What's a budget gear rod for salmon?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
When I fish moving water, I fish with fly rods. My gear rod interest is mostly just limited to bass/panfish fishing when poppers aren't working or fly casting isn't feasible.

But I sometimes think it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a gear setup for salmon so I could go out and have a more consistent shot at catching something for the freezer on my poor abused fly-unfriendly local river system. Plus, it might teach me a few things I don't know about where fish actually hold instead of me concentrating on casting so much.

I, however, know nothing about how to gear fish for salmon or what rod/reel you'd want. All I know is bass as far as gear. I know there are multiple ways of fishing for salmon with a gear rod and that serious dudes have multi rods for each. But is there something in between that would let me try a couple different styles on one rod? For bass, that'd be a medium spinning rod (or maybe a MH casting rod depending on where/what you were fishing). You can get a lot done with a rod like that, not everything, but enough. Is there something for salmon that is that kind of thing? An all-around stick?

This random PNW site suggests a 9'6 ML and says you can get float/drift/spinners/jigs done with it well enough. This BC guy suggests a baitcaster and a 10-11' M to MH rod.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Go to lamiglas and buy one of their seconds or a repaired rod.. 1/2 price with the quality.
Plus lots of them have dirty punk handes and maybe some egg crud on the reel seat for instand stream cred.

I like the old g 1000 series "medium" good for steelhead , coho, pinks and chums.

All kidding aside. The Lamiglas showroom in woodland is a great place to get discounts on good gear..

8'6" medium. I think it's rated 8-15... get a bait caster. Superior to spinning on everything but bobber fishing..

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not top end but budget friendly and very functional would be something like the Okuma Celilo series.
What you end up with might be dictated by how you intend to fish. Drift, float etc…
Have fun shopping.
SF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
The Lamiglas showroom in woodland is a great place to get discounts on good gear..
Except that I have to factor in the $75 in gas and a full day of time to get down there and back.

I do like stopping there on my way to PDX on the rare occasion I head south. But a trip just to get a rod is probably out of the question.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
how you intend to fish. Drift, float etc…
I have no idea? Like I really know very little about gear salmon fishing. I vaguely know what those techniques are. But I have no idea when or why or how I would fish them (or with what).

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I have no idea? Like I really know very little about gear salmon fishing. I vaguely know what those techniques are. But I have no idea when or why or how I would fish them (or with what).

Drift fishing, at least the way I learned it with 3’ or less of leader is kind of a lost art.
Some folks equate float fishing to training wheels, but I find it fun as hell to watch a float go down.
If there are chums around and you want to just catch some fish rather then filing the freezer, a float and jig are hard to beat.
Lots of good videos on YouTube covering gear fishing techniques.
SF

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The plan is food?
Fish bait.
Sand shrimp and/or Eggs.

On a float or bouncing along the bottom.

Pick your poison.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Second the Okuma recommendation, but there’s also Shakespeare and in same price range. Not sure about Everett’ store but outdoor emporium downtown Seattle has so many conventional salmon gear rods it make you head spin. Older eagle claws, Diawa, and Berkeleys were good too….do t know much about their new stuff.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Hey Josh,

I like 9' 8-12 lb line rated, medium to fast action on my gear rods I use for salmon/steelhead. But, 8-15 lb line rating is probably going to be your best all around rod. I agree, bait caster reel will provide the best versatility. You can float fish, chuck hardware, or drift a corky.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
4647FAE2-C149-46A9-8457-DC5B5E1D1C19.png

You can get something decent at a budget price. There’s more options out there. I quickly looked up Everett SW’s site…. This rod rated for steelhead/salmon would work for bait plunking /spinners/ can even throw a wet fly on it. Many options out there.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Personally I use a eagle claw glass 8.6” 8-15lb Power Light series rod with a Garcia Mitchell 300 (old school all metal reel).

I’m no purist… meat runs come from time to time.

F2AFA1A3-F2FF-4262-B163-F3787CEE74A1.jpeg8EEF158D-5CFD-4E23-8F33-AEAA5EE3FA88.jpegCDE2E2F9-2DED-4651-8DB2-39BCF6ECD701.jpeg
I’m kinda an old school 70’s fan of some eagle claw/Wright and McGill rods. Power Light came out in 78-79’ if I’m right. Saved up some coin over a few weeks of summer mowing jobs to afford this bad ass puppy combo. Think the rod was around 27-28 bucks and the reel about 18.00. 45 bucks it cost me don’t remember exactly break out …. But that was a lot of money back then … plus I was paying off a loan to my parents who bought me the red snapper lawn mower. Paid it off in 3 months. Amazing how many people wanted their lawns mowed and trimmed back then by a 12 year old. Amazing how many evenings I fished back then too…. Haller Lake/Bitter Lake/ Echo Lake was hit hard back then.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Oh those Shakespear reels are good performers too and around 20-25 bucks One is for salt the other for trout in lakes. … the kids use to use that one a lot.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm a G Loomis gear rod guy.
They can take a beating.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
The plan is food?
Fish bait.
Sand shrimp and/or Eggs.

On a float or bouncing along the bottom.

Pick your poison.
Bait isn't necessary. I catch plenty twitching jigs and running spinners in the tributaries of the Columbia.. Even in the main stem Columbia those same tactics work great.

Josh, Okuma SST is an excellent stick for the money. That'd be my suggestion. Also depends if you want baitcaster or spinning rod. I am a baitcaster guy but spinning reels have their place too.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Also depends if you want baitcaster or spinning rod. I am a baitcaster guy but spinning reels have their place too.
Are the baitcasters the same as bass ones? Like Shimano SLX or Daiwa Fuego CT

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
You can use your bass rods for a lot of it. You probably already have the skills and the gear needed to twitch jigs for coho.
I've heard differing opinions on this. Some people say you can, some seem to think that's crazy. I have no idea what the answer is.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Okuma SST is an excellent stick for the money. That'd be my suggestion. Also depends if you want baitcaster or spinning rod. I am a baitcaster guy but spinning reels have their place too.
In what situation do you go spinning instead of bait caster? Or visa versa?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I've heard differing opinions on this. Some people say you can, some seem to think that's crazy. I have no idea what the answer is.

Some folks like shorter rods for twitching jigs. Some of your bass rods might serve well for doing so.
SF

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
In what situation do you go spinning instead of bait caster? Or visa versa?
Back when I did more gear and was running with a pretty fishy crowd, the spinning rod was spooled with braid for float fishing jigs/bait. The bait caster was spooled with hi vis mono for drift fishing corkies and yarn or whatever. The baitcaster preferred was the low profile 'bass' style, not the chonky Penns.