What flavor of weirdness do you have?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
It looked intentional and I was all set to copy your refined technique!
It does almost look like a little wing bud.

Reactions: Zak

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
i dont think its weirdness but lately its been winged wet flies, hairwing atlantic salmon flies, hairwing steelhead flies

what might be weird is that there are no steelhead in connecticut. i just like tying that style of fly. they could also be used for salmon
You keep me inspired. Recently I've had good luck getting the wings set. A bit much tail but the wings are OK.

Attachments

• 20230704_183014.jpg
    20230704_183014.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 15
I would say my particular brand of weirdness runs to tying old-fashioned flies with modern, usually synthetic, materials. One I tyed to emulate the pheasant-tail nymph that I call 'Today's Frank Sawyer', using copper holographic tinsel over-wound with clear Larva Lace, peacock ice dubbing and flashback for the wing case, for example.

Mini Slumpbusters...can't stop...I wish they made pine squirrel in more colors...or maybe I don't...these are rabbit...I do 'em in olive and brown with the squirrel

Sorry about the photo quality....gross

Attachments

• 20230705_154949.jpg
    20230705_154949.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230705_152331.jpg
    20230705_152331.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230705_145852.jpg
    20230705_145852.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 9

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I have a fairly unhealthy obsession with bucktail. Any time I tie a pattern that doesn't typically use bucktail I almost always try to find a way to add some.

Like Brian I tie an absurd amount of clousers. They're just so damned effective, and I highly enjoy tying them as well as tweaking em with different materials and such.

My absolute favorite though is tying albacore flies. I have more albacore flies on hand than I could go through in the next 5 seasons. I don't tend to lose a lot of flies offshore after all. Still, anytime I sit down at the vise I almost always start off with a tuna fly. If I'm wanting to tie but not sure what, it'll be a tuna fly. Hell, if I sit down to tie two dozen Squimps for upcoming trips I still almost always find myself putting a 2/0 in the vise before I know it.

I enjoy tying all manner of saltwater flies to some degree, but albacore flies is what I find myself enjoying more than anything

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I would say my particular brand of weirdness runs to tying old-fashioned flies with modern, usually synthetic, materials. One I tyed to emulate the pheasant-tail nymph that I call 'Today's Frank Sawyer', using copper holographic tinsel over-wound with clear Larva Lace, peacock ice dubbing and flashback for the wing case, for example.
Love the Rush reference! Today's Frank Sawyer, mean, mean fly!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I have a fairly unhealthy obsession with bucktail. Any time I tie a pattern that doesn't typically use bucktail I almost always try to find a way to add some.

YOU have an unhealthy bucktail obsession!? 😆😆😆

I should throw up a photo of the premium stuff alone I've purchased....nevermind....I don't wanna see the numbers and calculate my cost on those.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
YOU have an unhealthy bucktail obsession!? 😆😆😆

I should throw up a photo of the premium stuff alone I've purchased....nevermind....I don't wanna see the numbers and calculate my cost on those.

Haha No doubt you've got me beat in the quality department, and along the same lines probably the financial investment department as well. However, I may need to empty out my bucktail drawer and take stock of just how many I have on hand. If it's less than triple digits I'll be awfully surprised!
Speaking of that...have you ever thrown away a bucktail? I don't know that I ever have. I have a whole separate container full of mostly used up bucktails that have just a bit of hair that I just know I'll be able to make use of some day haha. For that matter, how is it that I can have so many tails yet I'm always missing one color anytime I sit down to tie something new? One of life's great mysteries!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I've never thrown any away. I can always find a use for the stuff I can't use on musky flies....like tuna flies. :LOL:

I also have found many uses for the backside as well.

actually, just thought of another....stay tuned in the vise thread...lol

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Tube flies and clousers. Spent a few months fishing only clousers one year, everything from #22s to 4/0, and caught fish on them in creeks, rivers, lakes, and salt. No noticeable drop in productivity, and I was going to do the whole year, but it got boring.

Tube flies because they fish beautifully, are bombproof, can go from surface skaters to deep divers without changing flies, can fish multiple species with a simple hook chang, and they don’t rust.

I have a hard time tying more than three flies of a pattern and color, so I also like to experiment. I'm currently playing with tube flies with short interchangeable sections.

edit: Just realized that I was supposed to add a picture.

Tubes I’m happy with (and had a handy photo of)
1688626587444.jpeg

Experiments with squimp (a productive pattern that’s not mine)
1688626884560.jpeg
led to these abject failures. Look fine, and they keel and kick properly, but they don't even get a nibble from any fish in any fishery I've thrown them.
1688626959082.jpeg
1688626985910.jpeg
#22 Clouser
1688627605701.jpeg

Last edited: