What's in your vise?

Scottp

Legend
BRF Grouse & Pink (variation)

52406827934_2185517b01_c.jpg

52407045433_798f89a914_c.jpg

52406534626_58db758013_c.jpg

Another one for runners coming up from Hebgen into the Park; switched up a number of materials from the original but the overall effect is similar.

hook - Maruto 206bl #8
thread - Danville 6/0 fluoro pink
tail - sharptail grouse
rib - small wire black
body - Danville flat wax fluoro pink
thorax - Ice Dub black
1st shoulder - sharptail
2nd shoulder - sharptail aftershaft (loop dubbed)

Regards,
Scott

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Cutthroat Kutling and Cutthroat Spider. Looking forward to trying them out.

View attachment 35377

Those look great.
I wish I could get palmered mallard to look like that. Mine just never look good.
Anything you do special to get it to look so nice?
SF

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
Those look great.
I wish I could get palmered mallard to look like that. Mine just never look good.
SF
Mallard and other Duck feathers can be a bit unruly sometimes. I know what you mean. It has a lot to do with the shape of the feather's shaft, I think.
Pick a symmetrical feather to begin with and prepare it in the standard way. Choose a section of the feather where all the barbs are as close to the same length as possible. Tie in by the tip and constantly fold the barbs back as you wrap forward in slightly overlapping turns - about four or five turns in the case of the Cutthroat Spider. You can keep stroking the feather back after it is tied in. A little saliva helps the feather "memory".
IMG_1833.jpg
Some remove the barbs from one side of the feather.

Another way is to use scissors to rub along the feather shaft and fold the barbs.IMG_1839.jpgE25CFE03-B6F4-4BFF-8A8C-28C0B66038FD.jpeg
Those look great.
SF

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Mallard and other Duck feathers can be a bit unruly sometimes. I know what you mean. It has a lot to do with the shape of the feather's shaft, I think.
Pick a symmetrical feather to begin with and prepare it in the standard way. Choose a section of the feather where all the barbs are as close to the same length as possible. Tie in by the tip and constantly fold the barbs back as you wrap forward in slightly overlapping turns - about four or five turns in the case of the Cutthroat Spider. You can keep stroking the feather back after it is tied in. A little saliva helps the feather "memory".

View attachment 35439

Jack,
Thanks for the tips.
Much appreciated.
SF

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead

View attachment 35441

Have you ever used your tying scissors to gently scrape the side of the stem a few times? The scraping helps fold the hackle fibers. I have also found the thinner stems palmer easier.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Leib-s-Bug-1080.jpg

Leib's Bug

Don Leib

Hook - Mustad 9672 or equivalent, size 6-12

Weight - Lead free wire

Thread - Black

Tail - Brown goose biots tied in a "V"

Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel

Body - Peacock herl

Hackle - Brown. Clip off on top

Legs - Brown goose biot tied in on each side so tips flair out

Popular Fly Patterns - Terry Hellekson

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Pig-Nymph-Black-Top-1080-down.jpg

Pig Nymph - Black

Hooks - TMC3761 or DAI1560 or equivalent, sizes 12-16

Thread - Black

Tail - Three dark peccary hairs

Abdomen - Wrapped with dark peccary hair

Thorax - Black ostrich herl

Legs - Black hen hackle tied on as a collar and trimmed off on top and bottom

Doug Prince of Monterey, California, originated this pattern. In view of the fact that peccary is not always available, many fly tiers have found that moose is just as effective.

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Scottp

Legend
Autumn Muddler

52412082575_ab2a1b6650_c.jpg

52412151158_8e9ec6f547_c.jpg

52411639276_24616b020a_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 fire orange
tag - Orvis Saltwater thread fluoro orange/resin
rib - small wire copper
body - Starburst copper
body hackle - brown/hot orange
shoulder - golden pheasant body feather red
collar/head - deer hair dyed brown (2 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Dark Brown/2 cups water)

Regards,
Scott