What's in your vise?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
My daughter is more or less done fishing for the season, but she’s requested some new purple flies to go along side her “Bert Special” (it’s just a purple chubby).

She needs big flies to see and they’re easier for her to cast, and they need to float all day while she just drags it through
the water. I’m not the most creative tyer, I get enjoyment at tying other peoples patterns as good as I can (at least for dry flies). Andrew Grillo’s patterns are perfect for her so I’m stocking up for next years adventures. First up, some Hippie Stompers.

E336C004-65B3-4FD9-B882-AC0D45F95F9C.jpeg

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My daughter is more or less done fishing for the season, but she’s requested some new purple flies to go along side her “Bert Special” (it’s just a purple chubby).

She needs big flies to see and they’re easier for her to cast, and they need to float all day while she just drags it through
the water. I’m not the most creative tyer, I get enjoyment at tying other peoples patterns as good as I can (at least for dry flies). Andrew Grillo’s patterns are perfect for her so I’m stocking up for next years adventures. First up, some Hippie Stompers.

View attachment 40454

Another good one is the Blingnobyl Ant from Fly Fish Food (a Google search will bring the you tube video up). I replace the foam indicators with congo hair for floatability and visibility. Since you were asking about foam in the other thread, and mentioned you often get it from craft stores, I thought you might like this one. It uses 2mm glitter foam from the craft store. I glue a sheet of glitter foam together with another piece of regular foam and cut out the bodies. I use GSP 50D to tie them on a size 10 2xl nymph hook. I use all the colors too, and they have all worked really well! Your daughter will probably get a kick out of the "glitter factor" too!

Here's a crappy phone pic of one I tied up the other day:

20221103_114429.jpg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Another good one is the Blingnobyl Ant from Fly Fish Food (a Google search will bring the you tube video up). I replace the foam indicators with congo hair for floatability and visibility. Since you were asking about foam in the other thread, and mentioned you often get it from craft stores, I thought you might like this one. It uses 2mm glitter foam from the craft store. I glue a sheet of glitter foam together with another piece of regular foam and cut out the bodies. I use GSP 50D to tie them on a size 10 2xl nymph hook. I use all the colors too, and they have all worked really well! Your daughter will probably get a kick out of the "glitter factor" too!

Here's a crappy phone pic of one I tied up the other day:

View attachment 40460

Right up her alley! Thanks James!

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Purple-Passion-1080.jpg

Purple Passion

Salmon Fly

Buddy MacIntyre

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tag - Oval silver tinsel, purple floss
Tail - Golden pheasant crest
Butt - Black ostrich herl
Rib - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Rear - UNI Micro-Tinsel*; front - black wool
Throat - Purple hackle fibers
Wing - Black squirrel tail
Cheeks - Jungle cock

*Recipe did not provide a specific color, so I went with purple as it is the theme of this fly

Fly Patterns of Canada - Paul C Marriner

Scottp

Legend
Hairwing R/A Green Peter (variation)

52490638993_5cd345de5d_c.jpg

52490556955_3b45fb6efd_c.jpg

52490556950_1ff3143f58_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
tag - Orvis Saltwater thread fluoro orange/resin
rib - small wire gold
body - Starburst dubbing olive
hackle - brown wing - deer hair dyed olive (1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow/1 cup water, overdyed with 1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow, 1 Tsp Rit Dark Green/2 cups water)
1st shoulder - pheasant rump dyed olive
2nd shoulder - grizzly hen saddle dyed Silver Doctor blue (1 pack Koolaid Ice Blue Raspberry/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Robidoux-1080.jpg

Robidoux

Salmon Fly

Claude Bédard

Hook - Single salmon

Thread - Gray

Tag - Oval silver tinsel

Tail - Yellow hen hackle fibers

Rib - Silver holographic tinsel

Body - Yellow stretch nylon

Wing - Grey squirrel tail

Collar - Grizzly hen

Fly Patterns of Canada - Paul C Marriner

Scottp

Legend
Bumbled Apache Shrimp

52491298731_45d3bbf68d_c.jpg

52491850558_58ab2bbd51_c.jpg

52491296586_264a2386ab_c.jpg

Loved the colors on the original; a bit different look here (the orange Ice Dub is much closer to sunburst than true orange).

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
tail - golden pheasant body feather red
rib - small wire gold
rear body - Ice Dub orange
rear hackle - dyed sunburst (1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow/1 cup water)
front body - Simi Seal dubbing red
front hackle - red
shoulder - grizzly hen

Regards,
Scott

Scottp

Legend
Bumbled Sugerman Shrimp

52492639025_af34199307_c.jpg

52492170126_8a5f8276d5_c.jpg

52492170106_cf7c41d501_c.jpg

More fun playing with Atlantic salmon flies. Saw a version with dyed ring neck rump for the tail so I tried that here; think I like a red GP feather better.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
tail - pheasant rump dyed orange (1 Tbs Rit Sunshine Orange/1 cup water)
rib - small wire gold
rear body - Ice Dub Caddis Green
rear hackle - fluoro green
front body - Ice Dub black
front hackle - black
shoulder - guinea

Regards,
Scott

Scottp

Legend
Buzzball (variation)

52492799545_d24ff1eb72_c.jpg

52492334271_f15c9d0751_c.jpg

52492616604_49fed5112e_c.jpg

Kind of a Jingler version of Gary LaFontaine’s midge cluster fly. Unlikely that putting the softhackle up front did anything more than add another step, but in the off-chance that it works, you saw it here first. Tying this one reminded me why I hate UTC 70 so much (I can get tighter wraps with 4 strand floss); got to put in an order for some Uni 8/0 pumpkin.

hook - WFC Model 3 #1
thread - UTC 70 burnt orange
hackle - orange, dun (clipped to length - gap width top, bottom, sides); grizzly (sized properly for the hook and trimmed top/bottom)
shoulder - hen grizzly

Regards,
Scott