What Are You Eating?

klq@stl

Steelhead
Recently smoked a corned beef. 220 in the smoker till internal temp was 165, then wrapped in foil with apple cider till 195. Here is the result with some home baked sandwich rye.

Attachments

• 20231210_204808.jpg
    20231210_204808.jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231215_234109.jpg
    20231215_234109.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231215_231706.jpg
    20231215_231706.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 16

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Chapulines...
Better than you'd think...but not a main course.
Snack food, better than Doritos.
😁

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Recently smoked a corned beef. 220 in the smoker till internal temp was 165, then wrapped in foil with apple cider till 195. Here is the result with some home baked sandwich rye.
My favorite sandwich, hands down: Rueben on rye* with good saurkraut and dressing. Looks delicious!

The absolutely WORST sandwich I've ever had was an Arby's Rueben. I don't know what that stuff was between slices of bland, stale bread.... ;-)

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I'm an adventurous eater. but usually hold the line at insects...
My wife's maternal grandparents lived in a mountainous region of Yamanashi Prefecture perhaps 30 miles or so north of Mt. Fuji. Their oldest son stayed on the family property. They had rice paddies on the steep slope up to their property, they raised a couple varieties of grapes for the table and raised silk worms. I helped my wife's uncle pick mullberry leaves for the worms and helped a bit with sorting and packaging grape clusters. Meals were delicious but one of the appetizers was a bit over the top for me. Obachan prepared a few variations of tsukudani, one of which was crickets:
1702951847866.png

A Google image ---^ I ate the crickets, not my favorite. There were also often little clams prepared in the same way, delicious. To the best of my knowledge I haven't eaten any crickets since then.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
My wife's maternal grandparents lived in a mountainous region of Yamanashi Prefecture perhaps 30 miles or so north of Mt. Fuji. Their oldest son stayed on the family property. They had rice paddies on the steep slope up to their property, they raised a couple varieties of grapes for the table and raised silk worms. I helped my wife's uncle pick mullberry leaves for the worms and helped a bit with sorting and packaging grape clusters. Meals were delicious but one of the appetizers was a bit over the top for me. Obachan prepared a few variations of tsukudani, one of which was crickets:
View attachment 95457

A Google image ---^ I ate the crickets, not my favorite. There were also often little clams prepared in the same way, delicious. To the best of my knowledge I haven't eaten any crickets since then.
I love Japanese food...but I just can't get natto past my nose into my mouth...

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I love Japanese food...but I just can't get natto past my nose into my mouth...
I hear you about natto. I turned up my nose to the smell and the "texture" (okra on steroids?) for years but then one morning at our daughter's house in Nagoya, her two year old was enjoying natto over rice so I tried it and thought "why didn't I like this?" Natto with a fried egg on top, some kimchee and crunchy garlic sauce over rice: one of my favorites (for breakfast this morning). My wife has gotten into fermenting soy beans and they're pretty good. I think I'm going to take it up a notch and get a heat pad for the oven that I can dial in the temperature for the process.

flybill

Life of the Party
My kids gave me these for my birthday in October. I tried them, but can't say I've made much of a dent in them.
View attachment 95392
Put them on a hook and fish with them!! Get the "spicy" fish...

I have actually had cricket's before.. they were covered in chocolate though! Not bad, but I won't go out of my way for them. And I know they have cricket flour, you may have told me that Zak!

Reactions: Zak