What fishing are you dreaming of right now?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
We're in a dreary part of the year and the weather the past few weeks has been pretty cruddy for many of us. Be it closed water or cold temps, except for some very hearty individuals, fishing is more of a dream than a reality for most folks.

So what fishing is occupying your dreams right now? Wishing for warm saltwater adventures in the south? Gearing up for the lake opener down the road? Or perhaps just wishing for the warm days of local summer trout/bass fishing?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I myself am looking forward to spring bass this year. I've got some time off in what should be prime aggressive bass days and I'm hoping to use it. I'm going to make the effort to double down on bass on the fly this year. @Billy's photos make me envious of that monsters he finds with his fancy poppers. I don't have as many big bass in my local haunts. But I've got both smallmouth and largemouth lakes to enjoy. A warm late spring evening casting out to the structure will make me real happy.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Honestly, just getting out at all. My Winter fishing has been plagued by surgery and a seemingly endless ping pong game of getting sick between me, my wife and my kid.

But if I'm going to play the game, I'm MOST looking forward to wet wading with a glass rod and a size 14/16 foam caddis fly.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
One thing I like about living in a temperate climate like wetern WA is you can pretty much fish 365 days per if you find the motivation to do so in some less than stellar weather and wind conditions. I do so to keep myself sane……
Sometimes I go and not even wet a line but I’ll explore new to me places for future trips.
SF

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
I literally had a dream about fishing for pinks from the beach last night. I was in a strange area, not the Puget Sound. There were lots of people playing in the water and floating on inflatable inner tubes etc. Not the dreamiest situation and fishery but that’s what was going through my head in my sleep.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I don’t have any big trips planned through the spring that are fishing related. Headed to Costa Rica soon but probably will not fish. Still TBD though. For now, I am content getting out every weekend at least once to chase SRC and/or trout in lakes and eventually bass. I have not targeted steelhead in 9 years and even then, only a handful of times but might try and make it out for a weekend camping in the next month or so. Also considering the same for musky later in the spring at a lake I have not tried. Considering the same for as eastern WA for trout/bass too. General theme, maybe travel a bit more on weekends and camp in truck this spring to try some new fisheries.

Starting in July, packed schedule! Annual AK trip, salmon galore (assuming we get seasons) and two tuna trips. Will probably get a short MT or ID in trip in as well. Hawaii later this year where I’ll casually fish for whatever presents itself off the beach.

dbaken

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
There's a lake in central Oregon that I like to idly day dream about. Kicking around in the float tube on a hot day with the hatch coming off. I mostly have a hard time catching fish on the lake, but usually get a day or two when I can figure out what is working. It's especially fun when the guide boats can't figure it out and you're hooking up consistently. They'll move in and crowd you out of your little area because they are getting frustrated :).

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I myself am looking forward to spring bass this year. I've got some time off in what should be prime aggressive bass days and I'm hoping to use it. I'm going to make the effort to double down on bass on the fly this year. @Billy's photos make me envious of that monsters he finds with his fancy poppers. I don't have as many big bass in my local haunts. But I've got both smallmouth and largemouth lakes to enjoy. A warm late spring evening casting out to the structure will make me real happy.

Same. I've had poor luck with trout in Western Wa the last few years (odds are I am doing it wrong, and my casting game is weak) but after doing some bass/pan fish fishing this Fall down south, I want to do that here as well. Looking forward to slightly warmer weather in a few months (after the snow pack hopefully builds up) to try my hand at some of the local lakes/ponds.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
looking forward to where I have been getting my salmon fix for the last couple of years...jigging for Kings out of Half Moon Bay on my friend's Grady White, using my 9wt switch, straight 40# mono loaded on a CLA 6, hair raisers with an anchovy filet. Park on the edge of a bait school and have at it...one session in 60' we picked up King's and a coupla nice lings.
And always a trip to be back in the port that I spent my 20's at, first as a swing shift harbormaster, and then as the skipper on a 65' Ed Monk designed steel sportsfisher...such fun years

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
LM bass 8 minutes from my house in 10 days. Also local SM bass half hour from home.
Local Sockeye in July.
Gotta get some decent weather to finish upgrades on my boat. Have to do the work outside because I have no indoor storage.
Adding 2 new Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv depthfinders and a Scotty electric downrigger for kokanee and sockeye.
Honest disclosure, I've been quite obsessed with fishing during all the cold dark times we're in. I can't get enough You Tube, In Fisherman magazine, Al Lindner,
Timmy Horton, any thing bass or walleye right now.🤯🤪

Last edited: