geographic location of people under the bus for some sterotype you think you see, this isn't the place for it. Twitter is where you want to be.
I think a nerve has been struck as it relates to political agendas and personal attacks. No one here said, “all westsiders are bad people and want to take away my hunting opportunities.” That’s how some of you took it, but that’s not why this discussion is happening. It’s happening because a group of very politically connected people are sitting on a governor appointed committee and some of them wish to end hunting and possibly fishing in the state.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
I started getting trail cam pics of wolves 15 years ago. The "officials" denied their existence or dismissed the pictures as an anomaly. The problem with their explanation was that LOTS of us were getting these pics and the geographic diversity of the pics was COMPLETELY contradictory to what many of us were being told. You know...their transitory and this happens from time to time. Transitory, you know, like inflation was being described at the beginning of this year.

It got to the point where some people, like me, were starting to feel like there was a chance that the wolves were being supported in order to push a larger agenda...that being to take away the hunter's argument for our key role in conservation. When I said that to people, they said I was crazy and for a decade or more that agenda was very well cloaked. And here we are.

Unfortunately, for WA citizens, hunting is not a state constitutional right. I have been concerned about hunting in WA for a long time. I have always been aware that there were people who are fundamentally opposed to the way I lead my life. I wasn't overly concerned about it until it became more and more evident that those people would gain the power to stop me from doing what I love to do. That concern played a major role in my decision to move to Idaho last year. Idaho's hunting community is supported by its state's constitution. To me, hunting isn't a hobby or a passion, it's a way of life. I can't express in words how important it is to me...right wrong or indifferent. I don't think you should feel the same way I do but I think it's pretty shitty that someone who doesn't feel the same way can take that away from me.

Last edited:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
When I said earlier nothing would stop me from hunting and fishing, it's a way of life. I'll be this dude in 10 years. Hopefully it doesn't get to the point where you just have to stop obeying.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I think a nerve has been struck as it relates to political agendas and personal attacks. No one here said, “all westsiders are bad people and want to take away my hunting opportunities.” That’s how some of you took it,
I think the important thing to remember as far as PNWFF is that jokes don't land on a text based internet forum the same way they do around the campfire or in the driftboat. So when you add that to a topic that already brings out strong feelings, people are going to see things that weren't intended. It's just human nature and happens to the best of us.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The Wild Fish Conservancy and a few other groups have teamed up with many of the members. I sent an e-mail to The Conservation Angler a couple weeks ago. I spoke with their Executive Director after he called me (I was impressed). Excellent conversation. We disagreed. I suspect more discussion with the groups that are supported by anglers would help.

This is the reason taking anger out on WDFW for things that hey have no control over hurts (habitat, development permits, ag, dams etc.). So......look at those groups that are willing to team up with the humane society of the US and contact them! Nothing happens here on this forum except formulating a better way forward. So go on and do it!

I would start with the Wild Fish Conservancy or The Conservation Angler. TCA know that teaming up with animal rights groups was not OK. I was generally calm. I know my stuff, so I could speak to why reforming the agency was silly. The Wild Steelhead Coalition may be receptive as well.

The odd thing is that many of the members of these groups hunt and fish. They have just been trained to hate WDFW. If WDFW is the target, no meaningful progress will happen. There is no path to fish increases to be found in the sportfishing rulebook. Hatcheries are only an issue in certain places and certainly are not on the scale of the habitat issues that are overseen by ACE, DNR, Local Planning Dept's, DOE, Wash DOT....

So call or write the Governor, your local rep's, and the fish org's that partner with animal rights activists!

I will be writing my new rep's soon and very often.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think a nerve has been struck as it relates to political agendas and personal attacks. No one here said, “all westsiders are bad people and want to take away my hunting opportunities.” That’s how some of you took it, but that’s not why this discussion is happening. It’s happening because a group of very politically connected people are sitting on a governor appointed committee and some of them wish to end hunting and possibly fishing in the state.
People hunt that live on the west side. I am one. It's not a East vs. West deal or even rural vs. urban. It's a population level or individual animal/fish level viewpoint.
Honestly, go look at the similar thread on hunt wa. It is all politics there and really awful things are said about groups that I belong to (Westide left leaning man that I am). So, the point is not to muddy the waters with tribalism or regionalism. Contact your rep's and some of the fish groups that are involved with this. Let them know!

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
I think the important thing to remember as far as PNWFF is that jokes don't land on a text based internet forum the same way they do around the campfire or in the driftboat. So when you add that to a topic that already brings out strong feelings, people are going to see things that weren't intended. It's just human nature and happens to the best of us.
Super fair! Remember, I wasn’t the one calling names.

Just because I’m an inbred hillbilly, does not mean you get to publicly shame me or my spelling/lexicographic skill. Sad.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Super fair! Remember, I wasn’t the one calling names.
All my posts on how the forum is going should be almost always be viewed generally and not applying to any one person.

Just because I’m an inbred hillbilly, does not mean you get to publicly shame me or my spelling/lexicographic skill. Sad.
Not sure what you're getting at here. But anyone who knows and successfully uses the word "lexicographic" probably can't be made fun of for the quality of their written communication.

Reactions: JS

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
People hunt that live on the west side. I am one. It's not a East vs. West deal or even rural vs. urban. It's a population level or individual animal/fish level viewpoint.
Honestly, go look at the similar thread on hunt wa. It is all politics there and really awful things are said about groups that I belong to (Westide left leaning man that I am). So, the point is not to muddy the waters with tribalism or regionalism. Contact your rep's and some of the fish groups that are involved with this. Let them know!
It doesn’t change the position of the committee, man. Nothing is going to change those peoples minds and only a change in governor is going to give any hope to change to personnel on the committee. That’s not hyperbole.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
All my posts on how the forum is going should be almost always be viewed generally and not applying to any one person.

Not sure what you're getting at here. But anyone who knows and successfully uses the word "lexicographic" probably can't be made fun of for the quality of their written communication.
I was referring to @Mossback and his comments from before.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When I said earlier nothing would stop me from hunting and fishing, it's a way of life. I'll be this dude in 10 years. Hopefully it doesn't get to the point where you just have to stop obeying.

Mental illness is real.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For sure. He's quite fascinating isn't he? I'm thoroughly intrigued by people like that.

It would be an interesting conversation.

I didn't expect him to ride in a suburban.....i was thinking a horse....that he could possibly eat if hungry.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
For sure. He's quite fascinating isn't he? I'm thoroughly intrigued by people like that.
Not very intriguing or fascinating if you have to manage such a person at work. We had several, some of which resulted in fist fights and even firearm discharges on site.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I have worked with those types before ... and live near a few of them.
The ones I live near homeschool to avoid the forced indoctrination of government schools...
It can be difficult to carry on a conversation with that type of personality...always certain often wrong.
:)