What's in your vise?

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Is the fly weighted? I’ve been interested in using a fly for walleye.

yes

lead tape cut to shape

similar to this

zonker_body_shape.jpg

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I don’t love fly thing by nature. I love creating something and catching a fish with it. Following a recipe or tying the same fly over and over bores me super quick.

That is one of the reasons I love our local SRC. I don’t think I’ve caught a species of fish on more fly patterns than SRC. They are aggressive and make a mediocre fly tyer like myself feel like they actually know what they are doing ;).

So, this time of year starts 3-4 months of truly fun experimental fly tying for me. Weird color combos, weird material combos, ugly flies, large flies, small flies and everything in between. I could certainly catch more fish…and maybe better fish sticking to the usual. But unlike coho where I tie 100+ stinger clousers a year to catch a fish I target for food, SRC are fished for fun. I am not going to tie 145 olive Woolley buggers and catch as many as possible. I am going to tie 1…maybe 2 of any given pattern that may be similar to something I’ve tied before, but probably not the same as any other flies I’ve tied for SRC.

E53A6DB9-F105-433C-93CD-A60E1826BEE9.jpeg

6962C3D2-0A88-4854-B87D-791E8635F2D4.jpeg

Except for variations of that olive wooly bugger. I always tie some variation of those for outings when these fantastic little bastards decide to get picky and try to skunk me ;).

A03F5715-85EA-4C82-BA40-4F346D5B7857.jpeg

Some fun stuff. Not groundbreaking. Just a guy grabbing random materials from the closet and tying up something that will probably….. work.

Also, just want to call out Spawn Fly fish. Did not have a material I wanted. Refunded my money but also gave me something similar as a replacement. They did not need to do that. I’ll order an item or two from them next time around that I do not need to throw them some extra business. Small business owners….this is a simple yet effective way to build some loyal customers. So simple yet so many business don’t deliver on this front.

B1C88BD9-3B26-4298-9774-CB16763876D5.jpeg

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I don’t love fly thing by nature. I love creating something and catching a fish with it. Following a recipe or tying the same fly over and over bores me super quick.

That is one of the reasons I love our local SRC. I don’t think I’ve caught a species of fish on more fly patterns than SRC. They are aggressive and make a mediocre fly tyer like myself feel like they actually know what they are doing ;).

So, this time of year starts 3-4 months of truly fun experimental fly tying for me. Weird color combos, weird material combos, ugly flies, large flies, small flies and everything in between. I could certainly catch more fish…and maybe better fish sticking to the usual. But unlike coho where I tie 100+ stinger clousers a year to catch a fish I target for food, SRC are fished for fun. I am not going to tie 145 olive Woolley buggers and catch as many as possible. I am going to tie 1…maybe 2 of any given pattern that may be similar to something I’ve tied before, but probably not the same as any other flies I’ve tied for SRC.

View attachment 40379

View attachment 40378

Except for variations of that olive wooly bugger. I always tie some variation of those for outings when these fantastic little bastards decide to get picky and try to skunk me ;).

View attachment 40380

Some fun stuff. Not groundbreaking. Just a guy grabbing random materials from the closet and tying up something that will probably….. work.

Also, just want to call out Spawn Fly fish. Did not have a material I wanted. Refunded my money but also gave me something similar as a replacement. They did not need to do that. I’ll order an item or two from them next time around that I do not need to throw them some extra business. Small business owners….this is a simple yet effective way to build some loyal customers. So simple yet so many business don’t deliver on this front.

View attachment 40383
Those top 2!!!! man, I'd swing/strip those for winter steelhead all day, every day....hell yeah!

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Killer-1080.jpg

Killer

Salmon Fly

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H or equivalent

Thread - Black

Tail - Red hackle fibers

Ribbing - Flat silver tinsel

Body - Bright red wool

Hackle - Bright red as a wet fly collar

Wing - Natural black squirrel tail or black bear hair

The Book of Fly Patterns: Over 1,000 Patterns for the Construction of Artificial Flies - Eric Leiser

Scottp

Legend
Willie Gunn Octopus (variation)

52488315964_4b08c6f93a_c.jpg

52488039256_956826fdfa_c.jpg

52487544062_29baa9a01b_c.jpg

Not enough variation between the sunburst and orange for a true W/G, although the overall effect is nice enough; more work at the dye bath required.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
tail - yarn flame
rib - small wire gold
body - Starburst dubbing gold
hackles - dyed sunburst (1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow/1 cup water)
1st shoulder - golden pheasant body feather yellow dyed sunburst
2nd shoulder - pheasant rump dyed orange (1 Tbs Rit Sunshine Orange/1 cup water) collar - hen saddle dyed black

Regards,
Scott

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
View attachment 40419
The video kinda sucks but I'm planning on posting a new fly-tying video every Monday if you are interested in subscribing!

This is weird, I was just working some up for whitefish. I'll watch the video before I go on.
20221109_152027.jpg

Last edited: