What Are You Eating?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Hey Buzzy, we pick nettles every spring. Usually just enough for a dish or two. I was going to make nettle and cheese Pierogi but wanted something easier so mashed potatoes it was. I wilt them in in a pot with just a little water for a few minutes which deactivates the stinging properties, then chop fine and add to whatever you are making. The potatoes were inspired by your basic kale mashed potatoes or colcannon potatoes. They were good!
View attachment 61151
They are good for arthritis. My dad buys the powder and fills gell caps with it. I bought some nettle seeds and plan on planting them in a swampy, shaded area of the property.

Bagman

Steelhead
When the wife and I first got married I was in the Air Force going to tech school. She was looking for a job so we were on the poor side. Our next door neighbors were also just married but both of them had jobs. The girl next door fixed this and gave us some of her food on the cheap. 1/2 pound, grown meat a can of green chilis, and a can of refried bean. We still eat this after 56 years of marriage but now we can afford cheese. I still pair this with a glass of water, but the wife drinks a coke.

Attachments

• 553A2B3B-5585-46AA-A43D-C71343995A24.jpeg
    553A2B3B-5585-46AA-A43D-C71343995A24.jpeg
    653 KB · Views: 19

dep

Steelhead
When the wife and I first got married I was in the Air Force going to tech school. She was looking for a job so we were on the poor side. Our next door neighbors were also just married but both of them had jobs. The girl next door fixed this and gave us some of her food on the cheap. 1/2 pound, grown meat a can of green chilis, and a can of refried bean. We still eat this after 56 years of marriage but now we can afford cheese. I still pair this with a glass of water, but the wife drinks a coke.
my mom could make a lb of ground beef feed 8 of us (6 kids). she's add onions, garlic and seasoning to the beef. make a batch of mexican rice and a pot of pinto beans, plus homemade flour tortillas. I never used a fork when tortillas were on the table. your photo brought back some childhood memories.

dep

Steelhead
my grandparents were from the towns of Toppenish and Grainger respectively in the Yakima Valley. in between was Zillah. back in the late 70's as a young kid (12-14 yrs old), I would pick cherries with my Grainger grandparents and I fondly remember flour tortilla burritos for lunch leaning against the trunk of cherry trees. Our parents taught us how to work at a relatively young age. we didn't know any different. but we thought we were kings when we could buy our own school clothes: swabbies and puma tennis shoes. those were the days. sorry for high jacking this post.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
When I first started my own business, I paid my employees first, my vendors next…and ate a lot of .29 ramen…I still occasionally enjoy it 40 years later…

klq@stl

Steelhead
Anchovies: not just for bait. I am cooking to keep busy during retirement. Have really enjoyed baking, and now m exploring other things.
Besides Caesar Salad Dressing, do any of you use paste or fillets in your cooking? I just added 4-5 oiled fillets with my onion and garlic into spaghetti sauce. This was not fishy at all.
Any tips or ideas?

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anchovies: not just for bait. I am cooking to keep busy during retirement. Have really enjoyed baking, and now m exploring other things.
Besides Caesar Salad Dressing, do any of you use paste or fillets in your cooking? I just added 4-5 oiled fillets with my onion and garlic into spaghetti sauce. This was not fishy at all.
Any tips or ideas?
I use the cookbook Good Fish which has several little fish recipes. I haven't tried any of them yet but if I always have a sabiki rig tied up for if I encountered a local school and had the time that day to expiriment

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use the cookbook Good Fish which has several little fish recipes. I haven't tried any of them yet but if I always have a sabiki rig tied up for if I encountered a local school and had the time that day to expiriment
Just checking and it looks like most are actually using sardines or herring rather than anchovies. Don't know if they would work as substitutes

Zak

Legend
Along the lines of @klq@stl 's question, what can I do with a bunch of canned sardines in oil? I don't care for them straight out of the can.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I used to eat a cheap dish called fish spaghetti.
Take a big slug of olive oil in a pot, add a diced onion and 4-6 cloves minced garlic and cook on lowest heat for like 20 minutes, sweating the onion almost, not fried or browned. Then add 1 tin anchovies, 1 can tuna( drained) 1 can tomato sauce and 1 can water.

Cover and cook down on low till the can of water is gone, and the sauce is all thickened, serve over egg noodles. Got the recipe from a friends Mom, they had 5 boys in the Italian family and so this was a cheap meal they had back in the 60's and 70's. I still make it at times, top with parmesan.
It is good...

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Any tips or ideas?
Anchovy paste in everything...just use less salt accordingly...and a crap load of anchovies on my pizza...

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I used to eat a cheap dish called fish spaghetti.
Take a big slug of olive oil in a pot, add a diced onion and 4-6 cloves minced garlic and cook on lowest heat for like 20 minutes, sweating the onion almost, not fried or browned. Then add 1 tin anchovies, 1 can tuna( drained) 1 can tomato sauce and 1 can water.

Cover and cook down on low till the can of water is gone, and the sauce is all thickened, serve over egg noodles. Got the recipe from a friends Mom, they had 5 boys in the Italian family and so this was a cheap meal they had back in the 60's and 70's. I still make it at times, top with parmesan.
It is good...
that actually sounds good...on a toasted baguette...

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I ate a lot of this, many different ways...
It is decent on a flat bread pizza configuration, and I have added some pepper flakes to it as well.
Was a staple of my 'cheap eats' for a long time, still is.
:)

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Spanish boquerones are worth a try if you haven’t already. A bit spendy but worth it IMO.
I like them…but they are more of a pickled anchovy, great as a tapas on a cracker or on a salad. Salty dead fish ground up as a paste and stuffed into a tube is my secret ingredient in chili’s, stews, and tomato based pasta sauces…