Non-Fly When the tuna are being funky while keyed-in on small bait

Tuna Ball

Steelhead
I've tied a lot of different stuff but this simple pattern has been my most successful. I've never once had truly wide open albacore fly fishing when they're behaving as they are right now, but I've found this fly to at least produce semi regularly.

This one is olive/yellow because we were seeing saurie of that color one particular season, but tied in more blue/grey/silver colors has done well when they're eating small saurie of the color that are typically out there.

This one is on an Owner Aki hook and is maybe 1 1/2" overall length. Some congo hair and a little flash.

View attachment 79995

View attachment 79996

Thanks for the tip. I had these already in my bag but went ahead and rigged one up. I found them in my bass box. Looks pretty similar. I might troll them and then cast to jumpers.

IMG_20230829_122444932.jpg

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The smaller ones on the lower left have been good to me when they've been keyed on sauries. Think they're tied on #4 Live bait hooks. The 4" white squids have been my usual go to the last 2 years.

Screenshot_20230830_102211_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the tip. I had these already in my bag but went ahead and rigged one up. I found them in my bass box. Looks pretty similar. I might troll them and then cast to jumpers.

View attachment 80011
Those should hunt. Don't be afraid to trim them down, aggressively, if needed. Wouldn't be surprised if the bare tinsel body on the lead fly did the trick.

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Whelp, it just so happens that my 8'3" 12wt fights more like 14 or 16....🤔

Is that glass rod a Seele?
Definitely looking at a short 14 wt after this weekend. What size reel are you using on yours?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Definitely looking at a short 14 wt after this weekend. What size reel are you using on yours?
A big one....lol

I had the 11/12 Behemoth on it. ~450yds of 50lb powerpro, then tfe weedeater line (650gr Leviathan)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I do have a full Leviathan line that's never been put on a reel. Maybe I'll just attach the whole thing to one of my trolling reels. YOLO

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A big one....lol

I had the 11/12 Behemoth on it. ~450yds of 50lb powerpro, then tfe weedeater line (650gr Leviathan)
Haha. Of course a big one. I think that would work on a 14 wt. Might not be the perfect balance but that should not be a problem.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wondering if a better option for a conventional rod "fly/troll" line might be a hundred feet or so of 130# JB hollow. Stuff the business end with whatever length/weight of tungsten sink tip line. I wouldn't think it would even have to be secured with adhesive. A nail knotted tag of lighter braid might be all that's needed to secure the rod end of the sink tip.

This would make it fairly simple to change out and experiment with different lengths and weights of T line. And, reduce the chance for breakoffs with the heavy braid. Most of the tangles happen with fish spiraling under the boat at less than 100'. Or longer if needed.

Reactions: BCO

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Advanced tactics ready to deploy Friday

View attachment 81092
I like it. An ideal experiment would involve side by side comparisons of a rig like this alongside a standard fly rod and fly reel with the exact same line and fly pattern. If it’s really the fly line and fly that make it effective, there shouldn‘t be any difference in catch rate of the two rigs. But if there’s some sort of divine luck bestowed upon pure fly fishers by Poseidon, maybe that would be elucidated.
Your rig will be easier to get ‘em in on, no doubt. Fly rods are not very good for that in comparison.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I like it. An ideal experiment would involve side by side comparisons of a rig like this alongside a standard fly rod and fly reel with the exact same line and fly pattern. If it’s really the fly line and fly that make it effective, there shouldn‘t be any difference in catch rate of the two rigs. But if there’s some sort of divine luck bestowed upon pure fly fishers by Poseidon, maybe that would be elucidated.
Your rig will be easier to get ‘em in on, no doubt. Fly rods are not very good for that in comparison.
We have fly rods going as well. How long they stay out will depend on many things. But yeah, one of my biggest gripes is how much longer they typically take to get fish to the boat.