What's a budget gear rod for salmon?

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Perhaps also consider other uses you might want in the future for whatever set-up you decide on.
Based on where you live, saltwater would be another option.
Nothing wrong with spending the day on the beach tossing a rotator or buzz bomb for salmon. Fun way to fish and productive.
SF
One reason I highly suggest an 8'6 Celilo is that it is light enough to float fish, throw jigs, spoons, and spinners but sturdy enough to let you throw buzz bombs and rotators from the beach all day
Okuma SST is a pretty darn nice rod for the money
Love that rod, I bought it in 2020, used it for everything, caught some Pinks with it, a couple Sea Runs too. Accidentally backcasted it into my kill bag, but rather than buy a new rod I talked Okuma support into selling me a tip for the new version since the old one was discontinued. Casts basically the same, it's just a half brown half black rod now. I have the 9'6 6-12lb spinning rod. Sensitive enough that I had fun bringing in a little 8 inch cutty, but strong enough that I had a relatively easy time fighting 8-12lb Chums. It's long enough to mend the line while float fishing, but short enough that you can fish other techniques and still have sensitivity. It casts great and feels wonderful with a fish on the line. If you have the money to spend it is well worth the extra dollars over the Celilo (Which I also consider a good rod).

As for the Baitcast/Spinning debate, I also have the Okuma Guide Select Pro casting rod in 9'2. Also a great rod although I wish I picked up a 10'6 instead for better mending on big water. (If anyone has a 10'6 and feels it's too long, feel free to DM as I would be willing to trade) Although the baitcasting cast is much harder than a spinning cast. I can cast it pretty accurately but sacrifice a ton of distance compared to a spinning rod. If you plan to fish pressured holes, keep that in mind. Right now I don't feel comfortable taking a casting rod to a combat hole. The baitcaster is a little nicer for controlling the drift, and I prefer the way it feels in my hand, especially the lowprofile reel. But realistically the spinning reel does the job just as well. It's all about what you are comfortable with. A baitcaster reel is substantially more expensive than a spinning reel as well. Yes, there are $50 baitcasters, but everyone I know who used them tells me a $50 baitcaster isn't nearly as nice as a $50 spinning

ARecher

Smolt
Kinda late to the party here. But my favorite rod for the beach is a 10'6" Okuma GSP spinning in Med. (the heavier 10'6"). I mostly fish herring with that rod and I can feel everything with it (very sensitive). I broke the top earlier this season (I think I hit it with a weight and made a weak spot) and they sent me a new one for $20. I also had one of the newer SST 9'6" spinning rods that I bought while the GSP was out of commission. That was certainly fine but the components and finish are MUCH nicer on the GSP. I blew up the SST on the river. I was fishing a tight spot and tried to hoist the fish up over a log (it's a 6 piece rod now). Totally my mistake (didn't try to warranty that one). I mostly use my old 9'6" MH Shimano Clarus steelhead float rod for the river now. That's another great mid/lower priced rod, though I'm not sure they make the same model anymore. I'm not a baitcaster fan unlesss I'm gear fishing from the kayak. I've caught everything on the Okuma spincasters up to 20 pound kings from the beach. That warranty on the GSP was really nice to have!

I get most of my meat fish from the salt but river fishing is sure fun, That buck on the bottom was a pig! Probably well into the teens.

Attachments

• 313976913_10226538480075725_6950701301632328510_n.jpg
    313976913_10226538480075725_6950701301632328510_n.jpg
    971 KB · Views: 15

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Not many better price point reels and rods than Okuma, 30-06 setup would be a Celilo 10'6 Mh with baitcasting reel loaded with 60# braid to a swivel, leader of 15# UG (tow a boat with that stuff), lighter if clear water, Thill float, tie up some jigs or buy some Brads jigs, light spray of shrimp oil or pure anise on them every few drifts. As much as I enjoy swinging flies for Kings in tidwater, there are times/places when such a set-up sent me home with King's when a flyrod wouldn't have.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Not many better price point reels and rods than Okuma, 30-06 setup would be a Celilo 10'6 Mh with baitcasting reel loaded with 60# braid to a swivel, leader of 15# UG (tow a boat with that stuff), lighter if clear water, Thill float, tie up some jigs or buy some Brads jigs, light spray of shrimp oil or pure anise on them every few drifts. As much as I enjoy swinging flies for Kings in tidwater, there are times/places when such a set-up sent me home with King's when a flyrod wouldn't have.
I'd only go that long if float fishing is the game. Most guys twitching jigs or casting spinners will be running < 8'