What's Catching You Fish?

RichS

Life of the Party
We fish them on a sinking line appropriate to the depth to be fished. They float up off the bottom if fished at the bottom, but they work suspended too. Like 20 feet down in 40 feet of water. Let them sink deep as desired and strip them back with varying retrieve until what works that day is determined.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
A straggle stone and the dark pallet knuckle dragging stone worked well together in high off color water.
20240127_stones.jpg
20240127_ssfish.jpg
Had the line all buggered up around the "line guard" again. Need to get it moved over to the new reel. Still like this rod though. It's like a CT, just nice to fish with. I noticed a lot of things today after talking with folks, but in no hurry to get something new.

Attachments

• 20240127_gear.jpg
    20240127_gear.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 21

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Hit a beach and a a couple of lakes yesterday morning. Beach was slow, lost one early, then nothing. First lake was slow, missed on bobber take down but @Kfish got a couple on chironomids. Made a quick stop at a second lake and was able to knock the skunk off with this long, lanky cutthroat on a simple black bugger type pattern.

IMG_4059.jpeg

IMG_4054.jpeg

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
My drowned straggle stone emerger proved quite attractive to the trout, however a couple did come unbuttoned.
20240210_ssenerger.jpg
20240210_ssenergerfish.jpg
and the knuckle dragging straggle stone in skwalla dress was a hit as well, without a single fish coming unpinned from the fm 5045 until they hit the net.
20240210_kndrssskwdrs.jpg
20240210_kndrssskwdrsfish.jpg

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
The one fly to rule them all. Swung with10' S3 on a 9' RS4 6wt.
20240222_GRHE.jpg
20240222_hefishA.jpg
Some were too big for the trout net. All had fins.
20240222_no2.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Couldn't sleep last night so I tied up some BHGRHE's w/ grouse collar.
20240224_grhewgr.jpg
Nicknamed this one Rocky, kinda looked beat up, but wow, learned to fight during it's travels.
20240224_grhewgrfish.jpg
The old Sage and I seem to have had some magical days together since I sobered up.
20240224_sage.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Was standing in the river talking with another fisherman who'd gone 5 hr's with no luck. As we talked he scooped up one of the stones that was drifting by. Not sure if it was a skwala, I wasn't holding it, and it got away. Looked a little small and dark, and the wings just didn't seem right.
Even though the water was up to 41 deg, nothing for me after trying different dries by themselves upstream for an hour. Never saw a rise.
20240307_swala.jpg
Put on a hares ear and headed back down,
20240307_grhe.jpg
And was quickly rewarded with a nice fish.
20240307_grhefish.jpg
The fish were there, just not looking up. The GRHE took more than the knuckle dragging stone and straggle combined. To me it looks like a little fish swimming along the bottom.

Last edited:

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter