What's in your vise?

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Little spider:

View attachment 108631

I have a soft-hackle question.
Is there a difference between a brown and a natural partridge skin? When a pattern calls for brown partridge is it simply calling for a brown feather from a natural skin?
Not sure I agree with @Tom Butler . I think there is a brown phase partridge. In those birds, the nicely sized 14-16 feathers near the neck are more brown than gray/white. I need another skin like that, mine is picked pretty bare of those good stuff.

Here's brown and gray skins for sale (neither is dyed, this source says the female is brown, the male is gray):

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Not sure I agree with @Tom Butler . I think there is a brown phase partridge. In those birds, the nicely sized 14-16 feathers near the neck are more brown than gray/white. I need another skin like that, mine is picked pretty bare of those good stuff.

Here's brown and gray skins for sale (neither is dyed, this source says the female is brown, the male is gray):

I could be wrong, definitely not a know it all.:) I have seen skins darker and more brown than others. From mine, I pick white feathers from the right side for P and O's and such, and the browner feathers from the left side for my hares ears and such (notice how well picked over it is). Couple of grouse feathers upper left. I've been mixing the white and grouse recently. The white with red bands works well in the summer on larger softhackle flies.

Attachments

• 1000000081.jpg
    1000000081.jpg
    982 KB · Views: 12

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I could be wrong, definitely not a know it all.:) I have seen skins darker and more brown than others. From mine, I pick white feathers from the right side for P and O's and such, and the browner feathers from the left side for my hares ears and such (notice how well picked over it is). Couple of grouse feathers upper right. I've been mixing the white and grouse recently.
I'm not sure, either! I definitely have had some partridge skins that are more brown, some more gray. But after making my post above I went looking for info. I found very little online or in my book collection. I'd love it if someone who knows would weigh in.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
IMG-6679.jpg
IMG-6681.jpg
IMG-6680.jpg

Some pretty interesting tricks in the video; the fuse wire one, huh - all these years and I was (nothing unusual) clueless to the technique.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Thanks to a very generous @BigSplashTom I have a bunch of keel hooks to try.

I remember seeing a keel hook streamer as a kid. I can't remember if I saw it in a magazine or in person, but the first thing I thought of was a Daredevil spoon.
They catch fish!

So here is my #6 Daredevil streamer.

View attachment 107150

There is white marabou between the grizzly marabou.

Thanks Tom!
That screams pre spawn lake trout!