What flavor of weirdness do you have?

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
Im sitting here this morning thinking of my particular tying weirdness. For some strange reason every time I sit down at the desk I end up tying Steelhead flys. Not sure why, I could never possibly fish all the flys I have. I guess it just makes me feel good and maybe think that I will actually use them someday😬

How about you?

What weirdness are you predominantly drawn to at the vise?

Photos please!
IMG_6121.jpeg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I’m the same
I like tying big flies:
View attachment 71321View attachment 71322
I'll see you and raise you...I don't have any photos with all of what I currently have....probably need a wide angle fish eye lens or something....lol
IKVnTo4.jpg

uwQYEP1.jpg

jTJjh1X.jpg

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
i dont think its weirdness but lately its been winged wet flies, hairwing atlantic salmon flies, hairwing steelhead flies

what might be weird is that there are no steelhead in connecticut. i just like tying that style of fly. they could also be used for salmon

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Thank you! This forum and it's depth along with everyone who participates has been an invaluable resource as I made the transition from buying flies for many decades to tying them. Alot of inspiration and creativity along with functionality and the keep it simple principle, really good stuff here.

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
This is what I've been tying over the winter and into summer, all kinds of different stuff, working on building up fundamental skills, it's been fun and relaxing, lots of shredded flies along the way.View attachment 71327
Im also a big fan of shredding and trying to make them prettier.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Clouser minnows.
I probably have over 500 here at my place. Hell, might even be 1K as I’ve got boxes of them yet I continue tie more. I like to change and tweak things on them to suit my own fishing, particularly belly treatments.
Kudos to Bob Clouser for coming up with such a great fish catching pattern. Not much won’t eat a clouser.
SF

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Clouser minnows.
I probably have over 500 here at my place. Hell, might even be 1K as I’ve got boxes of them yet I continue tie more. I like to change and tweak things on them to suit my own fishing, particularly belly treatments.
Kudos to Bob Clouser for coming up with such a great fish catching pattern. Not much won’t eat a clouser.
SF
Clouser warehouse!

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
i dont think its weirdness but lately its been winged wet flies, hairwing atlantic salmon flies, hairwing steelhead flies

what might be weird is that there are no steelhead in connecticut. i just like tying that style of fly. they could also be used for salmon

Well, steelheading around these parts are getting pretty slim, but you’ll find me a few days a week in the canyon casting long belly’s and keeping my spey game up to snuff in hopes that someday…. It also makes me feel good😎

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I would say that my weirdness is centered around a firm belief in hare's ear mask and Partridge feathers for trout stream flies. Seems to get incorporated into everything. The Partridge came from Zen leecher, and I always think the flies have extra Bill magic. I'm weird, I know.
20230704_104810.jpg

Attachments

• 20230704_112113.jpg
    20230704_112113.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 15

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
I would say that my weirdness is centered around a firm belief in hare's ear mask and Partridge feathers for trout stream flies. Seems to get incorporated into everything. The Partridge came from Zen leecher, and I always think the flies have extra Bill magic. I'm weird, I know.
View attachment 71348
Bill was a great guy, I still have a Remington 700 .243 that I bought from him a long time ago.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
View attachment 71348
Have you got a little bubble of something behind the hackle on the partridge and orange? What is that?

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Have you got a little bubble of something behind the hackle on the partridge and orange? What is that?
Just an errant, uneven tuft of hare's ear fur. It will fish fine.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Maybe better than without the happy accident!
Ya just never know until it gets wet. The fur kinda slid on the thread and I thought whatever, it'll hold some air and still prop some hackle up.

Reactions: Zak