What's a budget gear rod for salmon?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
In what situation do you go spinning instead of bait caster? Or visa versa?
When I have guests who can't cast a baitcaster :p

Otherwise, I just use spinning rods for lightweight spinners if I'm not adding weight. Sometimes they're too light to effectively use on a baitcaster. But I run baitcaster for myself 99.9% of the time.

Back when I did more gear and was running with a pretty fishy crowd, the spinning rod was spooled with braid for float fishing jigs/bait. The bait caster was spooled with hi vis mono for drift fishing corkies and yarn or whatever. The baitcaster preferred was the low profile 'bass' style, not the chonky Penns.
I run braid on my baitcasters, but totally get why a lot of guys don't. It can definitely have some backlash issues from cutting in to itself and getting caught up. I keep having thoughts about swapping it out. I just find it casts way better when it's NOT getting caught.

I run a Daiwa Lexa as my primary, but would love to get a Shimano Curado as well.

headduck

Steelhead
I like shorter m/mh for bank obstructions both natural and people... sometimes I join the combat line.

Bait caster helps with rapid routine casts. I sometimes stumble over the spinning bail when the black mass is passing in front of me... get so excited...

Twitch jigs, corky and yarn, spoons, spinners all with the same rig... but mostly corky and yarn... and now a few poppers with a dropper.

Plus the cheaper sticks can be donated to the river gods without much worry.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use a spinning rod for very light tackle.
Small spinners, spoons and little cluster of eggs etc. Bait caster(level wind) reels won't throw a lite weight lure very far.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
for steelies, a M 9' spinning outfit with suitable size 30 reel, floating braided line, Thill slip float, suitable jig selection and the almighty...gasp...Berkley pink scented worm...hard to go wrong with an inexpensive Okuma SST or Lami X-11. There is a section of coastal river impossible to wade or effectively flyfish...lotta fun watching that float bob down the one narrow seam between steep wooded banks and suddenly go under.
For King's a 9' baitcaster model from the same lineup, 300 series bait casting reel, bigger float...if want to avoid bait, jigs...know a bankie who catches a lot of Kings using herring and sardine soft bait imitations...and I will not admit to keeping some in my skiff for those days when flies are ignored

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Perhaps also consider other uses you might want in the future for whatever set-up you decide on.
Based on where you live, saltwater would be another option.
Nothing wrong with spending the day on the beach tossing a rotator or buzz bomb for salmon. Fun way to fish and productive.
SF

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Power Light came out in 78-79’ if I’m right.
Those Eagle Claw yellow Powerlight rods date back to the 60s at least. That's what I was going to recommend Josh look around for. Probably a lottal old used ones hanging around in B'ham. I've got an ancient Powerlight in my garage, very durable compared to graphite rods and plenty sensitive. And suitable for fresh and salt water use. The big decision is whether to go spinning or bait casting. For freshwater river fishing, any bass baitcaster will do. For spinning, just get a Shimano Sahara 2500, not the cheapest and definitely not the most expensive, but they just work.

Rvrfisher360

Floatin’
Forum Supporter
Josh,

I'm happy to take you out with a bunch of my gear rods rigged up with different techniques so you can try float fishing on a longer rod, twitching jigs on a short rod, spinner fishing, etc. I primarily fish Loomis rods but I have Lami's and Okumas as well.

You can decide what you like and go from there!

Last edited:

Chadk

Life of the Party
I grew up spinner, spoon, and jig fishing (float or twitching). Those Okuma and Shimano rods are pretty good. TFO has some as well.

I like longer rods for all those applications. 9-10ft rods rated for 6-12lb line (lighter for summer steel, humpies, and coho), or a bit heavier for silvers, chum, and kings. Max UG mono is my go-to. 30lb braid on at least one rod. Maybe 20 or lighter braid for low clear conditions and smaller offerings.

Float and jig (or bait) - think bobber fishing with your jig fly... Same idea, so should be easy to figure out. Twitching jigs - similar to fishing streamers, just adding a bit more action with the twitch (just making the jig rise a foot or so by lifting and dropping the rod tip just enough, then free fall back as you reel, pause, reel, pause). Guys get careless and use this for snagging at times. Just don't rip it upward so hard. Typically, if I am lifting up and suddenly feel weight/pressure, I figure it is the side of a fish and resist setting the hook. A mouth bite is a harder tapping feeling and will 90% of the time happen on the drop - so a sensitive rod and paying attention to details helps. For spoon and spinner fishing, think swinging a fly. You want it low and just enough resistance to swing it down and around and don't underestimate the bite at or just after the final hang down. Silvers are notorious chasers. So always watch closely as they will chase right up to you at times.

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
You can never go wrong with a Shakespeare Ugly Stik. Abuse the bejeebers out of them and they come back for more. Other than that, I like Daiwa rods lots better than any of the newer Lamiglas' offerings.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Hi Josh. A close friend and fishing partner who is an expert fly caster but knows nothing about gear fishing just asked me the same question. I'm interpreting 'salmon' as river coho. Big kings require heavier stuff. Here's what I told him...

Float-specific rods are usually 10-10.5' two-piece models, casting or spinning and often a little soft = great for line control with floats, OK for spinners and spoons and shitty for twitching due to the physics of the long lever (a lot of work) and soft action. I have a stronger preference for casting reels (or centerpins) for better line control when float fishing. Don't neglect a big 20mm soft bead bounced along the bottom.

Rods made specifically for twitching jigs from the main companies (lamiglas, loomis, EDGE) are all 7.5 - 8' one-piece spinning rods = great for twitching (short lever and fast action), OK for spinners/spoons and shitty for float fishing. I have one or more from each of the companies noted above and a custom on an unknown blank and like the lighter Loomis (they make a heavier king-worthy version) the best but it's $$ and very niche so wouldn't recommend for a one-rod quiver.

The 9' rod in an 8-12lb rating recommended above will be great for spinners and spoons and OK for float and twitching so I concur with everyone on that recommendation.

I prefer a baitcaster for everything except twitching where the weight below the rod grip works for you and helps with small jigs which are often needed early season when it's low. 2500 size spinning reel might be more versatile from an all 'rounder perspective. Casting reels for salmon are generally a little bigger than the streamlined bass reels due to the heavier weight mono or braid - better for freespooling when drift fishing too. I have a top-end Shimano Conquest but prefer reels like the mid-range Tranx for the strong drag and line capacity when using 30-40' braid. Same with spinning, I have a beautiful Stella but always use my workhorse Stradics.

There are probably closer options like JerryD but if you're ever on the upper OP, feel free to give me a yell. I have at least three/four examples of each of the above in various weight ratings and a river out back to practice in.

I've been more focused on surfing lately but this thread has increased my low motivation. I think I'll go out and twitch a bit before the Bama game. Roll Tide!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Rods made specifically for twitching jigs from the main companies (lamiglas, loomis, EDGE) are all 7.5 - 8' one-piece spinning rods
What's the difference between this sort of rod and a 7.5-8ft bass spinning rod? Some folks seem to think the idea is crazy but others say "no difference, use your bass gear for jigs if you want".

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
What's the difference between this sort of rod and a 7.5-8ft bass spinning rod? Some folks seem to think the idea is crazy but others say "no difference, use your bass gear for jigs if you want".
I think it'd work great or at the worst, lots better than trying to do double duty by twitching with a float rod.

If I had an 8' fast action bass spinning rod, I would definitely prove to myself that it wasn't good enough before buying a twitching rod. For higher/faster water, a jig heavier than typical bass gear (I think) can be useful so that might be the thing to test - how the tip handles the weight with a snappy twitching action.

Chucker

Steelhead

As far as I can tell, having cast both, they are exactly the same except for the price tag.

7Derp

Freshly Spawned
I use a 8'6" St Croix Wild River Medium-Heavy, Fast spinning rod for everything from bluegill to 30lb chinook. Mine has been an absolute workhorse unit for the last decade or so. Nothing appears capable of snapping it, so far, even after many days of slamming big chinook and pulling them onto the bank.

They don't seem to make this rod any longer, but something around the same specs can handle a massive range of PNW fishing. I have no idea if any of the current St Croix rods are the same but with a different name.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
There's a 9ft medium, in the Ugly Stik GX2 line, if you want something really cheap. I bought one for bombarda fishing and it seems decent enough, to me.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I fished with a guide who handed us a couple bass rods for twitching jigs. I suppose if you're twitching jigs for bass, the the same rod will work for coho. You're tossing 3/8 to 1/2 of lead anyway...

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
To be honest it all depends on the kind of gear fishing you want to do. Float fishing is best done with a longer rod as you mend the line the same way you do when swinging. Spinners and spoons suggest a rod in the 9 foot range but you can get away with shorter, twitching jigs typically want something 6'6-7'6. An 8'6 8-15lb would be a good compromise that allows all kinds of fishing, but it would certainly be a jack of all trades rod. The 6-12lb celilo would be better for everything besides twitching. If I were you I would pick up that celilo and use one of your bass rods to twitch jigs. The "twitching jig" rods people buy are basically bass jig rods anyway, except slightly heavier.

I usually hit the water with two rods, one float setup, the other a lure setup. On a hatchery heavy river I will float eggs with a leader around 2 feet long, when I intend to CNR I will use a soft bead. Set the bobber high enough so that your presentation is from 6" to 2' above the bottom. If you are going after Chum, a marabou jig gets insane action. I caught around ten fish Thanksgiving morning that way, all on the inside of the mouth. Canadians have a really interesting thing for Coho: They'll put a single spinner blade in silver or copper underneath a bobber. I lost all mine to snags before I had a chance to catch a fish on them, so I am not sure how well they work.

Last edited: