What's in your vise?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
From tying night....did a quick and dirty Nayat baitfish pattern sans eyes, then a couple of tiger musky singles that'll cast easy on an 8wt, and will still move like nothing you've ever seen in your life....well maybe (about the seen part, not about the crazy movement part).
1000012025.jpg

Last edited:

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
My take on a white doozer
-I wouldn't mind a little input:
Do you think my rabbit "tail" is too long?

Barred white rabbit zonker, some sea foam flash, little ice dub for collar instead of fox (don't have white), grizzled hackle and a little partridge for the gill plate

Overall I'm happy for a first attempt.
Staying up all night thinking of bull trout, figured I better get preparing.

View attachment 101032View attachment 101033View attachment 101034
View attachment 101040
I "think" you're a little long on the tail without a stinger hook tucked into the rabbit.... its definitely getting eaten though, and bulls arent shy about sucking it in! Sweet tie

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I "think" you're a little long on the tail without a stinger hook tucked into the rabbit.... its definitely getting eaten though, and bulls arent shy about sucking it in! Sweet tie
Thank you for the response.
I tied it a little long thinking I could trim down later once i saw more of the fly done, but then forgot to adjust before I tied in the feathers lol.

For a larger cutthroat or something, definetly worried about them pecking at the tail and missing the hook. Also hoping an aggressive bull will just crush it.

Bongoman

Life of the Party
108_5782.jpg

1st developed by Frank Headrick in 1965 for use in off color dirty water thus the Orange Wool Topping was not a option but interictal part of the pattern
Reference: Pacific Northwest Museum of Fly Fishing. https://www.pnwmff.org/history
Reference: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies by Trey Combs pg. 87
Plate #4 Tied in Frank's own hand.
Steelhead Fly Tying Manual by Tom Light and Neal Humphrey
pg. 85

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Brown-Drake-1080.jpg

Last one i'm presenting here. sorry