NFR What I’m Drinking. What I’m Thinking.

Non-fishing related

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Drinking my second cup of Coffee and wondering how long the pain of fractured ribs is going to last.
I'm almost at the two week mark.
Long story short, don't use an air compressor as a step stool, have it flip over, and land with your ribcage on top of another compressor.:rolleyes:
6-8 weeks, brace your chest with a pillow if you have to caught or sneeze.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Yup. Blew the dust off the top of a Shiner Bock sixpack for the first time in 1982 when I first moved there. Don't remember what time of year it was, but back then there was a "season" for bock beer.
Believe it was around Thanksgiving-New Years. Or winter definitely.
Bocks are traditionally a Spring beer, associated with Easter. If I remember correctly from back when hubby and I brewed in the last century era BK, it's because a lower fermentation temp is required, so it's "aged" over the winter.

Having grown up in the midwest, I'd only ever had commercial American beers - Hamms, Miller, PBR, etc., so I thought beer was pretty nasty, and stuck to vodka. A year or so in at UT Austin - mid 80s, somebody at a kegger handed me a Shiner, and a world of microbrews opened up 😁 🍻
It's still one of my favorites, and lives in the little fridge under my tying bench out in the backyard shop

These days a 6 pack lasts about a month, tho 🙃

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Coffee in the morning, water during the day, water flavored with Mio in the evening.
Hot herbed tea on occasion.
A 6 pack of beer can last in our ‘frig for a year and we have a bottle of scotch, tequila and vodka that hasn’t been touched in over a few years.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Drinking my second cup of Coffee and wondering how long the pain of fractured ribs is going to last.
I'm almost at the two week mark.
Long story short, don't use an air compressor as a step stool, have it flip over, and land with your ribcage on top of another compressor.:rolleyes:
Oh, and so much for my opening day fishing plans.:cry:
Damn dude!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Bocks are traditionally a Spring beer, associated with Easter. If I remember correctly from back when hubby and I brewed in the last century era BK, it's because a lower fermentation temp is required, so it's "aged" over the winter.

Having grown up in the midwest, I'd only ever had commercial American beers - Hamms, Miller, PBR, etc., so I thought beer was pretty nasty, and stuck to vodka. A year or so in at UT Austin - mid 80s, somebody at a kegger handed me a Shiner, and a world of microbrews opened up 😁 🍻
It's still one of my favorites, and lives in the little fridge under my tying bench out in the backyard shop

These days a 6 pack lasts about a month, tho 🙃
So...the way I heard it at the time, (and I like this story better whether it's true or not) is that bock beer was the last batch of beer made every year before they cleaned the kettles. You can see the allure to that...

We were in Austin 82-83 then moved to property outside Bastrop until 88.
Texas was fun.
Free concerts on Wednesday nights at the river.
Closing 6th street to party for just about any ole reason.
The Opry House.
North vs South tug-o-war at the river.
Hub Cap Annie's.
Luchenbach
Lake Travis

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
So...the way I heard it at the time, (and I like this story better whether it's true or not) is that bock beer was the last batch of beer made every year before they cleaned the kettles. You can see the allure to that...
There's a great Tim Powers book called "The Drawing of the Dark" that revolves around an ancient brewing vat with an open bottom embedded in the ground, so the beer has an unbroken lineage to mythical times.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Water. And lots and lots of it.

Kidney stones are painful too, and drinking two - three liters/day might help.

“Where’s the head” is what I’m perpetually thinking lately!

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
There's a great Tim Powers book called "The Drawing of the Dark" that revolves around an ancient brewing vat with an open bottom embedded in the ground, so the beer has an unbroken lineage to mythical times.
Lol - must have read that 30+ years ago. Love Tim Powers!

Reactions: Zak

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Water with fresh lemon juice and two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Imagine a beverage that boosts your metabolism, dissolves kidney stones, and improves digestion. Win, win, win.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was drinking lukewarm tap water still thinking about the sequel to Good Will Hunting... it involves Will moving to California chasing Skyler, but getting bored without his Southie friends, finds a group of guys doing demo and starts palling around with them when he is not solving math equations as a night janitor in the halls of Caltech. Skyler soon dumps him because one of her Stanford Med buddies suggests Will is in fact a living ChatGPT bot engineered by grad students at MIT waaaaay before AI went mainstream. So new Will Hunting is basically West coast exactly the same as he was back in Boston, but no Skylar. Cut to demo job where a cinder block thrown at him as a joke by his new moron friends cuts his arm open, and underneath it all, there is machinery, Skyler's boyfriend was right, Will Hunting is a sentient robot being, hence his regurg of "Gordon Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth."

Good think/g I wasn't drinking anything stronger than lukewarm tap water

because if I was, that busting open of his arm and realization that he is a robot capable of revenge tees up the title....

Bad Will Hunting
Dem some good apples!!! I
Like ‘em

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I just started and finshed a flask of Lagavulin 16. My job requires me to do battle. Did battle today. Thinking that the deck is stacked for the people (corporations are people too) with money to burn with the local regular folks ground beneath the wheel (obscure Hesse reference there.).

Also thinking that ancient myths are warnings for today. E.g., Vampires are psychopaths.

Dragons are clearly big corporations. They live forever, exist only to amass wealth (which they roll in and use to shield themselvews from atack), and demand the sacrifice of our childrens' future.

Also, I am so, so excited to meet Tom Butler tomorrow and fish his haunts with him!

cedarslug

Steelhead
It’s fresh hop season, and I’m thinking about how quick kids grow

If you haven’t had Single Hill’s fresh hop offerings, you’re missing out. Also, where does the time go?