From a YouTube video

Scottp

Legend
Generic Caddis

52602656079_895958e47d_c.jpg

52601904357_166d21cf6b_c.jpg

52602823010_cb2265b1f5_c.jpg

52602395006_eee0393d78_c.jpg

Nothing in particular. Could be an emerger, egg-layer or cripple, I guess; you’d need a bead, non-tox underbody or split shot to get it down. Change color/size to suit your needs.

hook - WFC Model 11 #12
thread - Uni 8/0 camel
tag - Krystal Flash root beer/resin
rib - Krystal Flash root beer (doubled/twisted)
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear
wing - Congo Hair shiner tan
shoulder - sharptail grouse
head - grey squirrel (loop dubbed)

Regards,
Scott

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Still on a caddis theme, October caddis as sort of tied by Barry Ord. Body needs to be a bit shorter and more hair so a slightly larger head but should fish just fine. Wondering too re a little black/brown as a top on the hair.

Dave

View attachment 48202
That looks like a real fish catcher for sure.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
More prespawn patterns
How many segments are you tying into those? Do they kick pretty well on the pause or better suited to a straight retrieve? Ala the original game changer. Regardless, I love the look of that pattern!

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
How many segments are you tying into those? Do they kick pretty well on the pause or better suited to a straight retrieve? Ala the original game changer. Regardless, I love the look of that pattern!
Thanks! These tend to kick a little but not a ton (intentionally). I keel weight the back hook on the bend so that helps push the head around some. And the front hook either has a 4.5mm tungsten bead or med or small
Lead eyes. The number of wraps with the crustaceous brush or homemade Congo hair brush dictate how much they kick too

I tend to vary my hooks a bunch so as to build confidence in other hooks but generally these are just hook, either a 15mm or 20mm shank and then another hook. Sometimes for a slightly larger fly I’ll do the marabou on a tail or 10mm shank off the back but for these size flies don’t feel it’s necessary.

Pretty simple fly. Marabou with some rubber legs tail, polar chenille body (trimmed as desired) then schlappen and more legs. Sometimes do 2 colors of schlappen (or 3), Repeat on the shank with shorter marabout just to cover gap then front hook with the bead about 60% of the way up or lead eyes slightly further, same polar chenille body, schlappen and legs then brush head.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Thanks! These tend to kick a little but not a ton (intentionally). I keel weight the back hook on the bend so that helps push the head around some. And the front hook either has a 4.5mm tungsten bead or med or small
Lead eyes. The number of wraps with the crustaceous brush or homemade Congo hair brush dictate how much they kick too

I tend to vary my hooks a bunch so as to build confidence in other hooks but generally these are just hook, either a 15mm or 20mm shank and then another hook. Sometimes for a slightly larger fly I’ll do the marabou on a tail or 10mm shank off the back but for these size flies don’t feel it’s necessary.

Pretty simple fly. Marabou with some rubber legs tail, polar chenille body (trimmed as desired) then schlappen and more legs. Sometimes do 2 colors of schlappen (or 3), Repeat on the shank with shorter marabout just to cover gap then front hook with the bead about 60% of the way up or lead eyes slightly further, same polar chenille body, schlappen and legs then brush head.
It's funny, I've gotten my "game changer" style musky flies down to 3 segments as well. I can still get that nice serpentine movement on a straight strip but still easily incorporate other things into the fly (like you have) to make it do other things I want it to.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
A little 5" smallie baitfish pattern....playing around more with Copic markers. This is basically a hollow tie with a touch of synthetic (chartreuse bucktail under the tail and grey bucktail just behind the bloody white Titan dubbed head.

Q2l9uGX.jpg

Last edited: